• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

FULLBACKS

#1 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 28 December 2019 - 19:39

This HAS to be our priority in January. ESPECIALLY right back. I wouldnt even have Serge as a back up RB as he costs us ATLEAST goal every 2 games.

#2 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 28 December 2019 - 19:44

View PostSpursDan, on 28 December 2019 - 19:39, said:

This HAS to be our priority in January. ESPECIALLY right back. I would even have Serge as a back up RB as he costs us ATLEAST goal every 2 games.

We've ditched 3 RB's in Trips, Serge and KWP...…….perhaps Frankenstein's love child is the problem.

#3 User is offline   bohsmart79 

• Youth Squad
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2019 - 10:34

just sign matt Doherty off wolves.ideal right back and right wing back.give them walker peters in any deal should be enough

#4 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 December 2019 - 10:45

View Postbohsmart79, on 29 December 2019 - 10:34, said:

just sign matt Doherty off wolves.ideal right back and right wing back.give them walker peters in any deal should be enough

Lol, perhaps we can give Wamyama to City and they'll give us Kev Brown.

#5 User is offline   electricpace 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2019 - 12:27

View PostSpursDan, on 28 December 2019 - 19:39, said:

This HAS to be our priority in January. ESPECIALLY right back. I wouldnt even have Serge as a back up RB as he costs us ATLEAST goal every 2 games.

£100M should do it. Fingers crossed !

#6 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 December 2019 - 13:10

Need full backs with pace, ideally that know a bit about defending too. RB has been a big issue since Walker left.

Serge too crazy
Trippier too slow
KWP just not good enough

Wan Bisaka was the one I really wanted and some people laughed at the 50m spent but Man U have sorted their RB position with a fantastic young player.

#7 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 December 2019 - 13:24

View PostChrisPienaar, on 29 December 2019 - 13:10, said:

Need full backs with pace, ideally that know a bit about defending too. RB has been a big issue since Walker left.

Serge too crazy
Trippier too slow
KWP just not good enough

Wan Bisaka was the one I really wanted and some people laughed at the 50m spent but Man U have sorted their RB position with a fantastic young player.

You should mention that they also bought a CB for £85M in the same window. I agree that this might work if we spent £135M on our defence.

#8 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 December 2019 - 15:24

View PostYidio Yidio, on 29 December 2019 - 13:24, said:

You should mention that they also bought a CB for £85M in the same window. I agree that this might work if we spent £135M on our defence.

Yes they did, on someone who they’ve made their captain I believe?

CBS are not our most desperate position IMO. We need full backs and a defensive mid which is where the big problem areas are. Toby is a top CB and he’s staying so it’s just about whether Vert/Sanchez/Foyth can parter him. We also have a few players to sell that won’t affect our squad depth.
As I’ve said in other threads, our squad needs a couple of windows because we need to sell some and bring some in.

#9 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 December 2019 - 16:20

View PostChrisPienaar, on 29 December 2019 - 15:24, said:

Yes they did, on someone who they’ve made their captain I believe?

CBS are not our most desperate position IMO. We need full backs and a defensive mid which is where the big problem areas are. Toby is a top CB and he’s staying so it’s just about whether Vert/Sanchez/Foyth can parter him. We also have a few players to sell that won’t affect our squad depth.
As I’ve said in other threads, our squad needs a couple of windows because we need to sell some and bring some in.

We'll have to disagree on Toby, he's as much a problem as anything else imo, the fact he's got a new contract doesn't alter my opinion.

The top sides who've addressed their defence of late include Pool, United and Pep at City. All spent over £100M in doing so. Arse have continued to fail through ignoring their defence to a degree and Leicester stand out as the club who improved theirs and made profit.

Add Chels to the mix and Rudiger, Christiansen etc, propbably pushes them over the £100M mark with a new manager giving Tomori his chance from their youth set up.

Our defence meanwhile has stood still largely being put together on a zero net spend. It's harsh, but only Sanchez and Foyth are keepers, the rest needs an overhaul, but as with Toby, we're left trying to find a cheap solution that hits top 4.

I'm leaning towards the notion that missing out on CL might benefit us more in the long run, which, makes the Jose appointment daft.

#10 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 December 2019 - 17:17

We have tied Toby down for a few years but ,in all honesty, I think Sanchez should be developed as our number 1 right sided central defender. We are being linked with a number of central defenders the latest 2 being Upamecano and Varane. We really need someone to play alongside Sanchez and it would be better to go for a more experienced player such as Varane. Look what VVD has done for Liverpool and his fellow central defenders are pretty mediocre by comparison. The ones continually linked with us seem to be right footers though although looking at Varane,despite being predominantly a right footer he can use his left as well. Also someone as good as Varane will cost lots more than Someone like Upamecano.
Perhaps if we get a top notch defensive midfielder to help out the defence it might be ok to keep Jan for a while and develop, what’s his name,cant remember.

#11 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 December 2019 - 18:06

View Postgriff, on 29 December 2019 - 17:17, said:

We have tied Toby down for a few years but ,in all honesty, I think Sanchez should be developed as our number 1 right sided central defender. We are being linked with a number of central defenders the latest 2 being Upamecano and Varane. We really need someone to play alongside Sanchez and it would be better to go for a more experienced player such as Varane. Look what VVD has done for Liverpool and his fellow central defenders are pretty mediocre by comparison. The ones continually linked with us seem to be right footers though although looking at Varane,despite being predominantly a right footer he can use his left as well. Also someone as good as Varane will cost lots more than Someone like Upamecano.
Perhaps if we get a top notch defensive midfielder to help out the defence it might be ok to keep Jan for a while and develop, what’s his name,cant remember.

We just can't keep Verts as well as Toby, it's almost like waving a white flag on the team. We've got a CM in N'dombele who cost £50M+ We've got a bloke who will cost £13M just to send home. We've got Winks and Sissy who some want rid of, yet everyone seems happy with Toby, whilst he costs us goals with terrible defending in his last 2 games.

We're stuck with him, great. Lets pretend he's still good enough and remain on the fence about Jose.

It's the only solid move made since he became manager and it's poor, very poor.

#12 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 December 2019 - 19:21

View PostYidio Yidio, on 29 December 2019 - 18:06, said:

We just can't keep Verts as well as Toby, it's almost like waving a white flag on the team. We've got a CM in N'dombele who cost £50M+ We've got a bloke who will cost £13M just to send home. We've got Winks and Sissy who some want rid of, yet everyone seems happy with Toby, whilst he costs us goals with terrible defending in his last 2 games.

We're stuck with him, great. Lets pretend he's still good enough and remain on the fence about Jose.

It's the only solid move made since he became manager and it's poor, very poor.

He also needs a damn good right back alongside him. His mind is not just on his own job but he’s got to think about the clown to his right as well. He’s ,of late,often been played on the left which is not his natural position.When either him or Sanchez plays ,unless we buy ,it should be with Jan to their left in a back 4 with two good full backs. The back four needs to be settled, ours rarely is or has been for years ,thanks to Poch’s continual full back rotation.

#13 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 December 2019 - 19:44

Trent AA and Robertson didn’t cost Liverpool much - it was good scouting and also good youth etc
If we do things properly we don’t have to spend as much as people think

#14 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 December 2019 - 22:35

View Postgriff, on 29 December 2019 - 19:21, said:

He also needs a damn good right back alongside him. His mind is not just on his own job but he’s got to think about the clown to his right as well. He’s ,of late,often been played on the left which is not his natural position.When either him or Sanchez plays ,unless we buy ,it should be with Jan to their left in a back 4 with two good full backs. The back four needs to be settled, ours rarely is or has been for years ,thanks to Poch’s continual full back rotation.

Well, he's gone through Trips, Aurier and KWP. So lets keep trying until we find one with enough ability to protect him. I think that's back to front thinking, it should be us finding a CB pairing good enough to cover flying full backs.

As Dan points out, with a very good CB you can develop FB's. But we're all talking about new FB's , a new DCM and a new keeper whilst planting a regressing CB right at the heart of it. Ridiculous.

#15 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 02 January 2020 - 15:42

View PostSpursDan, on 29 December 2019 - 19:44, said:

Trent AA and Robertson didn’t cost Liverpool much - it was good scouting and also good youth etc
If we do things properly we don’t have to spend as much as people think

Exactly exactly exactly

The issue isn’t “Jose needs cash” the issue is recruitment.

Jose style is not in direct transfer conflict with Arsenal, City and Chelsea - more so Liverpool. (Bar wing backs as a rare commodity)

Jose style doesn’t require the most expensive players, it requires the right players.
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#16 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 02 January 2020 - 15:44

View PostYidio Yidio, on 29 December 2019 - 22:35, said:

Well, he's gone through Trips, Aurier and KWP. So lets keep trying until we find one with enough ability to protect him. I think that's back to front thinking, it should be us finding a CB pairing good enough to cover flying full backs.

As Dan points out, with a very good CB you can develop FB's. But we're all talking about new FB's , a new DCM and a new keeper whilst planting a regressing CB right at the heart of it. Ridiculous.

Sorry but Trippier, KWP, Aurier, Wanyama, Dier......and Winks-Sissoko

Are we honestly going to write off Toby with the right backs you’ve listed, and the combinations of screens in front of him

#17 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 02 January 2020 - 18:29

View PostRoger Redknapp, on 02 January 2020 - 15:44, said:

Sorry but Trippier, KWP, Aurier, Wanyama, Dier......and Winks-Sissoko

Are we honestly going to write off Toby with the right backs you’ve listed, and the combinations of screens in front of him

Yes, because the epl is a graveyard for players without pace or regressing in mobility. Or does that only apply to Dier.

It's strange but I guarantee without a new contract and Toby being replaced I doubt one person would call letting him go a mistake.

#18 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 02 January 2020 - 18:59

View PostYidio Yidio, on 02 January 2020 - 18:29, said:

Yes, because the epl is a graveyard for players without pace or regressing in mobility. Or does that only apply to Dier.

It's strange but I guarantee without a new contract and Toby being replaced I doubt one person would call letting him go a mistake.

Retaining neither of Toby and Jan would have been a silly move.

I don’t buy into this “his pace has massively dropped” b******s. He’s 30, not 40 ffs

#19 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 02 January 2020 - 19:54

View PostRoger Redknapp, on 02 January 2020 - 18:59, said:

I don’t buy into this “his pace has massively dropped” b******s. He’s 30, not 40 ffs

Then watch him play football, and see how often he gets caught out lacking. ffs

#20 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 02 January 2020 - 22:48

View PostRoger Redknapp, on 02 January 2020 - 18:59, said:

He's clearly lost a couple yards Rog. It's plain as day.

I'm hoping he adjusts as to me it looks like he's positioning himself as if he still had the pace of 2 years ago. If he can adjust to his current limitations he can yet be an important part of a solid backline for us with the right players around him, but on current showings he and Jan are in fairly rapid decline.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users