Gedson Fernandes

#41 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 21 January 2020 - 15:23

View PostYidio Yidio, on 21 January 2020 - 14:29, said:

Yet Bruno is doing the same and everyone thinks he is top banana

For over a year I don't think we should be in for any players that can't defend. Whether they are good or not is a moot point. We've wasted 100-200m that could be spent elsewhere.

I don't care who the managers or players are. If they can't defend and don't hit the ground running they are useless.

#42 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 21 January 2020 - 15:50

View Post50 Cent, on 21 January 2020 - 15:23, said:

For over a year I don't think we should be in for any players that can't defend. Whether they are good or not is a moot point. We've wasted 100-200m that could be spent elsewhere.

I don't care who the managers or players are. If they can't defend and don't hit the ground running they are useless.

Again, I disagree. More and more players we buy take time. I will list some

Son
Modric
Bale
Eriksen

Just a few, as opposed to instant hits

Alli
Berba
VDV
Toby

#43 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Club Captain

Posted 21 January 2020 - 18:37

View PostYidio Yidio, on 21 January 2020 - 15:50, said:

Again, I disagree. More and more players we buy take time. I will list some

Son
Modric
Bale
Eriksen

Just a few, as opposed to instant hits

Alli
Berba
VDV
Toby

No, I am talking about simple £10-20m proven Premier League signings in areas we need such as Wanyama etc.

We had every chance of signing someone like N'Didi for example as a Wanyama replacement one or two years ago.

In general I can't remember a good signing Pochettino made after Wanyama.

There is a difference in signing future prospects and foreigners in the wrong positions and hoping they come good, as opposed to recognising you are second in the league and signing the best players from mid-table clubs before they over take you.

The mentality was sign no one and keep contracts when it needed to be mixed with signing proven Premier League competition for when someone crocks.

#44 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 21 January 2020 - 20:41

View Post50 Cent, on 21 January 2020 - 18:37, said:

No, I am talking about simple 10-20m proven Premier League signings in areas we need such as Wanyama etc.

We had every chance of signing someone like N'Didi for example as a Wanyama replacement one or two years ago.

In general I can't remember a good signing Pochettino made after Wanyama.

There is a difference in signing future prospects and foreigners in the wrong positions and hoping they come good, as opposed to recognising you are second in the league and signing the best players from mid-table clubs before they over take you.

The mentality was sign no one and keep contracts when it needed to be mixed with signing proven Premier League competition for when someone crocks.

I've lost track of your point. I'm merely pointing out the logic of our summer signings. There is a logic that makes perfect sense, as I tried to point out. We made an attempt to replace possibly the 2 biggest losses from the squad in Eriksen and Dembele.

Sisskho is an example of proven prem standard taking time, not sure how long Trips took to settle as another. I possibly class Dier as foreign when we bought him.

It's now a long term plan for Maureen, but, there was clearly alot of hope he would get top 4 this year even if most are willinging to cut him slack for inventing phase 1 as something else. It was clearly top 4 this season as mission 1. Not that I'd hang him for failing, my concern is more based on the football on view, and yes, I still believe this squad is capable of better performances.

#45 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Club Captain

Posted 23 January 2020 - 19:06

View PostYidio Yidio, on 21 January 2020 - 20:41, said:

I've lost track of your point. I'm merely pointing out the logic of our summer signings. There is a logic that makes perfect sense, as I tried to point out. We made an attempt to replace possibly the 2 biggest losses from the squad in Eriksen and Dembele.

Sisskho is an example of proven prem standard taking time, not sure how long Trips took to settle as another. I possibly class Dier as foreign when we bought him.

It's now a long term plan for Maureen, but, there was clearly alot of hope he would get top 4 this year even if most are willinging to cut him slack for inventing phase 1 as something else. It was clearly top 4 this season as mission 1. Not that I'd hang him for failing, my concern is more based on the football on view, and yes, I still believe this squad is capable of better performances.

The point is that Eriksen and Dembele weren't the biggest losses. They were big, but Wanyama and Dier were bigger. No one can see this because the work they did was covering as opposed to looking good creating. They are what let the others play in any formation up front and still score six and seven goals away from home.

#46 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 23 January 2020 - 19:38

View Post50 Cent, on 23 January 2020 - 19:06, said:

The point is that Eriksen and Dembele weren't the biggest losses. They were big, but Wanyama and Dier were bigger. No one can see this because the work they did was covering as opposed to looking good creating. They are what let the others play in any formation up front and still score six and seven goals away from home.

I agree with Yido we have not really looked the same team since the wanyama and Dembele partnership, it was the season when we was unbeaten at home. We have not had a player since then that can really boss the midfield with power and skill, home and away. Your underestimating how good Dembele was off the ball.

#47 User is offline   Really!!! 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2020 - 21:36

View PostSpurs scout, on 23 January 2020 - 19:38, said:

I agree with Yido we have not really looked the same team since the wanyama and Dembele partnership, it was the season when we was unbeaten at home. We have not had a player since then that can really boss the midfield with power and skill, home and away. Your underestimating how good Dembele was off the ball.

Dier and wanyama when fit where great, but that was when playing with Dembele, now he was poetry in motion. Elegant, strong athletic, skillfull, beautiful touch... What a fn player!!! Fck he makes everyone he plays with better. He takes a ball in any position, holds and gives it. What is our record in league games since the day he left...... Best all round midfielder Ive ever seen, the only thing he missed was goals, he just made them for others. The man bossed everything! The hope was ndombele would become him, you never know, hopefully, but his fragility appears an issue.

#48 User is offline   Really!!! 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2020 - 21:49

Forgot to add the man seldom went to ground in a challenge he didn't have to, he just robbed the ball. Maybe that's what's up with Ndombele, maybe he has seen what people want and he feels overwhelmed by expectation.

#49 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 24 January 2020 - 00:38

All you need know is that Chelsae always targeted him. Since he was at Fulham.

#50 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:22

He's the biggest loss this team and squad has had. If he had stayed till the summer we might have won the CL final

#51 User is offline   Lonspurs 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:07

View Postaramak, on 24 January 2020 - 04:22, said:

He's the biggest loss this team and squad has had. If he had stayed till the summer we might have won the CL final

I always wondered that about the CL final. Dembele oozed confidence. Rarely have I seen a more confident player on the ball and he was strong with it.

Can Ndombele find that sort of confidence and strength? I have to admit that although he's obviously skilful he might well be a bit fragile. Only time will tell.

#52 User is offline   Silver 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2020 - 18:02

View PostLonspurs, on 29 January 2020 - 10:07, said:

I always wondered that about the CL final. Dembele oozed confidence. Rarely have I seen a more confident player on the ball and he was strong with it.

Can Ndombele find that sort of confidence and strength? I have to admit that although he's obviously skilful he might well be a bit fragile. Only time will tell.

To be fair Dembele was fragile as well, I think every season he was missing some part of it because of injuries. Also, when joined from Fulham his performances were extremely shaky for first 2-3 seasons before he grew massively as a player. He was frequently being dispossed and was very inconsistent. When he was having a bad day he was having a REALLY bad day. It's just that he developed a lot.

From as little as I've seen of Ndombele, I would say he's definitely not worse (likely much better) player than Dembele was at his age, so there's every chance he could replace Moussa long term if he keeps improving. Staying healthy would be the first step in the right direction so fingers crossed he's not crocked again in few weeks time.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users