• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eriksen

#1 User is offline   SteveB 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:57

I am sure Daniel Levy is a far more astute businessman than I am, but I cannot understand why he is digging his heels in over Eriksen.

If, and its a big IF, the papers are to be believed, Inter have offered 10M for him but Levy wont sell for less tan 20M. In six months Eriksen walks away for nothing - so do the deal now. Get Eriksen and his cr@p form out of the club now and pocket 10M

Makes no business sense to me any other way

#2 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2020 - 13:02

View PostSteveB, on 16 January 2020 - 06:57, said:

I am sure Daniel Levy is a far more astute businessman than I am, but I cannot understand why he is digging his heels in over Eriksen.

If, and its a big IF, the papers are to be believed, Inter have offered 10M for him but Levy wont sell for less tan 20M. In six months Eriksen walks away for nothing - so do the deal now. Get Eriksen and his cr@p form out of the club now and pocket 10M

Makes no business sense to me any other way

Hes made his name being a tough negotiator. This is the man that got 18m for bloody Kevin Wimmer. If he wants 17m as quoted in the press then he will wait till 31st Jan if he has to.

#3 User is offline   Hurrikane 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2020 - 13:42

Plus no one can knock his business sense, we are now the richest club in London and only growing!

#4 User is offline   SteveB 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2020 - 13:50

View PostChrisPienaar, on 16 January 2020 - 13:02, said:

Hes made his name being a tough negotiator. This is the man that got 18m for bloody Kevin Wimmer. If he wants 17m as quoted in the press then he will wait till 31st Jan if he has to.

Or Inter can just sit and wait for 5 months and get him for nothing

#5 User is offline   hotsauce 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 16 January 2020 - 14:30

View PostSteveB, on 16 January 2020 - 13:50, said:

Or Inter can just sit and wait for 5 months and get him for nothing

Inter wont get him in 5 mouths,,perm teams would blow them away

#6 User is offline   dieselspurs 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2020 - 15:23

View Posthotsauce, on 16 January 2020 - 14:30, said:

Inter wont get him in 5 mouths,,perm teams would blow them away

Totally agree, we will only get offers from teams that can't compete in Summer.

#7 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 16 January 2020 - 21:51

Saying Vecino has agreed to join us as part of a swap deal with Eriksen

#8 User is offline   hotsauce 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 24 January 2020 - 18:26

This deal done to inter,,,pity he sh1t on himself in the last year,,going backbone his word that if real Madrid or Barcelona didnt come in he would sign new deal,,,good luck 23

#9 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 24 January 2020 - 18:47

Just pay the money .time and again this is proved wrong when we actually buy someone. N'Dombele the latest proof why Levy is right to haggle a price. Sess also.

It isn't without risk, but many teams refuse to take our opening offers, so why on earth should he.

#10 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2020 - 22:05

I hate the rhetoric that no one can knock his business sense. If he had any real business sense he would not have signed Poch and a load of players to long contracts and then had to sack them and get rid of them when they digged their heals in.

The time to let Eriksen go was when he was worth £90m. The time to let Poch go was when he was worth £40m. Once again people will call me out for hindsight bias on things I said at the actual time.

He pays over the odds for a lot of second class players, and lets a lot go for a small amount of money without replacing them properly or using the money to strengthen other priority areas with 1st class signings. It damages the squad and the coach in preseason.

At what point was leaving our own football matters in a mess before preseason ever good business. Apart from VdV it has never worked well. Bale, Berbatov, Modric, all went for good money but it was all too late, left a bad taste, and a massive rebuild that didn't work.

#11 User is offline   A Bay Spur 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:26

View Post50 Cent, on 24 January 2020 - 22:05, said:

I hate the rhetoric that no one can knock his business sense. If he had any real business sense he would not have signed Poch and a load of players to long contracts and then had to sack them and get rid of them when they digged their heals in.

The time to let Eriksen go was when he was worth 90m. The time to let Poch go was when he was worth 40m. Once again people will call me out for hindsight bias on things I said at the actual time.

He pays over the odds for a lot of second class players, and lets a lot go for a small amount of money without replacing them properly or using the money to strengthen other priority areas with 1st class signings. It damages the squad and the coach in preseason.

At what point was leaving our own football matters in a mess before preseason ever good business. Apart from VdV it has never worked well. Bale, Berbatov, Modric, all went for good money but it was all too late, left a bad taste, and a massive rebuild that didn't work.

Then we should sell Kane and Son now.

#12 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:50

View PostA Bay Spur, on 25 January 2020 - 05:26, said:

Then we should sell Kane and Son now.

Makes logical sense based on the previous comment

#13 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 25 January 2020 - 13:17

View Postaramak, on 25 January 2020 - 11:50, said:

It makes sense to a degree, and I do usually endorse sell to buy. However, when we do sell, it is always used as a reason why there is a dip in form. We were forced into the sales of Bale and Walker and still everyone hammers Levy over it. In the case of Walker, it did make perfect sense, we had Trippier on top form with a younger player in KWP coming through. Now, with the benefit of hindsight we can all recognise the slowing down of our defence, and the natural assumption is to state Walker (and his pace) as the reason it's got slower. But the truth of the matter is that we didn't bring our younger players on towards the end with Poch. He abandoned what we were doing that elevated us into a genuine top 4 squad.

The plan of sustainable progress rellies heavily on a natural progression within the squad, where the understudy is promoted as the senior player is ideally sold or, less desired, he losses his mojo.

Trying to buy a replacement for what would have been a key player is both expensive and a bit of a lottery. The ideal scenario is that the replacement is already at the club and chomping at the bit to step up into the key role.

Very difficult to achieve, but it is the ideal way to compete with clubs who can smash the transfer market to bits when needing a ready made world class act.

We remain the poorer relation until we can match wages, already set at 350k/500k a week for top quality, even if the desire is to go near such idiotic boardroom decisions.

Now, getting onto the Kane for sale debate. If, and I say IF, Kane wants to leave in the pursuit of honours/trophies, and we were going to get big money for him. Would anyone come out and say it might benefit the squad ? We have a starlet in the making in Parrott coming through, but probably 2 years off at present, by which time Kane will be 28 pushing 29 and his value will drop.

Or, will they do what they've always done and shout we must not sell our best players, then cry when they run down a contract or lose their mojo.

Brave new world ?

#14 User is offline   Really!!! 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2020 - 14:37

View PostYidio Yidio, on 25 January 2020 - 13:17, said:

It makes sense to a degree, and I do usually endorse sell to buy. However, when we do sell, it is always used as a reason why there is a dip in form. We were forced into the sales of Bale and Walker and still everyone hammers Levy over it. In the case of Walker, it did make perfect sense, we had Trippier on top form with a younger player in KWP coming through. Now, with the benefit of hindsight we can all recognise the slowing down of our defence, and the natural assumption is to state Walker (and his pace) as the reason it's got slower. But the truth of the matter is that we didn't bring our younger players on towards the end with Poch. He abandoned what we were doing that elevated us into a genuine top 4 squad.

The plan of sustainable progress rellies heavily on a natural progression within the squad, where the understudy is promoted as the senior player is ideally sold or, less desired, he losses his mojo.

Trying to buy a replacement for what would have been a key player is both expensive and a bit of a lottery. The ideal scenario is that the replacement is already at the club and chomping at the bit to step up into the key role.

Very difficult to achieve, but it is the ideal way to compete with clubs who can smash the transfer market to bits when needing a ready made world class act.

We remain the poorer relation until we can match wages, already set at 350k/500k a week for top quality, even if the desire is to go near such idiotic boardroom decisions.

Now, getting onto the Kane for sale debate. If, and I say IF, Kane wants to leave in the pursuit of honours/trophies, and we were going to get big money for him. Would anyone come out and say it might benefit the squad ? We have a starlet in the making in Parrott coming through, but probably 2 years off at present, by which time Kane will be 28 pushing 29 and his value will drop.

Or, will they do what they've always done and shout we must not sell our best players, then cry when they run down a contract or lose their mojo.

Brave new world ?

Can't argue in terms of the appraisal of the current situation, the model and the supporters caught in between two different worlds (sell/no sell)

I think we need to bin the idea of Moura kane son and Ali starting leaving us only two functional midfielders when not on the ball and to stretched moving forward.

Today we have Winks Gedson Lo ceslo and Ali. Moura I think can play deeper and put in a shift provided he is controlled and looks for the pass, Son just needs to sit upfront, he always looks like he can play off the shoulder and back to goal so why ask him to track back. I'd prefer to see Ndombele in the mix as well, probally in for Moura so we can compete in Midfield for a change. But hey ho, a other day another attempt to get something functioning in MF again.

#15 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 25 January 2020 - 16:20

View PostYidio Yidio, on 25 January 2020 - 13:17, said:

Brave new world ?

Brave Old world.

I agree with your comments but I was being sarcastic. You don't sell your best players when they're content to stay as coach it should be about knowing players that can developed further or have reached their limitations and knowing whether what's behind them has the potential to be better and when to move players on to improve your squad.

Levy's method isn't flawed. It just takes too long to reach fruition and it's highly dependent on a coach keeping the team competitive long enough for the revenue stream of the new infrastructure to be fully established before expanding wages to be competitive with big payers while not affecting annual income.

It was always going to be hard for any coach to stay true to that model even if they knew it made perfect sense while their ego was being dented by continuous questions of not being good enough to win trophies despite what was considered "the best 11 in the premiership" about 2 years ago.

Poch cracked because we wasted six transfer windows either not buying or getting the recruitment wrong as well as the non development of players to come through or improve as a team. Now, it's easy to blame Levy for not spending but we are still showing a spend of over 300 million over five years so that's not spending but bad recruitment because 8 of the best starting 11 were at the club 4 years ago.

Now, the buck should stop with the coach or manager because you should say no to a player you don't want rather than caving and moaning about it later. Which was a problem I had with Poch and Jose at United. Don't b!tch later about it when you had the final okay because they all do. They get told "We can't get you who you want but we can get him, is that okay?? And they go, yes".

Now, once Poch was going to pushed then Levy had two choices go for an up and coming progressive coach but that would mean starting a rebuild all over again which would affect the revenues and a setback as the likes of Kane would be asking to leave because they can't wait for the rebuild or get an established, respected manager to basically come and do the same thing but investors are happy, the big stars are happy and fans get excited that it will turn around quickly.

Not going to happen but Levy thinks he's bought time. We won't challenge for the title again till 2021/22 season at the earliest but if Jose can keep us competitive by then we should be able to compete wages wise.

The question is whether Levy, Jose can get the recruitment side right and why we might need the right Director of football to come in. Everyone rate Jose's mate at Lille. If that side of the club was correct we wouldn't be in this current mess and more than likely Poch would still be in the job.

#16 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 25 January 2020 - 16:40

View Postaramak, on 25 January 2020 - 16:20, said:

Brave Old world.

I agree with your comments but I was being sarcastic. You don't sell your best players when they're content to stay as coach it should be about knowing players that can developed further or have reached their limitations and knowing whether what's behind them has the potential to be better and when to move players on to improve your squad.

Levy's method isn't flawed. It just takes too long to reach fruition and it's highly dependent on a coach keeping the team competitive long enough for the revenue stream of the new infrastructure to be fully established before expanding wages to be competitive with big payers while not affecting annual income.

It was always going to be hard for any coach to stay true to that model even if they knew it made perfect sense while their ego was being dented by continuous questions of not being good enough to win trophies despite what was considered "the best 11 in the premiership" about 2 years ago.

Poch cracked because we wasted six transfer windows either not buying or getting the recruitment wrong as well as the non development of players to come through or improve as a team. Now, it's easy to blame Levy for not spending but we are still showing a spend of over 300 million over five years so that's not spending but bad recruitment because 8 of the best starting 11 were at the club 4 years ago.

Now, the buck should stop with the coach or manager because you should say no to a player you don't want rather than caving and moaning about it later. Which was a problem I had with Poch and Jose at United. Don't b!tch later about it when you had the final okay because they all do. They get told "We can't get you who you want but we can get him, is that okay?? And they go, yes".

Now, once Poch was going to pushed then Levy had two choices go for an up and coming progressive coach but that would mean starting a rebuild all over again which would affect the revenues and a setback as the likes of Kane would be asking to leave because they can't wait for the rebuild or get an established, respected manager to basically come and do the same thing but investors are happy, the big stars are happy and fans get excited that it will turn around quickly.

Not going to happen but Levy thinks he's bought time. We won't challenge for the title again till 2021/22 season at the earliest but if Jose can keep us competitive by then we should be able to compete wages wise.

The question is whether Levy, Jose can get the recruitment side right and why we might need the right Director of football to come in. Everyone rate Jose's mate at Lille. If that side of the club was correct we wouldn't be in this current mess and more than likely Poch would still be in the job.

The problem I have with both managers is that they don't seem to trust youth or inexperience. Poch did then stopped, Maureen isn't known for it , but seems to know that he needs to. Tanganga had a good pre season, yet he only gets used after Christmas while we seem to have been held to ransom slightly over Alderwieralds contract, and surely that's a poor decision even if on paper it buys a little time, only the outcome of this season will answer that.

I think the conundrum of our squad isn't solved by keep adding players, it's proved that patience is the valuable asset more often than not. A la Lo Celso.

#17 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2020 - 17:50

View Postaramak, on 25 January 2020 - 11:50, said:

Are we not intelligent enough to see that we need to keep some star players but not all.

But I actually do agree all of our star players have passed their peak and weren't handled correctly.

Madrid would have been in for Kane last season but not now.

Timing is everything, so is getting the balance right between youth and legends.

We were way too far a selling club, and then we were way too far a keeping club.

The point remains that the logical conclusion is we could do recruitment business and sporting direction a lot better than Levy does with the budget he has.

#18 User is offline   Parklaner 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 25 January 2020 - 18:53

When dust settles we can look back at CE23 with fond memories but right now I cant wait for this finalised

#19 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 25 January 2020 - 23:31

A rumours of Werner and. BAle again tonight.
We need a striker as a must. Play Lo Celso in the centre of the attacking three flanked by any two of Dele,Son and Moura. Get a damn good defensive midfielder to play alongside Ndombele.
That just leaves us two full backs, a left centreback and eventually a keeper.Roll on 2025.

#20 User is offline   Really!!! 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2020 - 23:45

View Postgriff, on 25 January 2020 - 23:31, said:

A rumours of Werner and. BAle again tonight.
We need a striker as a must. Play Lo Celso in the centre of the attacking three flanked by any two of Dele,Son and Moura. Get a damn good defensive midfielder to play alongside Ndombele.
That just leaves us two full backs, a left centreback and eventually a keeper.Roll on 2025.

I don't think individually our squad is so weak, but as a team we are awful. I think a lot of issues can be sorted on the training ground, but I just fail to see it happening. We must have enough players to start keeping it in midfield... , but maybe the lack of a striker/anyone to take a long ball really places us under pressure. It's possibly too easy for teams to place us under pressure just now.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users