• You cannot reply to this topic

Corona virus

#81 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 15 March 2020 - 01:42

It's a mess. It really is.

Say a club gambled on going up from championship and spent beyond their means anticipating recouping by getting promoted to the PL. Then they stay where they are because season is cancelled and they'd need to sell players to survive and lower wages, only to then need to try and go up again with a weaker team!

I've seen calls for no relegation and 3 teams to come up so we'd have a 23 team league with more relegation places next season.

Sort of makes sense. There isn't an ideal solution, much like there isn't for the virus. Every decision has negative impacts for someone.

#82 User is offline   old spur 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:37

View Posttomtom, on 15 March 2020 - 01:42, said:

It's a mess. It really is.

Say a club gambled on going up from championship and spent beyond their means anticipating recouping by getting promoted to the PL. Then they stay where they are because season is cancelled and they'd need to sell players to survive and lower wages, only to then need to try and go up again with a weaker team!

I've seen calls for no relegation and 3 teams to come up so we'd have a 23 team league with more relegation places next season.

Sort of makes sense. There isn't an ideal solution, much like there isn't for the virus. Every decision has negative impacts for someone.

That would mean each team plays 44 games instead of 38, and they struggle to get those in, forget it.

#83 User is offline   Easy Going Spurs Fan 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:49

View Postold spur, on 15 March 2020 - 10:37, said:

That would mean each team plays 44 games instead of 38, and they struggle to get those in, forget it.

I think T.Ts idea is ok but you would have to cancel one of the domestic cups or even both.

It is workable.

#84 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:54

View Postaramak, on 14 March 2020 - 11:49, said:

UEFA have a meeting early next week and they're all leagues and cups will abandoned and a new season starting end of August or early September. The CL starts again with the original teams from this season and those in CL places currently that were not part of last year in qualifying rounds.

The big issue is financial compensation for possible promotion clubs across all leagues and divisions. In the PL saying it would be made up of a 22 club league but 5 clubs relegated but even that is controversial as top 6 sides could argue mathematically they could still get promotion and the league cup abandoned for a season to make way for the extra dates.

#85 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 15 March 2020 - 11:23

View PostEasy Going Spurs Fan, on 15 March 2020 - 10:49, said:

I think T.Ts idea is ok but you would have to cancel one of the domestic cups or even both.

It is workable.

Yeah that was also suggested.

#86 User is offline   Easy Going Spurs Fan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 15 March 2020 - 12:58

To be honest the season is over for us anyway whatever happens but if they cancel the whole season and we retain our cl place for next term what a result for us that would be = if a bit unfair on others in the cl chase.

Its still debatable whether or not levy will buy in another striker with parrot waiting in the wings and a few months on him being nearer 19 than 18.

DMs need sorting desperately as well .

#87 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 15 March 2020 - 13:24

View PostEasy Going Spurs Fan, on 15 March 2020 - 12:58, said:

To be honest the season is over for us anyway whatever happens but if they cancel the whole season and we retain our cl place for next term what a result for us that would be = if a bit unfair on others in the cl chase.

Its still debatable whether or not levy will buy in another striker with parrot waiting in the wings and a few months on him being nearer 19 than 18.

DMs need sorting desperately as well .

Just a defensive midfielder ? ...... we need a new keeper , Right back , centre back, and left back.

#88 User is offline   Easy Going Spurs Fan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 15 March 2020 - 13:54

View Poststokesie, on 15 March 2020 - 13:24, said:

Just a defensive midfielder ? ...... we need a new keeper , Right back , centre back, and left back.

Awful isnt it how these positions have been neglected.

Looking at results over the pochettino years i saw the combination of dembele and wanyama as probably the best we have ever had in those positions for a long time.

Of course wanyama's knee injury was so serious he wasnt the same player afterwards & dembele was riding injuries most games.

I really think we need look at those 2 positions in the summer.

#89 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 15 March 2020 - 14:29

I think between Sissoko, Ndombele, Winks and Lo Celso we're covered for the deep lying non CM and have decent variety between passing range, tenacity, pace and dribbling. But we absolutely must get a Wanyama replacement - ideally two, who are physical destroyers and defensively intelligent.

#90 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 15 March 2020 - 15:28

View Posttomtom, on 15 March 2020 - 14:29, said:

I think between Sissoko, Ndombele, Winks and Lo Celso we're covered for the deep lying non CM and have decent variety between passing range, tenacity, pace and dribbling. But we absolutely must get a Wanyama replacement - ideally two, who are physical destroyers and defensively intelligent.

Agree entirely. Get in an experienced and proven destroyer like Kondogbia, and then use the money from the sale of a Dier to get in someone like Kalvin Philips or Wilmar Barios.

#91 User is offline   Really!!! 

• First Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2020 - 16:21

We need a proper DM! Dier aint gonna fill that gap but probably will turn into the Class CB of the kind people thought he may turn into years ago.

Sissoko is the only DM we have and he cant play with the ball, he cant find a pass, control or beat a man with skill, only pace. When we have the ball he is as good as a man down.

Winks can harass but cant tackle but really looks like an iniesta type player, the boy has to step up, but wont do that playing beside dier or sissoko.

Ndombele is literally the opposite of Sissoko, all the ability but zero passion or desire - he looks depressed on the pitch and makes me depressed watching him. lo ceslo has turned the corner under Jose, but was his instruction to complicated under Poch as he looks tremendous now?

Fernandez looks an old box to box MF, he will get better and has all the bits and pieces needed to be a good player.

There is skip who could be that DM, but only in time(could do with playing with a top class DM in training) then we have Lamella who has shown a real edge to his game this season, more proper form than empty promise.

Lets be honest we have got everything but a proper DM with ability like Essien Makalele Kante Matic cambiasso.... All who have played under Jose.

We also have a plethora of attacking ability in Kane Son Moura Ali Bergwijn but if playing properly with 1 up front (kane) we have to be realistic and think what is our formation going to be? 5 in MF, actual MF? If so can we afford Ali and two wingers pushing on leaving us only two actual MFs? Seriously? school football?

We get shown up every week by teams who press high knowing we cant connect the defense and two deep MFs with the 4 we have higher up the pitch. We cant play out of the high press with Dier or Sissoko playing DM, Diers not quick enough and sissoko is sht on the ball. Ndombele shows no conviction making himself open, and while Moura Ali and son can all venture back - they just dont want to. Our issue is we are exposed in transition, really badly exposed. The pressure that puts on our defence is fn insane.

I think 90% of all our issues disappear with a good tech DM and playing 1 fewer attackers higher up the park. Our MF lacks control conviction personalty and desire, it doesnt lack ability skill or ingenuity just the ability to let them show.

For all I think our issues are sortable and even imagine Jose is the perfect coach to find that illusive DM, I dont believe has shown he knows what to do with the rest. I dont think he wants to make the tough decision and tell ali to play fn deeper when we dont have the ball. Will he be man enough and say lets play only one actual winger in Bergwijn Moura or Son at a time and use the extra MF in fn MF? He has failed miserably to start any game that way, but has finished plenty with it..

Each week I seek just a little improvement but instead I see a regression backwards and now a man publicly calling out players - sorry Jose but I dont believe Ndombele will ever react well to a slating in that manner. In fact ive began to wonder if Jose is a secret chelsea or man utd agent sent in to finish us off?

#92 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 16 March 2020 - 22:33

Iíll actually be annoyed if they just give the title to Liverpool....season really should be null and void if they canít finish it

#93 User is offline   Easy Going Spurs Fan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:06

Cant see the season being restarted because = 1) mass gatherings = 2) player to player infection if played behind closed doors.

How this will pan out is anyone's guess = its just a case of those people who are in charge coming to some conclusion that everyone is happy with.

#94 User is offline   Easy Going Spurs Fan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:11

View PostSpursDan, on 16 March 2020 - 22:33, said:

I’ll actually be annoyed if they just give the title to Liverpool....season really should be null and void if they can’t finish it

They were certainly in the middle of a glitch when the season was halted but 25 points ahead of man city at the time on 82 points.....man city 57.

In the doubtful event that man city got max points total from their last 10 games to finish on 87 then all liverpool would need from their last 9 games were 6 points.

They have been the best prem side 2019-2020 and been consistent throughout.

Not one of my favourite clubs but a bit hard on them if the season is null and void.

#95 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:52

To be honest, I don't really care that much any more. I wish everybody very good health and well-being.

#96 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 17 March 2020 - 15:16

Self isolation from today, 😷

#97 User is offline   Lonspurs 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 17 March 2020 - 16:57

View PostEasy Going Spurs Fan, on 17 March 2020 - 03:06, said:

Cant see the season being restarted because = 1) mass gatherings = 2) player to player infection if played behind closed doors.

How this will pan out is anyone's guess = its just a case of those people who are in charge coming to some conclusion that everyone is happy with.

Players are very fit so I reckon we are going to see a lot of games behind closed doors. As I write, 56 deaths in the U.K. but all of them seem to be above a certain age and/or health problems. Even the poor guy who died at 59 had suffered a heart attack.

If your immune system is low you are obviously going to be vulnerable. On average about 600 people die each year from the flu (or flu-associated ailments) in the U.K. but there have been some years where there have literally been quite a few thousands.

Obviously, I hope everything is back to normal as soon as possible but it is worth remembering the amount of people who have contracted Corona but have got through it intact. If you're young and reasonably fit I think you can cope.

#98 User is offline   Lonspurs 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 17 March 2020 - 16:58

View Post50 Cent, on 17 March 2020 - 11:52, said:

To be honest, I don't really care that much any more. I wish everybody very good health and well-being.

ECHO THAT.

#99 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 18 March 2020 - 15:28

View PostRoger Redknapp, on 14 March 2020 - 04:26, said:

No international rubbish to knacker spurs players this summer

Posted Image

A once in a lifetime chance for spurs to escape this season like a bad dream

Posted Image

A 75% chance Liverpool don’t cleanly win a premier league title despite being 25 points clear.

Posted Image

This still stands.

Hope Liverpool get absolutely nothing.

Hope spurs recoup absolutely everything as of the day after the champions league final. + Stevie Burgers Lo Celso and sicknote minus eriksen
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#100 User is offline   old spur 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:56

Just a thought. Presuming the league re-starts in June, if we sign any new players by then, will they be able to play ?

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users