• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Van De Beek - Eriksen replacement?

#1 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 09 May 2020 - 18:22

Van De Beek will almost certainly be leaving Ajax this summer...would he be an idea Eriksen replacement?

Depending on the price and whether we will even have enough funds after covid19, Id say he has to be on our list of possibilities?

#2 User is offline   Hurrikane 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2020 - 22:12

Hes more of a number 8 Id say where as Eriksen was a 10 or could play wide. But I really like the guy I think he would be a good signing but we just seem stacked in that area.

#3 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:49

with our current set up of 4231 where would he fit if you the middle 2 is taken up by Lo Celso and Tanguy/Sissoko/ Winks? Kane and Sonny sure to start, Dele or Moura I pressume unless you shift Lo cElso up

#4 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:17

View Postfentonroad, on 10 May 2020 - 08:49, said:

with our current set up of 4231 where would he fit if you the middle 2 is taken up by Lo Celso and Tanguy/Sissoko/ Winks? Kane and Sonny sure to start, Dele or Moura I pressume unless you shift Lo cElso up

Cant see Lo Celso and Ndombele playing in a two,as neither are out and out defensive midfielders.In a three yes.Thats why,Id love us to play 4-3-3

#5 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 10 May 2020 - 12:13

Winks would flourish in a three also but that means Dele being dropped as it require us to end up similar to a Drogba Duff Robben front three of Kane Son and Bergwin/ Moura. Maybe Dele can drop back into the three. Either way the likes of Bergwijn, Lo Celso and Tanguy will only get better for us. If Kane, Son and Dele are there or thereabouts going forward we should be fine with support of Lamela and Moura.

Saying that Ajax played the season playing 4231 with Van de Beek in the two and Ziyech playing in front of them. Even with a fully fit existing squad what is the best 6 in front of a backline of four?

It's the back line that is a worry, Tanganga (if he plays on the right) and Sessegnon will only get better but will Dier, Sanchez improve much if they're centre back? Toby and Jan (if he stays) are on the downward spiral. If we get Meunier on a free he can go right back and we can gradually evolve our centre back pairing from Jan and Toby to two of Dier/ Tanganga/ Sanchez? Either way Aurier makes mistakes physically and mentally to often to be first choice.

#6 User is offline   bohsmart79 

• Youth Squad
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 May 2020 - 15:34

ship out lamela and get this guy in hes quality .id even have him in ahead of moura.i rate him highly.

#7 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 10 May 2020 - 17:32

At the time when we bought Lo Celso (god bless him) I said he wasn't what we need to replace Eriksen, he is a goal scoring midfielder. We needed Fernandes or Van de Beek who were the obvious replacements for Eriksen. The burden of creating fell on Christian as apart from him the majority of our midfielders are finishers, Son, Moura and Dele. After all that Bergwijn and Tanguy stat wise are our best bets to create more than anyone else

#8 User is online   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 May 2020 - 20:21

View Postfentonroad, on 10 May 2020 - 17:32, said:

At the time when we bought Lo Celso (god bless him) I said he wasn't what we need to replace Eriksen, he is a goal scoring midfielder. We needed Fernandes or Van de Beek who were the obvious replacements for Eriksen. The burden of creating fell on Christian as apart from him the majority of our midfielders are finishers, Son, Moura and Dele. After all that Bergwijn and Tanguy stat wise are our best bets to create more than anyone else

Your wrong about Lo Celso, his goalscoring stats were high because he had filled in in a false 9 but he is a creative midfielder, his key passes which lead to goal for his team mates is very high when he was at Betis My link

#9 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 10 May 2020 - 22:59

I have to disagree, although I do love the tenacity and everything Lo Celso has brought to the team this season, he is one of the few positives.

At Betis in 46 games he scored 16 and assisted 6 in 18/19 season playing predominantly as a centre midfielder and not as a false 9/ in the hole. At PSG the year before he played a similar position and his return in 48 games for the French side was 6 goals and 7 assists, so prior to joining us he set up 13 goals in two seasons.

In the same period Fernandes set up 38, van de Beek 19 and Tanguy 16. It has to be noted that van de Beek and Ndombele are a year younger, Fernandes a year older but all three played in easier leagues for part or all of the same period and in a continent that they're from.

I do like Lo Celso, but we missed out on the ideal replacement for Eriksen to Man United in Fernandes. Even the constantly mentioned/ linked Maddison has only set up 10 goals in his 64 prem league appearances.

Eriksen was a legend prior to this season and impossible to replace with just one player. Maybe the creativity responsibility needs to be shared about the midfielders but it clearly isn't Lo Celso's biggest strength.

#10 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 06 January 2021 - 21:28

What is quite sad is not only is he being given little playing time for United (just come on with three minutes to go), but he would have been ideal to be in the midfield three with Tanguy and Pierre as he has the passing game.

#11 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 January 2021 - 21:30

View Postfentonroad, on 06 January 2021 - 21:28, said:

What is quite sad is not only is he being given little playing time for United (just come on with three minutes to go), but he would have been ideal to be in the midfield three with Tanguy and Pierre as he has the passing game.

What a waste, dont know why they bought him we could really use him

#12 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 06 January 2021 - 21:34

They need defenders, maybe a Sanchez swap? We could toss in Rose, Foyth and Gazzaniga . :lmao:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users