Planet Spurs Forums: Could we learn from Leicester? - Planet Spurs Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Could we learn from Leicester? Player sales.

#1 User is offline   Easy Going Spurs Fan 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:58

Watching Eriksen and Rose lose their sell on value over the past few years has been frustrating to say the least.

I know we had offers for both players when at their peak playing for us but we decided to hang onto them to the bitter end.

Be interesting to know what you guys think ? but also could we learn from leicester the way they buy cheap and sell big especially before their highly rated players go beyond their best sell by date.

Heres a list of leicester transfer dealings over the years.

1) Chilwell sold £50m = replacement Castagne = £18m

2) N,Golo Kante sold £32m = replacement Wilf N,didi = £17m.

3) Drinkwater sold £35m = Replacement Adrien Silva = £22m.

4) Mahrez sold £60m = Replacement James Morrison = £20m

5) Maguire sold £80m = Replacement Soyuncu = £13m.

As much as we respect daniel levy at being financially astute he doesnt look like he is in the same league as his leicester equivalent .

We sold walker but missed the boat with rose when man utd came calling years ago and eriksen was never consistent enough in my view.

Of course its in hindsight but i was never truly convinced by rose or eriksen ! any over the top offer for either player should have been snapped up.

Maybe valuations of rose and eriksen at their peak would be something like £35-£40 m = Rose & £75-£85m = Eriksen.

I am sure there,s a few more players we didnt cash in on when we should have done.

#2 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Gyms out for a while, retired from port chaplaincy, now a person of leisure. for cardio have gone back to running. still love my digi photography.

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:02

you could well be right with what you say and have given fines examples that no one can refute, sold big/bigish, and replacemant cost lot less, so money in the bank, and the replacements they bought were not because of their cheap price, but their potential as well, and they also will no doubt be sold for a bigish figure if the right offer comes in.
I think our Mr L has changed since the arrival of Jose, but look at some of the players bought by some clubs that are proving to be excellent buys for little money, IE as you have so well listed Leicester are a fine example of this, so my question is "Are we missing out somewhere in spotting these young potentials"? IE iour scouting, or say as in the case of Rondon these clubs think Ah right Spurs big club ask mega bucks, is as some think on here this particular player is not worth the money being asked, so then say hyperthetically we didnt buy someone else did and he turned out to be a "Superstar"!! so are we missing out on scouting.
Liked your post fine examples of dealings/profit.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#3 User is offline   Easy Going Spurs Fan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:01

View Postjourneyman, on 16 October 2020 - 09:02, said:

you could well be right with what you say and have given fines examples that no one can refute, sold big/bigish, and replacemant cost lot less, so money in the bank, and the replacements they bought were not because of their cheap price, but their potential as well, and they also will no doubt be sold for a bigish figure if the right offer comes in.
I think our Mr L has changed since the arrival of Jose, but look at some of the players bought by some clubs that are proving to be excellent buys for little money, IE as you have so well listed Leicester are a fine example of this, so my question is "Are we missing out somewhere in spotting these young potentials"? IE iour scouting, or say as in the case of Rondon these clubs think Ah right Spurs big club ask mega bucks, is as some think on here this particular player is not worth the money being asked, so then say hyperthetically we didnt buy someone else did and he turned out to be a "Superstar"!! so are we missing out on scouting.
Liked your post fine examples of dealings/profit.

Thank you journey.
I think there is quite a lot of = its spurs so raise the asking price ! the same happens with all the top 6 clubs i would imagine.

I think all clubs (apart from maybe man city)have their selling price on players.

What i find frustrating is the absolute financial waste over players that we seem to endure season after season while teams like leicester thrive in player recruitment and bring in millions in profits from that side of the game of football.

Heres just some of our wastage.

Wanyama cost £12.96m = sold on = free.(could have gone to brugge for £12m but deal went tits up)

Llorente cost £12m = released = nil.

Vorm (part of the ben davies swansea deal ) released = nil.

Janssen cost £17m = sold £8m
(approximate sums)
N,Koudou cost £11m = sold £5m.

N,jie continues the story along with the summer of seven from the bale sale.

Have to say loans have offset some of the losses but what the fck are we doing ?

Saw the other day on transfermarkt that n,jie,s latest valuation is £1.8m.

2 prem teams we could learn from the way they operate is Leicester regarding buying and selling and Southampton scouting system ! they are always finding gems.

#4 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 18 October 2020 - 17:57

Since they sold Kant.e, they have not made top 4. We on the other hand have hit that target consistently.

Add the fans annoyance when we did sell our best players mostly because they forced a move, Bale, Barb.a , Modr.ic etc. Then no, Leicester is not thee way to go.

If we had sold Ericsson at the top of his game and missed top 4 like Leicester the fans would lay an egg.
Also, this suggests we should be selling or should have sold Kan.e

No, its not a good idea unless you are skint.

#5 User is offline   Easy Going Spurs Fan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:17

View PostYidio Yidio, on 18 October 2020 - 17:57, said:

Since they sold Kant.e, they have not made top 4. We on the other hand have hit that target consistently.

Add the fans annoyance when we did sell our best players mostly because they forced a move, Bale, Barb.a , Modr.ic etc. Then no, Leicester is not thee way to go.

If we had sold Ericsson at the top of his game and missed top 4 like Leicester the fans would lay an egg.
Also, this suggests we should be selling or should have sold Kan.e

No, its not a good idea unless you are skint.

I wasnt actually saying become a selling club although i do believe every player has his price.

If you look at those sums leicester received for those players its an amazing bit of business and well above their true market value.

We did it with walker and if trippier hadnt have gone into decline soon afterwards it would have been seen as an astute bit of business by daniel.

Know what you are saying though and its a tricky way to go with the fans .

#6 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Gyms out for a while, retired from port chaplaincy, now a person of leisure. for cardio have gone back to running. still love my digi photography.

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:07

There is though always two sides to a story, Leicester did ok bought cheap sold big= handsome profit, so to replace the players they sold, they buy again "Cheap" but the were lucky they did get a good crop of talented players, how often will thayt happen, so now I think obviously if we have these good players then keep them,stop buying selling for rofit.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#7 User is offline   Easy Going Spurs Fan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:20

A club like spurs would have to use discretion rather than just accept a player wants to move somewhere bigger and with better wages as leicester probably accept and then strive to get the best possible prioe from such a scenario.

I know its a controversial remark but apart from kane and son all the others have their price.

Some have potential to be great players but right now if an offer came in making the club a healthy profit you would have to consider selling apart from the 2 mentioned.

#8 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 19 October 2020 - 15:18

Apologies, I read the post as a comparison to Leicester selling their best players and bringing in promising talent for a lesser fee.

Our problem would be that players like Lo Celso, N'dombele, Sissoko and Lamela wouldn't command a fee higher than what we paid for them.

Our profit margin is greatly improved when we sell players from our academy, Caulker, Walker-Peters, Ryan Mason, Townsend etc.

The days of buying the likes of Lennon and Kyle Walker for relative peanuts seem over, as lower league talent now commands fees like that of Sessegnon and Clarke.

Buying from abroad is difficult as we know, and taking Son out of the equation seems to highlight the dilemma, if they are indeed any good, we don't want to sell them.

#9 User is offline   Easy Going Spurs Fan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 19 October 2020 - 15:34

View PostYidio Yidio, on 19 October 2020 - 15:18, said:

Apologies, I read the post as a comparison to Leicester selling their best players and bringing in promising talent for a lesser fee.

Our problem would be that players like Lo Celso, N'dombele, Sissoko and Lamela wouldn't command a fee higher than what we paid for them.

Our profit margin is greatly improved when we sell players from our academy, Caulker, Walker-Peters, Ryan Mason, Townsend etc.

The days of buying the likes of Lennon and Kyle Walker for relative peanuts seem over, as lower league talent now commands fees like that of Sessegnon and Clarke.

Buying from abroad is difficult as we know, and taking Son out of the equation seems to highlight the dilemma, if they are indeed any good, we don't want to sell them.

To be honest i think my original post is flawed because the value of leicester players went up due to the success they had winning the prem 2015/16.

I was,nt looking at it from that point of view.

Of course all the vultures moved in to pick the best out of a small club that came good.

We are paying top dollar for our players and thats why there is no room for manoeuvre when selling on.

I still think Llorente,Wanyama,Vorm scenarios should be avoided because thats £30m shelled out for zilch returns when the players left.

Must admit i thought our daniel was good at this side of running a football club ?

#10 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 19 October 2020 - 17:00

View PostEasy Going Spurs Fan, on 19 October 2020 - 15:34, said:

To be honest i think my original post is flawed because the value of leicester players went up due to the success they had winning the prem 2015/16.

I was,nt looking at it from that point of view.

Of course all the vultures moved in to pick the best out of a small club that came good.

We are paying top dollar for our players and thats why there is no room for manoeuvre when selling on.

I still think Llorente,Wanyama,Vorm scenarios should be avoided because thats 30m shelled out for zilch returns when the players left.

Must admit i thought our daniel was good at this side of running a football club ?

Tbh, Llorente paid off, his return in terms of contribution far out weighed his fee. Vorm was basically a free, but was thrown in as part of the Davies deal to avoid some sort of sell on fee, much in the way the Lo Celso deal was buried under a loan fee, hiding the full value and avoiding a sell on fee.

Wanyama was excellent for one season, but injury killed any chance of a financial return.

I'm more alarmed in paying a contract to someone like Toby, clearly in decline when his last deal was signed and we're saddled with him for a further 2 years after this season ends. I find it more concerning than the situation with Rose, who is clearly going to run down his contract, but that deal was arranged when he was at his peak.

I'm also not as excited as others are in Bale's return, not sure what we are laying out towards his wages, but, this seems to be a short term idea, although I applaud it in terms of someone on the board recognises the window of opportunity this crazy season has thrown open. It's an uncharacteristic risk, but one the fans have complained long and hard needed to be taken.

My concern over Bale is less about finances, more about him doing the business on the pitch, I think he's become lazy and a bit of a luxury type player these days. I'm obviously wide open to be proved wrong.

#11 User is offline   Easy Going Spurs Fan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 19 October 2020 - 18:30

View PostYidio Yidio, on 19 October 2020 - 17:00, said:

Tbh, Llorente paid off, his return in terms of contribution far out weighed his fee. Vorm was basically a free, but was thrown in as part of the Davies deal to avoid some sort of sell on fee, much in the way the Lo Celso deal was buried under a loan fee, hiding the full value and avoiding a sell on fee.

Wanyama was excellent for one season, but injury killed any chance of a financial return.

I'm more alarmed in paying a contract to someone like Toby, clearly in decline when his last deal was signed and we're saddled with him for a further 2 years after this season ends. I find it more concerning than the situation with Rose, who is clearly going to run down his contract, but that deal was arranged when he was at his peak.

I'm also not as excited as others are in Bale's return, not sure what we are laying out towards his wages, but, this seems to be a short term idea, although I applaud it in terms of someone on the board recognises the window of opportunity this crazy season has thrown open. It's an uncharacteristic risk, but one the fans have complained long and hard needed to be taken.

My concern over Bale is less about finances, more about him doing the business on the pitch, I think he's become lazy and a bit of a luxury type player these days. I'm obviously wide open to be proved wrong.

I forgot Llorente weighed in with some champions league goals most notably the man city 4-4 result.

We had actually agreed to sell wanyama to club brugge for 12m but the deal became complicated over money and terms of his contract.

Club brugge pulled the plug and he went on a free elsewhere.

I am also in 2 minds over bale because i didnt see the point of bringing him back ! plus he just gives me the impression that it wouldnt take much to take him out of a match with a couple of nasty tackles.

I loved what he did when harry was in charge but that seems an age ago now ! certainly wish him the best though.

#12 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 19 October 2020 - 19:03

View PostEasy Going Spurs Fan, on 19 October 2020 - 18:30, said:

I forgot Llorente weighed in with some champions league goals most notably the man city 4-4 result.

We had actually agreed to sell wanyama to club brugge for 12m but the deal became complicated over money and terms of his contract.

Club brugge pulled the plug and he went on a free elsewhere.

I am also in 2 minds over bale because i didnt see the point of bringing him back ! plus he just gives me the impression that it wouldnt take much to take him out of a match with a couple of nasty tackles.

I loved what he did when harry was in charge but that seems an age ago now ! certainly wish him the best though.

You also have to remember we finished 4th 1 pt ahead of Arse and I'm sure Llorente earned us more than a point or 2 over the season alongside his CL semi contribution.

Also, Levy was quoted 25M for Wanyama, so he waited and went back a year later to get him for 12M, could have been alot worse.

#13 User is offline   Easy Going Spurs Fan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:55

View PostYidio Yidio, on 19 October 2020 - 19:03, said:

Also, Levy was quoted 25M for Wanyama, so he waited and went back a year later to get him for 12M, could have been a lot worse.

OUCH ! 25 mill.

If it werent for that knee injury he would be a great partner for hojdjerg.

#14 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 21 October 2020 - 13:58

View PostEasy Going Spurs Fan, on 21 October 2020 - 12:55, said:

OUCH ! 25 mill.

If it werent for that knee injury he would be a great partner for hojdjerg.

I had him as player of the year the first season he was with us, he just made us click that year. Same sort of impact Scott Parker had when Harry got him from Spammers.

Hojbodge has his work cut out protecting our CB's though, he'd stand a better chance if we didn't sit deep.

#15 User is offline   Easy Going Spurs Fan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 22 October 2020 - 03:33

View PostYidio Yidio, on 21 October 2020 - 13:58, said:

I had him as player of the year the first season he was with us, he just made us click that year. Same sort of impact Scott Parker had when Harry got him from Spammers.

Hojbodge has his work cut out protecting our CB's though, he'd stand a better chance if we didn't sit deep.

Agree ! i remember his first season and couldnt believe it when he got that injury.

Just bad luck i suppose and he wasnt the same afterwards.

We had the same with rose ! great attacking wb and then crocked.

#16 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:17

View PostEasy Going Spurs Fan, on 22 October 2020 - 03:33, said:

Agree ! i remember his first season and couldnt believe it when he got that injury.

Just bad luck i suppose and he wasnt the same afterwards.

We had the same with rose ! great attacking wb and then crocked.

Toby also, considering how good he was. Never been as good since his long injury. But players tend to be good in patches, many have 2 or 3 seasons where they are excellent, but cannot maintain that level.

It's what separates the best from the good. It's why Kane is possibly the best Spurs player I've ever seen, he's adapting his game to his body.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users