Taking The Knee Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   old grey yid 

• spurs legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 17 February 2021 - 14:34

View Postelectricpace, on 17 February 2021 - 14:23, said:

Everyone knows Norman ffs lol

Course you do .youll know where im at at homes games..come say hello.

#22 User is offline   electricpace 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2021 - 16:59

View Postold grey yid, on 17 February 2021 - 14:34, said:

Course you do .youll know where im at at homes games..come say hello.

And I'll bring Morgan Freeman :lmao:

#23 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 17 February 2021 - 17:34

Have to say, it has lost some of its impact

#24 User is offline   electricpace 

• Club Captain

Posted 17 February 2021 - 17:38

View PostYidio Yidio, on 17 February 2021 - 17:34, said:

Have to say, it has lost some of its impact

yes it has.

I'm still waiting to know why it 'offends' though.

#25 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 17 February 2021 - 18:22

View Postelectricpace, on 17 February 2021 - 17:38, said:

yes it has.

I'm still waiting to know why it 'offends' though.

Not sure, but the longevity of it is what is in question. As an example, clapping for the NHS was short in comparison. Which was ended by the person who had pushed for it in the first place, stating it best to stop rather than see it dwindle.

The knee as a symbol has always seemed strange to me, mostly because of the incident that brought this to the fore. Maybe taking a knee has many meanings and offence is taken by the apparent ownership and prolonged use on this occasion.

Sadly, the more some call for it to end, the more the calls to keep it will resist, thus, it becomes a tool different to its original reason.

#26 User is offline   electricpace 

• Club Captain

Posted 17 February 2021 - 18:41

View PostYidio Yidio, on 17 February 2021 - 18:22, said:

Not sure, but the longevity of it is what is in question.

nah the original poster has clearly stated its offensive and racist and I'm waiting for it to be backed up. Nothing to do with how long the gesture is made.

Can imagine Levy's face reading his emails tonight.

#27 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Gyms out for a while, retired from port chaplaincy, now a person of leisure. for cardio have gone back to running. still love my digi photography.

Posted 17 February 2021 - 18:44

best to try and ignore the stupid thing, then when its not getting the attention it craves it might stop, pointless, proves nothing, and wasts time. If you want to take a knee as they say take for the Fallen that fought for the freedom you have today, not some black american criminal.thats why it annoys me. to me its like honouring a criminal but a slap in the face for those that fell for a cause.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#28 User is offline   ArmchairSpurs 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2021 - 18:50

View Postjourneyman, on 17 February 2021 - 18:44, said:

best to try and ignore the stupid thing, then when its not getting the attention it craves it might stop, pointless, proves nothing, and wasts time. If you want to take a knee as they say take for the Fallen that fought for the freedom you have today, not some black american criminal.thats why it annoys me. to me its like honouring a criminal but a slap in the face for those that fell for a cause.

Journo, an American footballer took to the knee in 2016 in protest against police brutality and racism. It was adopted by BLM at a later date, so isn’t honouring any one person but protesting about the behaviour of quite a few.

#29 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Gyms out for a while, retired from port chaplaincy, now a person of leisure. for cardio have gone back to running. still love my digi photography.

Posted 17 February 2021 - 19:13

yes agree but this black criminal brought it to the fore, BLM have some bad undertones I only know some stuff that I have read, they have an agenda. sorry but i dont condone that, will never believe its for the good of all humanity. Those are mine and mine alone beliefe,s no doubt in this politically correct society i will be run down, but i stand by my beliefs. I will not mention it no more on here. but no doubt i am certain to get a conflicting view from one of three posters or all three.Ive said my bit. :niceone: :cheers:
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#30 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 17 February 2021 - 19:13

View Postelectricpace, on 17 February 2021 - 18:41, said:

nah the original poster has clearly stated its offensive and racist and I'm waiting for it to be backed up. Nothing to do with how long the gesture is made.

Fair enough, can't say it offends me.

#31 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 17 February 2021 - 22:16

Some people think "black lives matter" the phrase is saying they matter "more" than other lives, which offends them, whereas the original intention was
"black lives should matter as much as other lives" as many black people feel their lives don't hold the same value. I've been in the US and a lot of police are racist as f*** so doesn't surprise me that many hold this view. I've also been with black mates in UK and police have treated them differently to me, though the extremes are far less than in the US IMO.

Then there's the actual organisation black lives matter, which is different from the phrase, which has political leanings that upset and offend a lot of people. There's the push to "defund the police" which is mostly misunderstood, even by some who call for it. The idea is that there are many situations where you'd be better off sending someone used to de-escalating and dealing with people with mental health issues than a poorly trained, usually fairly thick police officer with a gun, and that re-prioritising funding to prevention of crimes rather than policing after the fact would benefit society as a whole.

I'd suggest those of you who think US policing doesn't need major reform read this article. I found it to be harrowing reading:
https://www.bbc.com/...tories-45739335

Sure our police force have their issues too but nowhere near the level they do in the US with this, partly because they only let some of them carry guns.

Anyway the kneeling isn't doing anything productive any more. It may have made a few people pay attention at the beginning but it's just performative with no real purpose at this stage. If anything it's poked a hornets nest and people are being more openly racist to footballers online than they were before this season.

#32 User is offline   superspurs1981 

• Reserve Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2021 - 22:41

Tom I had not seen this article from the BBC before - scary and sobering read

#33 User is offline   old spur 

• Club Captain

Posted 19 February 2021 - 17:21

View Postelectricpace, on 17 February 2021 - 18:41, said:

It's racist because it is representative of one part and colour of society. Imagine the outcry if we took the knee for the white lives matter campaign. BLM is a racist anarchist organisation created to bring down what they consider to be white society. I believe they have now renamed themselves the black liberation front. BLM and these idiot footballers are creating racism where racism didn't exist. Idiots, the bloody lot of em. This whole thing started when a black guy called George Floyd, with a criminal record as long as your arm for drugs and armed robbery allegedly got killed by a policeman. Apparently that black life mattered, but when the black community ran riot and killed several of their own, those black lives didn't matter. There is a lot of hypocrisy going on here, and it's doing my head in

#34 User is offline   electricpace 

• Club Captain

Posted 19 February 2021 - 18:27

You are incorrect. It didn’t start with the George Floyd murder. Please research more thoroughly next time.

No more from me .

#35 User is offline   ballyerspur 

• Club Captain

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:45

To say racism doesn't exist in football is at best naieve at worst inflammatory and at least denial. But it is so much more than black v white. All ethnicities and minorities are subjected to the systemic abuse that is nurtured from the boardroom to the terraces
To Dare is to Do Now is the Hour

#36 User is offline   old spur 

• Club Captain

Posted 20 February 2021 - 16:49

View Postballyerspur, on 20 February 2021 - 12:45, said:

To say racism doesn't exist in football is at best naieve at worst inflammatory and at least denial. But it is so much more than black v white. All ethnicities and minorities are subjected to the systemic abuse that is nurtured from the boardroom to the terraces

So you believe a club won't buy a player because he is black, they won't promote a member of staff because they are black, or they won't hire a manager because he is black. Do me a favour mate!"

Racism exists everywhere, in every country and every colour of skin. It's not just a black issue. Racism in the UK is on an individual level, and not systemic. Attempting to stop verbal abuse, whether it be calling someone fat, spotty, or short is pointless. People can choose to ignore the insults, because they are just words, or they can choose to be offended. An old saying, "you can't give offence, you can only take it".

STOP PRESS - Bournemouth are no longer taking the knee, now let's see that pack of cards fall

#37 User is offline   Bazali61 

• Youth Squad
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2021 - 18:00

Norman who?

#38 User is offline   electricpace 

• Club Captain

Posted 20 February 2021 - 20:18

View Postold spur, on 20 February 2021 - 16:49, said:

STOP PRESS - Bournemouth are no longer taking the knee, now let's see that pack of cards fall

They’ve stopped it for different reasons to why you oppose it .

Jeez

#39 User is offline   old spur 

• Club Captain

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:25

View Postelectricpace, on 20 February 2021 - 20:18, said:

They’ve stopped it for different reasons to why you oppose it .

Jeez

Don't care, they have stopped it, and that's a start.

#40 User is offline   Bazali61 

• Youth Squad
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:53

View Postold spur, on 21 February 2021 - 12:25, said:

Don't care, they have stopped it, and that's a start.

Best thing Zaha has done all season

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users