• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spurs v C Palace

#1 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Gyms out for a while, retired from port chaplaincy, now a person of leisure. for cardio have gone back to running. still love my digi photography.

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:27

The South London side were founded in 1861 by staff working at the Great Exhibition in Paxton's Crystal Palace. Besides bearing the name of an already famous football end, they became the first team in the history of the game to play in an indoor stadium. There were no fears for the state of the pitch as the clear glass structure let natural light in to allow the grass to grow well. The building did have it's problems though and the regular breaking of glass from wayward shots meant the players had to develop skills in repairing them, which in turn earned them the nickname of "the Glaziers".

Palace entered the first ever FA Cup competition in 1871 and got as far as the semi-finals before they regularly appeared in the final, but only as a venue - not as a team. In 1915, the Army took over the ground and the club moved to Herne Hill and The Den, before finally settling in The Nest. They were founder members of Division 3 in 1920 and became the (South) champions in 1921, but it was 1924 before they built their new ground on a former brickfield, because they didn't have far to go to get materials. The two tall chimneys that remained from the former industry were put to good use as flagpoles and floodlight pillars. The new ground hosted some of the eight FA Cup ties the club played between 1929 and 1931, which contained two 0-0 draws, but 44 goals in other games. During these two decades they ran up in Div.3 three times and were still in that position in 1961 (Div. 4) and 64 (Div.3). It was in the latter season that Kevin Smith rammed home a goal in 6 seconds against Derby County. Around this time, Palace's Vic Rouse also became the first player from the 4th Division to receive an international cap.

It was 1969 before they got to the First Division after finishing second in Div.2. It brought about a rich era of memories for the club with FA Cup semi-finals in 1976, mind-bending kit design and big hats, hair and moustaches . It was around this time they became the Eagles, as there was a great following of the American MOR band amongst the officials at the club. With Terry Venables at the helm, the side were hailed as the "Team of the Eighties", which was great news for the Second Division. After that they became a yo-yo team bouncing between the top two divisions, but recently their string has snapped. Ron Noades still owns the ground, but left the team to fend for itself and receivership was knocking on the door until the supporters decided to set up a trust fund to try and rescue the club. It is only ten years since they were in the FA Cup Final and in the top division, but financial mismanagement has hit Palace hard. Indeed, they were one of the founder members of the Premier League, but that looks a long way off for the club at the moment.

One of the most amazing turnarounds in the club's history came in 1990 when they lost to Liverpool 0-9, but came back eight months later to beat them 4-3 in an FA Cup semi-final. It was something the fans never expected to see as they used to sing about their captain Cannon

"When Jim goes up,
To lift the FA Cup,
We'll be dead,
We'll be dead !!"

They even managed to draw 3-3 with Man. U in the final before going down to a single goal in the replay.
We have in the past got from them;
Peter Taylor 1976, Andy Gray 1992, Chris Armstrong 1995, Wayne Roultledge 2005, and John Bostock 2008.
we sold to them, I will not go to far back; Roger Hoy 1968, Phil Holder 1975, John Lacy 1983, Dean Austin 1998,and Zeki Freyers 2014.
Our form against tham is as follows;
P 97
W 48
D 24
L 25
F 166
A 117
And our home form is;
P 49
W 27
D 13
L 9
F 92
A 42.
our last game against them was 1-1 draw, with Kane scoring in the 23rd minute,then we let in the equaliser in the 81st minute(bit of a sickner)seeing as we totally dominated the first half, only to come out after the break and do a reversal of roles, we just seemed to sit back while they continually pounded us, justly getting their reward in the 81st minute, after that we finally seemed to wake up but by then it was far to late. so for this one as much as always I want my clean sheet I will go for a Spurs win 2-1.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#2 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 04 March 2021 - 20:25

Two big wins in a row keeping us on track and only 4 points from Everton in 4th. Chelsea playing Liverpool right now and then Everton on Monday - we need to make it 3 in a row to make things very interesting.

#3 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 04 March 2021 - 21:14

Id rest as many of the players as we can, ready for the europa league game next Thursday . Massive game ! Far more important than the palace game in my opinion . Cant afford any injuries or tiredness . This is going to be our hardest test in the competition so far .
Id play winks , sissoko , gedson , vinny , hart , moura, Ali ,

We need the first 11 rested, fit and ready for Thursday night

#4 User is offline   SteveB 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2021 - 21:36

View Poststokesie, on 04 March 2021 - 21:14, said:

Id rest as many of the players as we can, ready for the europa league game next Thursday . Massive game ! Far more important than the palace game in my opinion . Cant afford any injuries or tiredness . This is going to be our hardest test in the competition so far .

#5 User is offline   SteveB 

• Club Captain

Posted 04 March 2021 - 21:42

Gedson is no longer with us. His loan deal was terminated in January and is now at Galatasary. The way sides like Man Utd and Leicester are dropping points a top four finish is not impossible but i have to say that Harry and Son looked very tired this evening and if we could rest one of them that would be great. I cannot see Bale playing three games in a week and would prefer to see him play against Zagreb rather than Palace

#6 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 04 March 2021 - 21:46

#7 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 04 March 2021 - 21:47

View Poststokesie, on 04 March 2021 - 21:46, said:

We are nowhere near consistent enough to gain enough points to be overtaking anyone in the top 4.. we dont make enough happen in games when its tight to get the points, its a top 6 finish at best . Everything needs to be focussed on the europa cup games now IMO .

#8 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 04 March 2021 - 22:14

Not sure winning the European is any less difficult than hitting top 4.

Maybe easier to motivate the players, but without improvement can't see either happening tbh.

#9 User is offline   Roshan 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Interests:Cooking, Travelling, Natural Therapy, Reading, Collecting Millitary Objects and swimming.

Posted 04 March 2021 - 22:14

Just like the game against Fulham, this one will be tricky as well.

Will go for :

Lloris

Aurier Tanganga Rodon Reguilon

Hojbjerg NDombele

Lamela Moura Son

Kane
BORN TO BE A SPURS FAN.

#10 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 04 March 2021 - 22:20

Zaha has missed their last 5 games, and they drew a blank in 4 of those games.

I think he will play.

#11 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 04 March 2021 - 23:19

View Poststokesie, on 04 March 2021 - 21:14, said:

This may be a good point? Jose has to play it right with the squad - Europa is HUGE

#12 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:27

Europa is huge but we also have this game and the NLD either side and the league positions are also crucial. Something has to give somewhere though.

For this weekend Id go with:

Lloris

Aurier Dier Rodon Reguilon

Winks Hojberg

Lucas Dele Bergwijn

Kane

We need to rest Son, he looks shattered every game. Ndombele also needs to be fit for Thursday and arsenal. We will need to take a risk somewhere in the next few games.

#13 User is offline   ArmchairSpurs 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:18

Heart says 2-0. Head says 1-1.

#14 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Gyms out for a while, retired from port chaplaincy, now a person of leisure. for cardio have gone back to running. still love my digi photography.

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:54

Know that feeling mate exactley, with you on that, but am still optimistic of a win.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#15 User is offline   Parklaner 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 March 2021 - 13:18

Feel confident for this one
We will have our tails up & go attacking in the lineup.
Reggy aurier moura will all be back in our 11 imo & good chance Lo celso will make the bench.

3-0

#16 User is offline   electricpace 

• Club Captain

Posted 05 March 2021 - 13:57

looking forward to a potential Lo Celso comeback but not sure I'd stop Lamela coming on as the impact sub to accommodate him. A good headache for the manager anyway.

Prediction: 2-1 win but a close game.

#17 User is offline   Itsafunnyoldgame 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2021 - 18:08

Just as a side issue how come we were in crisis when we lost five out of six but LFC lose five at home on the bounce and there still in the fight for top four . Why are the Media so against THFC ????

#18 User is offline   electricpace 

• Club Captain

Posted 05 March 2021 - 19:05

View PostItsafunnyoldgame, on 05 March 2021 - 18:08, said:

Just as a side issue how come we were in crisis when we lost five out of six but LFC lose five at home on the bounce and there still in the fight for top four . Why are the Media so against THFC ????

I suppose you expect more to come from a title winning side and an attack minded manager .

Were not near that level.

#19 User is offline   Itsafunnyoldgame 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2021 - 19:19

View Postelectricpace, on 05 March 2021 - 19:05, said:

I suppose you expect more to come from a title winning side and an attack minded manager .

Were not near that level.

And yet one point behind with a game in hand go figure eh ???

#20 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 March 2021 - 20:27

I've been reading alot about Klopp leaving and Gerrard taking over.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users