• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malbranque Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Gyms out for a while, retired from port chaplaincy, now a person of leisure. for cardio have gone back to running. still love my digi photography.

Posted 14 March 2008 - 15:25

I see on the beeb text it says that a section of spurs fans have labeled Malbranque a "bottler" for not taking a penalty. IMO I respect the guy for that in so much as having the guts to admit he was not confident with himself.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#2 Guest_The Iron Sloth_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 March 2008 - 15:30

What about Lennon, Woodgate, Robbo? they didn't take one. I'm sure his turn would have come, it would have had to. And all the penalties up until Chimbo were pretty good, Jenas was bit weak but if the keeper had guessed wrong it would have gone in! So why did Malbranque need to take one!

I think that's ridiculous, I'm not sure how many of those fans would have stood up and volunteered.
Very few I doubt.

#3 Guest_ginola1999_*

Posted 14 March 2008 - 15:32

but sometimes you have to step forward and put yourself in that situation for your team, and he was fulhams penalty taker which makes the decision not to take one even stranger

#4 Guest_The Iron Sloth_*

Posted 14 March 2008 - 15:40

Maybe it was not his decision. And it the 5 takers all said I'll definitely do it then he may have thought ok they feel confident I won't get in the way. Who knows he may have been next after Chimbo?

And the first 5 all scored apart from Jenas - who we would all expect to be in the first 5.

#5 Guest_Ronnie Rosenthal_*

Posted 14 March 2008 - 15:46

It's from The Sun so I wonder if we can spot The Sun's xenophobia sneaking through.

Lennon; winger, decent player, strikes a ball quite well, English : No stick

Malbranque; winger, decent player, strikes a ball quite well, French : Aah, must be a responsiblity dodging, bottling, shifty type then, not like our brave british boys.

Jesus wept.

Has anybody actually got any footage or confirmed story that he actually bottled it. Was he asked to take 1 and refused or did he just not speak up? Did he do anything Lennon and Woody didn't? Where they not asked?

Kind of reserving judgement on this 1 until it's clear exactly what happened.

If he was asked and refused I'd be very disappointed, particularly as he was Fulham's penalty take, even if you didn't fancy it I'd want people who wanted to serve the team.

If he just didn't volunteer as he didn't fancy it in the moment, I've no problem with him.

Either way I can't say I feel any fury at the bloke.

Why do we always need to turn on our own players?

Just this season; Robinson, Chimbonda, Kaboul, Zokora, Jenas (as always), Berby, Bent.

What's wrong with us?

#6 Guest_Supersub_*

Posted 14 March 2008 - 17:07

i was shcoked when i saw that malbranqe wasnt taking one, even zokora and chimbonda ahead of him...
However... if a player isnt confident, then they shouldnt be forced too.
Its hard to blame players that take pens, however i think jenas was looking abit too cool in his step up to that pen..

Its a gamble, a great way to win but the worst way to loose

#7 Guest_UpTheSpurs_*

Posted 14 March 2008 - 17:26

Well, correct me if I'm not right but isn't it THE MANAGER that choses who takes the penalties?!

I've no doubt that Ramos isn't the sort of person that would take someone saying "Guv, I can't take no penalty tonight 'cos I'm frightened of missing one mate!"

#8 Guest_Matt_THFC_*

Posted 14 March 2008 - 18:01

People, people...you are forgetting that penalties are a lottery. We took 7, scored 5...Jenas was in two minds (whether to place it low or blast it high and instead ending up placing it high for the keeper) and Chimbo didn't even hit the target.

Don't blame either of them for us going out of the cup. We should have won that tie in the 210 minutes we played.

#9 User is offline   journeyman 

• Interests:Gyms out for a while, retired from port chaplaincy, now a person of leisure. for cardio have gone back to running. still love my digi photography.

Posted 14 March 2008 - 18:55

Well said Matt.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#10 Guest_Buck Rogers_*

Posted 14 March 2008 - 22:39

i hold no grudge against the guy. so what he didnt take one!! king? lennon? woodgate?

#11 Guest_Buck Rogers_*

Posted 14 March 2008 - 22:40

QUOTE (UpTheSpurs @ Mar 14 2008, 05:26 PM)
Well, correct me if I'm not right but isn't it THE MANAGER that choses who takes the penalties?!

I've no doubt that Ramos isn't the sort of person that would take someone saying "Guv, I can't take no penalty tonight 'cos I'm frightened of missing one mate!"

bang on mate lmao.gif

#12 Guest_TIM1965_*

Posted 14 March 2008 - 23:57

QUOTE (UpTheSpurs @ Mar 14 2008, 05:26 PM)

Only partially true !
Although the manager will make the final choice he will go around the players who are certainly the 5 first choice takers and ask them if they are still ok etc, etc and remember the list of takers can only be finalised at the last minute due to subs having been made.

In my opinion, any manager who forces a player certainly in the first five to take a penalty is asking for trouble !!!!

I have read many instances where a player penciled in to take a penalty, backs out at the last minute.

To be honest, there are usually only 2 or 3 players in a team who REALLY fancy taking a penalty !

Cheers

Tim.

#13 Guest_Up The Yids_*

Posted 15 March 2008 - 00:00

Yeh watch the footage and see Malbranque and Lennon have a word with Juande.

Letting a full back who is hardly prolific in front of goal, take a penality ahead of two wingers who have an eye for goal in my book isnt acceptable. Regardless of how nervous you may be, dock those donkey`s wages because that was terrible on thier part! Anyone agree?

#14 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:41

As someone has already stated we should have won it in the game time we did after all have some good chances.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#15 Guest_griff_*

Posted 15 March 2008 - 20:28

If Keand hadn't gone off Jenas would not have been the 5th penalty taker either

#16 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 15 March 2008 - 20:57

Very true I agree but I guess thats sod law mate. But do agree.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#17 Guest_Buck Rogers_*

Posted 15 March 2008 - 21:06

QUOTE (griff @ Mar 15 2008, 08:28 PM)
If Keand hadn't gone off Jenas would not have been the 5th penalty taker either

its full of ifs and buts. what if malbranque scored with his shot? what if bent had scored....

#18 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:53

Very true my friend.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#19 Guest_CO_Spurs_*

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:02

Bottom line is, we don't really know what happened. It is my opinion that the manager picks. He should have had them picked well before the shootout...do you think Ramos watched the entire 30 extra minutes and then was "surprised" that he had to pick players really quickly?

Robbojol is right to withhold judgment until there is more information. For all we know Ramos was telling Lennon and Steed you're kicker #7 and #8. Have we seen them take penalties? You would think that they would be better then Chimbonda or Zakora, but we don't know that let alone what was said. For some teams, their goalie is a taker. You just don't know. I'll give Ramos the benefit of the doubt and say that he made the right decision at the time.

#20 Guest_Up The Yids_*

Posted 16 March 2008 - 19:55

QUOTE (CO_Spurs_719 @ Mar 16 2008, 06:02 PM)
Bottom line is, we don't really know what happened. It is my opinion that the manager picks. He should have had them picked well before the shootout...do you think Ramos watched the entire 30 extra minutes and then was "surprised" that he had to pick players really quickly?

Robbojol is right to withhold judgment until there is more information. For all we know Ramos was telling Lennon and Steed you're kicker #7 and #8. Have we seen them take penalties? You would think that they would be better then Chimbonda or Zakora, but we don't know that let alone what was said. For some teams, their goalie is a taker. You just don't know. I'll give Ramos the benefit of the doubt and say that he made the right decision at the time.

Spot on.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users