Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Glastonbury

#1 Guest_Ronnie Rosenthal_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:54

Anyone go?

Anyone, like me, watch much on the T.V over the weekend?

I saw a bit of Neil Young on BBC2 on Friday night and all of what they showed of Springsteen on Saturday and Blur last night.

As well as bits of Tom Jones, Madness, Nick Cave, Status Quo, Bon Iver and the various acoustic songs people popped into play on BBC2. Lisa Hannigan in particular sounded lovely. Wish they'd played some of the Fleet Foxes.

I wish I had the red button and interactive, seems like you'd have a lot more freedom to explore what was going on than you did just being stuck with what BBC2 was showing.

Watching made me want to go even more, it's definitely on my list of things to do. Looking at the line-up The John Peel stage, the Park Stage and the Acoustic Stage look great, I think I'd spend most of my time on those and just wandering round. Queen's Head Stage looked good as well. Ray Davies was on the Acoustic stage which would've been brill.

As much as you can gage from the TV I thought Blur looked good but I'm not sure their songs need to be belted out live, at their best they are very well crafted and pumped up, belted out versions of stuff like Parklife ruined them a bit for me, it's quite a laconic song. Very good band though and Song 2 and The Universal sounded great.

Springsteen looked absolutely immense.

Quite enjoyed what I saw over the weekend.

nice1.gif

#2 Guest_Matt_THFC_*

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:46

Bruce is a legend nice1.gif .

Not ever gone to Glastonbury, got V-Festival to look forward to later in the summer but nothing compares to Glastonbury it would seem.

#3 Guest_Diamond Lights_*

Posted 29 June 2009 - 13:11

I've been in the past but wouldn't go again, it has just got too big for me. Some friends went this year and it took them nearly an hour to walk from their camp site to either of the two main stages. That's nothing compared to the queue to get out, it took them 7 hours to just get out of the car park last year !

Having said that, the line up this year was excellent, Springsteen, Blur, Prodigy and Kasabian are all bands I've seen in the past and totally enjoyed their live sets at Glastonbury. I'll stick to the Reading and V festivals for now, not so big and much easier to get around both sites.

#4 Guest_Ronnie Rosenthal_*

Posted 29 June 2009 - 14:07

I'm not a regular festival goer so when I do go it will be Glastonbury just to see what it's like.

Those flags looked a bloody nuisance didn't they?

#5 Guest_Woody's Barber_*

Posted 29 June 2009 - 14:50

QUOTE (Ronnie Rosenthal @ Jun 29 2009, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those flags looked a bloody nuisance didn't they?

They would p!ss me off something rotten.

Like you said in an earlier post, I would be hanging around the smaller stages anyway I think. I would have gone to see Blur, but the other headliners didn't exactly light my life up.

Also like you Ronnie, I'm not a regular at festivals and if I were to go to one it would be Glastonbury.

I caught Lily Allen on TV......on the big stage. She is AWFUL. She cannot sing ffs!! And putting an artist like her on the big stage in front of hundreds of thousands of fans was a bad move. It was like Glastonbury had turned into the worlds largest holiday park and the main act was ill so they had to get the waitress with the least offensive voice to sing some songs with a fag in her hand. She should not have been on the largest stage, her music does not suit that situation at all.

#6 Guest_Ronnie Rosenthal_*

Posted 29 June 2009 - 15:19

Yeah I thought there was lot of bland stuff on; Lily Allen, The Script, Lady Gaga, The Ting Tings.

Not dreadfull bad but pretty nondescript and you always think of Glastonbury of at least offering distinctive music that engages.

At times you could've looked at the set list and it could easily have been any generic summer pop festival going on where you hope for a Glastonbury line-up to offer something a bit different. I suppose it's still all there if you look for it.

Although you wouldn't have known it was bland listening to Jo Whiley over the 3 days; every single artist, every single one she raved about as being brilliant and moving and amazing.

Every one.

For 3 days.

Well, when she wasn't name-dropping Florence & The Machine, Bats For Lashes, Little Boots and whatever other generically "cool" bandwagon was passing by to jump on. Man alive she was sycophantic. At least Mark Radcliffe had the good taste to be drunk.

I don't think it reflected particularly well on the quality of engaging accesible music currently being made that all of the best sets seemed to come from the more senior acts. Maybe that's always been the case, I don't know.

I thought Damon Albarn's lack of presence and Blur's general lack of stage craft coming after the likes of Tom Jones, Madness and particularly Springsteen was glaringly obvious.

#7 Guest_Woody's Barber_*

Posted 29 June 2009 - 15:36

Jo Wiley is the biggest brown nose in music. She name drops constantly on her show. She'll play an Oasis track then once it finishes she'd say something like "Ahh, great track. Actually I remember when I was round Liam's house, he's a great guy, we had a great laugh".

Yeah wicked Jo! You're a Radio 1 DJ. Assume that everyone knows you rub shoulders with bands.

I saw "Country House" performed by Blur. I liked it. I always loved Blur. I didn't see the whole set though. It did seem a bit ordinary, performance/stage presence wise, but I do love their music.

#8 Guest_Diamond Lights_*

Posted 29 June 2009 - 18:26

Give em a chance guys ! They've been split since 1999 and only got back together a couple of months ago. In the circumstances I thought Blur did quite well, I've seen them live a few times and they have been absolutely excellent. Once they're back in the swing of things, one of their gigs will be THE ticket to get hold of.

#9 Guest_Supersub_*

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:19

Went and saw Enter Shikari - well worth it... wasnt a big fan of the headliners, pendulum,NERD and lilly allen where my personal highlights

#10 Guest_Simmer_*

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:57

Lily Allen? Good grief.

Apart from that, what is all this talk that she's bloody gorgeous about?

Never been to Glastonbury and would never go to a music festival again. Ever.

#11 Guest_Supersub_*

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:31

QUOTE (Simmer @ Jul 11 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lily Allen? Good grief.

Apart from that, what is all this talk that she's bloody gorgeous about?

Never been to Glastonbury and would never go to a music festival again. Ever.

shes not obvously good looking, just find theres somehting about her...
lets just say i wouldnt say no smile.gif ;-)

you not a fan of music festivals?

#12 Guest_Simmer_*

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:56

QUOTE (Supersub @ Jul 11 2009, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Certainly not. Where do I begin?

#13 Guest_Supersub_*

Posted 11 July 2009 - 13:35

The Start? ;-)

#14 Guest_Simmer_*

Posted 11 July 2009 - 13:45

QUOTE (Supersub @ Jul 11 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Start? ;-)

I'm heading out the door shortly but I'll get the ball rolling now.

The last time I went to a festival, I went for the day and it was a disaster. I went to see Interpol and I could hardly enjoy them because people who who were out of ther minds on f*** knows what and completely covered in muck were crowdsurfing and knocking people over. Into the s***.

The place was full of yobs. I had to stand up to my ankles in s*** in the freezing cold to watch Muse (who were on last) - the main draw for my bird. I hate Muse.

Got back to the carpark and my brother's car had been wrecked by hooligans. f*** that.

smile.gif

#15 Guest_Supersub_*

Posted 11 July 2009 - 14:36

QUOTE (Simmer @ Jul 11 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm heading out the door shortly but I'll get the ball rolling now.

The last time I went to a festival, I went for the day and it was a disaster. I went to see Interpol and I could hardly enjoy them because people who who were out of ther minds on f*** knows what and completely covered in muck were crowdsurfing and knocking people over. Into the s***.

The place was full of yobs. I had to stand up to my ankles in s*** in the freezing cold to watch Muse (who were on last) - the main draw for my bird. I hate Muse.

Got back to the carpark and my brother's car had been wrecked by hooligans. f*** that.

smile.gif

See to me, that first bit sounds like a pretty wicked festival...the mayhem is part and parcil of it and im not a 'rowdy' kind of person but pushing and shoving in horrible cold muddy weather is quite fun lol

There are always going to be yobbos around but most are at festivals for just a good time - as for the car...well thats just bang out of order. Sounds like a very annyoing and bad festival experiance. But they arn't all like that im sure smile.gif

#16 Guest_Simmer_*

Posted 11 July 2009 - 22:47

QUOTE (Supersub @ Jul 11 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See to me, that first bit sounds like a pretty wicked festival...the mayhem is part and parcil of it and im not a 'rowdy' kind of person but pushing and shoving in horrible cold muddy weather is quite fun lol

There are always going to be yobbos around but most are at festivals for just a good time - as for the car...well thats just bang out of order. Sounds like a very annyoing and bad festival experiance. But they arn't all like that im sure smile.gif

Maybe we don't have the same sense of humour. I'm serious about my music and these tw*ts were breaking my concentration. Maybe I'm just too old for it.

And I didn't even mention portaloos yet.

#17 Guest_Matt_THFC_*

Posted 18 July 2009 - 17:10

QUOTE (Supersub @ Jul 11 2009, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say no instantly.... wink1.gif

Her face makes my stomach sick kiss.gif .

#18 Guest_Supersub_*

Posted 30 July 2009 - 20:50

QUOTE (Matt_THFC @ Jul 18 2009, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would say no instantly.... wink1.gif

Her face makes my stomach sick kiss.gif .

because your a homosexual?

#19 Guest_Dezzer_*

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:50

I'd have liked to see Neil Young.

Not a fan of Glastonbury. Just a mish-mash of random bands. And am not interested in the Hippy-atmosphere. Can't see the point personally of watching about 3 people I like for about 200. Each to their own. And a lot of my mates love it. I'd personally prefer to go to Reading (easy as I live near, and better music).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users