Planet Spurs Forums: Tottenham Hotspur 1-1 Chelsea - Planet Spurs Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Tottenham Hotspur 1-1 Chelsea Sunday 12 December 2010, KO: 16:00 GMT, White Hart Lane

#161 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 December 2010 - 18:29

QUOTE (Stephan @ Dec 12 2010, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet another home draw, another game without a clean sheet. Say goodbye to top 4 this year!

'Arry made the wrong sub by taking Defoe of for "The Lantern Post" and we didn't cope with them bringing on Drogba. Defending was woeful yet again. Assou-Ekotto shaky as always, Dawson at fault at the goal, Gomes an absolute flapper.

To be fair Drogba flicked the ball on with his arm a) should be a free kick; b) This is Daws first competitive match back after how many months!? and c) Gomes just cocked things up today oh and d) they had a 12th man Mr Howard We... Sorry Mike Dean. rolleyes.gif

Re: Defoe sub, wtf was that about... as well as bringing on Robbie keane to sure up midfield??? Right... Headbanger.gif

#162 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 12 December 2010 - 18:31

I don't care about the fact it was Dawson's first game back. It was route one stuff. Chech hoofs it to Drogba, Dawson goes in half soft, Drogba wriggles away with ease, and Gomes cocks up the rest.

It was like I was watching Comedy Capers! getyacoat.gif

#163 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 12 December 2010 - 19:06

I think your being harsh mate on Daws, it wasn't like he was up against DJ Campbell lol Drogba is one of the worlds best and strongest strikers, if anyone should be blamed it was Gomes for letting in that calamity of a goal.

#164 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 12 December 2010 - 19:38

Gutted, they were there for the taking and we almost came away with nothing. The open style of football we are playing is not out of any coaching manual.

I thought Wilson had a great game and didn't see him give away possesion much if at all
BAE also had a good game, he plays football when he is on song
Bassong was ok but a bit shaky in possesion
Daws did ok and Drogba got lucky (daws lost sight of the ball which lost him a yard), handball would have been harsh, and then Gomes Headbanger.gif
Hutton is physical but has no finess (not saying drop him)
Modric was pivotal, and yes, he did a Wilson early in the game
Lennon started slow but got much better
Bale was ok and his defending was a bit better today.
Defoe was a very willing runner into the channels and full of energy chasing everything, i would almost say his movement was Excellent
Pav took his goal very well with a nice touch and cool finish.

Our problems started in the 2nd half really, after Chelsea's midfield decided to close Modric down rather than stand and watch him, and the ball didn't stick up top. Defoe coming off caused us to go ariel to Crouch as may times there was nothing on in front of the player with the ball. This is a major problem with us, we cannot slow the game by keeping possesion and therefore we cannot dictate the game unless we are attacking. We won't be able to keep playing this way as fatigue is already starting to show in Bale and Modric, the later was out on his feet for the last 10 mins.

I suppose a draw was a fair result on reflection

#165 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 12 December 2010 - 19:42

Simply put. Crouch f***s up our whole play when he comes on. All tactics, fine passing and build-up play goes out of the window and it's all route one. It's so frustrating I hope he leaves in January.

#166 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 12 December 2010 - 19:51

To be fair it wasn't sticking at the start of the 2nd half and he was brought on to try and remedy this. He didn't cause it but, he didn't remedy it either.

Pavs touch deserted him in the 2nd half at times, and he got caught in possesion.
Crouch won a few headers/flick on's/ free kicks but hardly ever got the ball down for us to play.

#167 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 12 December 2010 - 20:19

There is no value to Crouch, the whole point of bringing him on was because we were under the cosh in the second half by playing long balls and floating in crosses because he is an aerial threat rolleyes.gif but he forgot to remember that Crouch never attacks the ball or has that heading/jumping ability to score goals... Then the pressure was more on us! Defoe didn't need to be rested, his pace on the counter would have easily done Terry and Ivanovich and bringing him off after only 19 minutes of second half was premature normally wait till 65-70 min mark, summed up by bringing on Keane as an extra man in midfield don't know how to explain that one!? blink.gif

#168 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 12 December 2010 - 23:04

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ Dec 12 2010, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gutted, they were there for the taking and we almost came away with nothing. The open style of football we are playing is not out of any coaching manual.

I thought Wilson had a great game and didn't see him give away possesion much if at all
Daws did ok and Drogba got lucky (daws lost sight of the ball which lost him a yard), handball would have been harsh, and then Gomes Headbanger.gif
Defoe was a very willing runner into the channels and full of energy chasing everything, i would almost say his movement was Excellent

Our problems started in the 2nd half really, after Chelsea's midfield decided to close Modric down rather than stand and watch him, and the ball didn't stick up top. Defoe coming off caused us to go ariel to Crouch as may times there was nothing on in front of the player with the ball. This is a major problem with us, we cannot slow the game by keeping possesion and therefore we cannot dictate the game unless we are attacking. We won't be able to keep playing this way as fatigue is already starting to show in Bale and Modric, the later was out on his feet for the last 10 mins.

Pretty well my thoughts exactly!

I thought it was strange that in the first half we bossed the midfield, then in the second they took off a midfielder evened up the numbers and dominated us. I would have probably taken lennon off in the second half and thrown on sandro to take back control. Also our defence sat too deep.

We looked knackered at the end. A weeks rest before the xmas games will really help.

#169 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:29

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ Dec 12 2010, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with virtually all of this. I think that the back four were, in general, very good today and BAE...I can't believe I'm typing this, I couldn't stand the sight of him last year...was outstanding! Credit to Wilson also, he played well in every department. If anything, it was our offensive players who were a little subdued yesterday, although maybe that's a little harsh. The stat of only one shot on goal is deceptive; I counted six occasions when we had real opportunities to create good chances only to waste them by a combination of poor first touches (Pav and Defoe once each),wrong options (Bale twice and Modric once) and by dwelling on the ball too long (Lennon once). Great to see Daws back in the fold and I also thought he was unlucky with the goal. The penalty save not only got us the point he should also help Gomes' confidence.
At the end of the day a draw was a fair result; Chelsea played well, especially in the second half, and we could easily have collapsed after the equalizer. Given my dire prediction and the events of injury time, I'm satisfied with a draw, but a sense of disappointment still lingers. Avoiding defeat means that the whole thing is still ticking along but a win next week is now an absolute must!

#170 Guest_Go Team_*

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:39

I'm not sure the subs were tactical. Defoe had done nothing in the 10 minutes before he was subbed. Same with Pav. The two looked exausted and we needed some fresh legs. Even if the were useless fresh legs...

Modric, Dawson and Bale also looked wrecked.

Good game for most of the team tho. Gomes is the reason we didn't get three points against a Chelsea side that played well. And that was conceding a point blank effort from the top striker in the premiership, not the worst mistake but he should have done better.

#171 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 13 December 2010 - 13:09

We were way too timid in the first half and we let them back in it. If we would've pushed on straight after the 1-0 I'm pretty sure we could've been at least 2-0 up at half time. That would've broken their morale and they might have capitulated totally. Oh well, same old Tottenham I guess...

#172 Guest_FergoSpurs_*

Posted 13 December 2010 - 14:39

For what it's worth, my thoughts on yesterday:

1) There can be no bigger sign of how far we have come than so many of us being so angry with 'dropping points' against the champions. Also telling is Ancelotti considering Chelsea's blip is over folloing a DRAW with us - shows that they consider a draw at WHL a very good result.

2) Crouch has to go - I'm very sorry because I have a secret fondness for the demented Giraffe - but the Jekyll and Hyde disparity in our performance vs Ar5enal with him on and Defoe on said it all. Again yesterday he came on and our strategy was to just hoof it long with almost every attack (and he did little with it). Add to that the fact that he has zero pace and (for this season at least) can't hit a barn door. IMO he actually hurts us when he comes on because the option he gives us stops us from playing our football.

3) BAE was epic. I don't normally rate him at all (and yes he was out of position once or twice) but he saved the game for me more than once - top marks.

4) . Dean was pathetic. Chelski are a very dirty side and they thugged us off the ball. I think we badly need to toughen up and learn how to do this oursleves but, that aside, taking Bale as an example, both this game and the one against Twente he got a shoeing. Yesterday was much more blatant than midweek though and the ref did nothing.

Overall, when you see that Chelski had 62% of possession, I should be happy with a point... but I'm not. Which I think means either that we really have come along way or that I'm deluded. Either way, well done boys, now let's cut out the silly errors and win something!! COYS COYS COYS

#173 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 13 December 2010 - 17:06

One final point...a snap shot from behind of Drogba running up to take the penalty clearly shows a miffed AL standing on the semi-circle static, hand on hip, feet apart and in no position to run in and clear the ball should Gomes save it and the ball come back out towards the kicker. He should have been 5 yards back moving forward as Drogba ran in. He may be 'sh*te' now but credit to Keane, he anticipated a possible save and was the first person to the rebound and cleared the danger!

#174 User is offline   1940Spursman8 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Interests:obviously spurs-Xbox (Hayjax) music c/western.

Posted 13 December 2010 - 18:09

I was very disappointed with the result of this match a game I think we
should have won.We started well and got an early goal by Pav; then
Chelsea started to get back in the game and we let them and what the
h*ll was Gomes doing he had an absolute howler first of all I feel he
could have saved that shot that gave Chelsea an equaliser and then
worst of all he takes one of their players out to give them a penalty.
He saved some grace by saving the penalty but I feel this is 3 points
lost for us.If we want the 4th place in the league we have got to play
better than this and be more consistant and as for winning the
Premier League title I think we have a little way to go.
1940Spursman8...coys//////////////////////////////////////////////////// yawn.gif

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users