Planet Spurs Forums: Tottenham Hotspur 1-1 Chelsea - Planet Spurs Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Tottenham Hotspur 1-1 Chelsea Sunday 12 December 2010, KO: 16:00 GMT, White Hart Lane

#21 Guest_FergoSpurs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:06

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ Dec 9 2010, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chelski's loss of form has absolutely nothing to do with Essien, Lampard or Terry being out of action.

Think back........... Ray Wilkins gets the tin tac and Chelski go on a bad run. Is it his revolutionry Crab style tac-tics that they miss? Or is it that CARLOS (silent s) can't communicate with his players properly.

How do you say "square ball" in Italian?

Morning P'n'R. smile.gif

Whilst I'm giving in a bit on JJ, I can't buy the Essien has 'nothing to do' with their loss of form - he's a monster and they missed him badly in my opinion.

I do however agree totally that Wilkins getting the boot has a lot to do with it. Why bin the main link between manager and players mid season? Something very odd has gone on there and Chelski are paying the price. But I think losing the personnel they have would hurt any team.

I just hope that they are still lacklustre when they come to us. crest.gif

Oh, and presumbaly square ball in Ancelotti speak is 'fkware ballet'? Actually, forget Essien and Wilkins - Maybe that's why they've been dancing around like anne widdecombe for their last few games.

#22 Guest_bracknellyid_*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:01

TEAM NEWS

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/artic...eam-news-101210

As expected Luka is back in contention.

Great news about Kaboul.

#23 Guest_stoxy1_*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 13:34

im not as confident as all you lot!! i see another 1-1. just think that chelsea will improve at some point and itll just be our luck that they come to us and are hard to break down.

#24 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 14:54

I seem to say this before every game these days, but defensive central midfield is key for me. I'm not convinced by WP anymore...his cross field pass towards the end of Tuesday's game spoke volumes and was him all over. We cannot afford mistakes like that against Chelsea. How about these two novel suggestions...I would play Mad Willy in that position, sweeping just in front of Bassong and Dawson. He will be right up for this one and he is usually disciplined enough to hold the position. I would start Charlie as right back...more defensive than Hutton and links better with Lennon, and play Keane up front with Defoe, using Crouch after an hour or so as plan B, if necessary. Keane did alright when he came on in Holland and if he is going to be in the shop window in January he will want to make a name for himself. He also likes to come deep at times and in so doing he can provide additional support for Modric when needed. This is the type of game where Pav might go into hiding so I would put him on the bench and if he does come on he might be a little fired up!

#25 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 14:59

QUOTE (GJHSpurs @ Dec 10 2010, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seem to say this before every game these days, but defensive central midfield is key for me. I'm not convinced by WP anymore...his cross field pass towards the end of Tuesday's game spoke volumes and was him all over. We cannot afford mistakes like that against Chelsea. How about these two novel suggestions...I would play Mad Willy in that position, sweeping just in front of Bassong and Dawson. He will be right up for this one and he is usually disciplined enough to hold the position. I would start Charlie as right back...more defensive than Hutton and links better with Lennon, and play Keane up front with Defoe, using Crouch after an hour or so as plan B, if necessary. Keane did alright when he came on in Holland and if he is going to be in the shop window in January he will want to make a name for himself. He also likes to come deep at times and in so doing he can provide additional support for Modric when needed. This is the type of game where Pav might go into hiding so I would put him on the bench and if he does come on he might be a little fired up!

I'm sorry but I disagree with every single point here. rolleyes.gif

#26 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 15:01

Have to agree with Tom here, Im afraid.

#27 Guest_bracknellyid_*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 15:20

Im not digging you out but i couldnt give two f***s about putting Keane in the shop window. Its one of our biggest games of the season so to change our formula just to give him chance to shine and impress his latest boyhood club would be madness.

#28 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 15:30

Has anyone thought of the fact that if we win this game, then it could well ensure Ancelotti loses his job? The last nail in his coffin so to speak!
Obviously I still want us to win and f*** Chelsea, but feel a bit sorry for Carlo - seems like a decent guy working for a megalomaniac crim (for a second time on the spin)...

#29 Guest_bracknellyid_*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 15:46

QUOTE (Tommospur @ Dec 10 2010, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone thought of the fact that if we win this game, then it could well ensure Ancelotti loses his job? The last nail in his coffin so to speak!
Obviously I still want us to win and f*** Chelsea, but feel a bit sorry for Carlo - seems like a decent guy working for a megalomaniac crim (for a second time on the spin)...

Well yes and no.

I think he is a fantastic coach and quite honestly it would be a disgrace if they sacked him BUT they are currently in the worst run of form since Abramovich came in. Imagine if Avram Grant had these results when at Chelsea?

I dont think the Russian will wield the axe until after the Arsenal game if at all. If we did beat Chelsea on Sunday it would be madness to go into a games against United and Arsenal with either a caretaker or a new manager that the squad dont know at all. I think Chelsea as a club will have a beter idea of the "crisis" they are in after the next 3 games.

However its madness they sacked Wilkins, its madness that we are potentially favourites against Chelsea, its madness that 18 stone men call Frank Lampard a fat w***er..

MADNESS, MADNESS, MADNESS

#30 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 17:13

QUOTE (Tommospur @ Dec 10 2010, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry but I disagree with every single point here. rolleyes.gif

I must admit that there was a bit of 'Devil's Advocate' about some of the points I made and I figured the Keane suggestion would get blasted. The logic behind it was a consideration of the alternatives. Crouch would be too easily knocked off the ball by Terry et al and without VDV, there would only be Defoe floating about to pick up the knock downs. I believe this game will be won on the deck. In view of this, the other option is Pav but his speed and first touch are not that wonderful. Both Keane and Defoe are pacy and good at getting on the end of low, well-struck crosses which can be provided by our wingers...and speed is not Terry's forte.
Regarding Gallas...I would stick with that suggestion for the reasons stated. Alternatively, if fit, I would try YK there but to drop Bassong would be harsh, assuming we play Dawson.
I would also stand by the Corluka argument...Ashley Cole likes to get forward and Hutton's defensive qualities would be tested to the limits.
At the end of the day, I am concerned with the number of goals we are leaking and I feel that something needs to be done in that deep midfield position. I am certainly not a Wilson basher but I have been concerned about his inconsistency in recent times.
As always, critical analysis and alternative ideas welcomed.

#31 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 17:27

QUOTE (bracknellyid @ Dec 10 2010, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im not digging you out but i couldnt give two f***s about putting Keane in the shop window. Its one of our biggest games of the season so to change our formula just to give him chance to shine and impress his latest boyhood club would be madness.

Is this really such a change in formula? Leaving Crouch aside for the moment, Keane for Pav is like for like and I would argue that the presence of a deep lying CM is a logical solution to our 'clean sheet' problem, which sooner or later is going to cost us dearly. Similarly, Corluka for Hutton is merely a change in emphasis which the presence of Ashley Cole would seem to necessitate.
By the way, I'm no longer a great fan of RK either, but I reckon it could work and it certainly makes more sense than the decision to play him at OT as a lone striker!

#32 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 18:14

The way I see it is.......

- Keane is s***, I don't want him in our team irregardless of formulas etc.

- You want to drop Palacios and shoe horn in a defender into DM which is plain silly,imo. Despite that singular pass against Twente, Palacios had a very good game, and may just be getting some confidence back now, yet you want to drop him when there is scant all other midfielders available, and replace him with a defender. Might as well throw Wilson in a garbage can and set fire to him, because your basically telling him he's dog s***, and your done with him, for no real apparent reason. He's also our most physically strong midfielder, and could be invaluable against a powerful unit like Chelsea. This is Wilsons big chance to find that form he had when he first came, with the other injuries just now. Given he's been improving steadily, why mess with his head ?

- Agree to some degree on Corluka BUT we beat Chelsea last season by attacking them relentlessly and not giving them time to breathe, so we should look to do the same again. Don't think Hutton being in will make much difference. Furthermore, Corluka wasn't exactly great during the week and it would be sending out completely the wrong message to the whole squad, to drop Hutton who is playing well, for someone that hasn't this season. Poor man management, something that Wenger does down the road.

Gomes

Hutton
Gallas
Dawson/Bassong
Ekotto

Lennon
Palacios
Modric
Bale

Defoe
Crouch

for me. Chelsea are sure to be wobbling confidence wise right now, and they will remember WHL from last season. Lets get at them from the start like we did last time, or like against Man City first game of the season.

#33 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 19:42

I agree with GJH that the problems he stated will cost us eventually. And maybe leaving Charlie in isn't such a bad idea as Chelski are strong on that flank.

Wouldn't play Gallas in DM although i do understand that GJH is only trying to find an answer to what has been an un-certain position since Hudd got injured, it's down to Wilson Sandro or Kranky now and i would stick with Wilson out of the choices we have.

Crouch starts for me because **********************censored********************

The only real dilema for me is Dawson or Bassong, and going with my stance when other players have come in and done well i would start Bassong as Daws has yet to play alongside "Mad Willy". I'm aware that daws plays well against Drog so won't be to bothered if he does start

#34 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 20:34

well it looks like we are without VdV and they are without Lampard.

Still, I can't believe people think we are favorites for this game. I think we have a great shot at it, but lets take a quick look at how chelsea will line up:

malouda-drogba-anelka
McEachran-Essien-Ramires
cole-terry-ivanovic-ferreira

pretty scary team still, lets be honest.

matchups that favor us: bale-ferreira

matchups against us: anelka-BAE, malouda-hutton, drogba-anybody, essien-modric, terry/ivanovic-crouch

i hope we play defoe and crouch up top, no VdV means straight up 4-4-2 for me. We will have to play with swashbuckling swagger on the counter and try to get pacy on terry. shouldn't be too difficult if we can catch cole up field. bale should be able to rip ferreira. hopefully ancellotti will leave anelka as the only flank help for him because as we all know, le sulk doesn't do defense.

i think i would go with palacios for this one in the middle. his offensive play is improving bit by bit and his defense is getting better. hes the most fit monster we have in the middle of the park. i would prefer hudd but hes out.

gonna need a monster aerial defense game from gallas and I hope bassong. can't say i would be happy if daws got the start in this game. would prefer to see him get fit against some lesser opposition. bassong is dangerous in the opponents box as well.

defoe-crouch
bale-modders-palacio-lennon
benny-bassong-gallas-hutton
gomes

could see corluka getting picked for this one...his lack of pace would scare me vs malouda though...

#35 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 21:21

QUOTE (EuanW @ Dec 10 2010, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The way I see it is.......
Gomes

Hutton
Gallas
Dawson/Bassong
Ekotto

Lennon
Palacios
Modric
Bale

Defoe
Crouch

for me. Chelsea are sure to be wobbling confidence wise right now, and they will remember WHL from last season. Lets get at them from the start like we did last time, or like against Man City first game of the season.

Agree with everything said here, but I'd make one change and start Defoe and Pav.
I believe Crouch will make a limited impact against the Chelsea defence in the air, but that Terry/Alex/Ivanovic all have limited pace that could be exploited by Defoe's pace and Pav's movement.
We should look to keep the ball on the deck and play through them - that's what we did last year at the Lane and although Pav missed a bunch of chances on the day, we slaughtered them for most of the game and pulled their back line around so much that Terry ended up getting himself sent off. Same again please...

#36 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 23:53

No hold up player up top in your line-up suggests we need to keep possesion of the ball.

No striker that can get on a cross on top of that suggests we are going to walk the ball into their net.

If terry is occupied spaces will appear, draw him out on the counter and stretch him.

#37 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 11 December 2010 - 00:05

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ Dec 10 2010, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No hold up player up top in your line-up suggests we need to keep possesion of the ball.

No striker that can get on a cross on top of that suggests we are going to walk the ball into their net.

If terry is occupied spaces will appear, draw him out on the counter and stretch him.

Sorry PnR, so what are you trying to say? We need Crouch to stretch their defence?

#38 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 11 December 2010 - 00:58

I think crouch will start for the reason that our tactic against chelski will be to attack them on the flanks via our two trump cards lennon and bale. This means alot of crosses and thats where crouch is very useful either knock downs to defoe or gong for goal directly.

Pav is useless in this department could win a header in a brothel!

I also think wiso at DM - he has improved recently and i can see signs of the old wilson again. A game up against essien is a great test.

#39 Guest_dannymc_*

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:45

just go out and play our normal attacking game, spurs 4 v chelski 3 nice1.gif

#40 Guest_Spurious_*

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:46

Re: I'm sorry but I disagree with every single point....

I can't say the same. I disagree with some of your propositions, but the basic principle is sound: we can't hoof the ball up to the big (little) man. Crouchie, I mean.

You're right when you say that we'll only win this game on the ground. Chelsea on top of their game would eat the long ball up, but even in the midst of their supposed implosion, they won't be disturbed by it much. Neither team is going to go all Stoke this Sunday, but we need muscle and guile, not the run and gun stuff that's worked so well for us in the CL games (and against Arse, which is essentially the same thing). Fair, but hard tackles every time they touch the ball. Pressure that will compound the demons they already have in their head.

The chorus from the stands won't hurt, either.

Not sure about Keane, but either Pav or Crouch (two opposites, I realize) would be bullied. So who else do we have? The two midgets (Defoe & Robbie) won't have a physical presence, but they're more slippery and should be able to finish by being sneaky.

That's why we need muscle midfield and at the back. Palacios for sure, regardless of any errant passes. Possibly even Santos to shepherd Luka. Who else do we have that can make them think twice whilst they're working it forward so they can go route one to Drogba?.

We need maximum toughness, and that means mad Willie and Dawson as the spine so they can force the ball up to all the little ones we have in midfield. I actually think Hutton's been alright defensively, and if their wingers are scared about his counterattack, so much the better.

If only we had the Hulk as one of our strikers...

COYS anyway.

BTW, I have two close limey friends here in Canada. One's and Arse fan, the other's Chelski. Whose turn is it this week to hear spurtalk this week?

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users