Planet Spurs Forums: Blackpool P - P Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Blackpool P - P Tottenham Hotspur Sunday 19 December, KO 13:30 GMT, Bloomfield Road

#21 Guest_Stephan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 December 2010 - 17:15

QUOTE (Go Team @ Dec 14 2010, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure if its the world cup or something else but nobody seems to want to win the premiership this season. Luckily we've kept pace and as our injured players come back and we get some january reinforcments we might mount a challenge after xmas.

Man Utd going unbeaten in 16 while not even playing well at times doesn't make them firm favourites in your view?

#22 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 14 December 2010 - 17:17

QUOTE (Stephan @ Dec 14 2010, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he means the English copacabana laugh.gif

Trust me, I've been there and this (English Copacabana) is a contradiction in terms; the place would freak you out!
Anyway, back to the game...a different proposition to last week but it could be tricky. The main thing is to stay focused and professional and avoid complacency. Even if VDV is fit, I'd be tempted to rest him(unless we are struggling) because we don't want him coming back too soon and aggravating the hamstring...this might have been the problem when he got injured. Predictions are almost impossible for Spurs but it sure as h*ll won't be 0-0! rolleyes.gif

#23 Guest_Go Team_*

Posted 14 December 2010 - 22:28

QUOTE (Stephan @ Dec 14 2010, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man Utd going unbeaten in 16 while not even playing well at times doesn't make them firm favourites in your view?

United are favourates. But any other year the leaders would be on more than 34 points after 16 games, and below that. anyone above 30 points in 17 is in the CL places. Its a funny year.

6 points from the next two games and we could easily overtake Chelsea, or at least being in the chase. I was saying we're still in with a chance because the other teams have dropped a lot of points. If we go on a longer run of wins we could be top, or near it.

#24 Guest_obi_*

Posted 15 December 2010 - 13:28

definetly a must win game, and i feel pretty confident that we can do it. maybe even with some style and nice numbers because their attacking play will give us space. really looking forward to sandros performance, I have had great expectations on him since we got him. I think and hope he can overcome palancios place soon and even mount a challenge to Hudd and Luka, even thought for me Luka is untouchable - the best. VdV should not be rushed back, this is why we have been missing him last weeks so we can only hope Harry has learned his lesson, finally. This games importance grows for me because I no longer expect Man City to drop points all the time, they are starting to look serious title challengers. Let's see how much this leatest tevez issue upsets them.

For the title race, i never expected us to be in it. apart from some breaf moments of extacy after a great display. Manu seems strong, but who expected Chelsea to start struggle so much when they were winning and playing good? I think same can happen to Manu, but I don't expect it cos they have strenght in dept also, which is chelseas downfalling. For us I think next half of season we can play better and probably have less injuries, so we can take spot on top4. But we have to keep up with the pace which defenetly means 3points this weekend.

1-4 to SPURS defoe2, Luka, and Dawson form corner

#25 Guest_stoxy1_*

Posted 15 December 2010 - 13:45

this talk of whos gunna win the league, lets not forget traditionally man u turn it on after xmas!!

as for the blackpool game if they come at us and we can stop charlie adam and to an extent luke varney who has impressed imo then we should batter them... hopefully

#26 Guest_bracknellyid_*

Posted 15 December 2010 - 15:24

QUOTE (stoxy1 @ Dec 15 2010, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this talk of whos gunna win the league, lets not forget traditionally man u turn it on after xmas!!

as for the blackpool game if they come at us and we can stop charlie adam and to an extent luke varney who has impressed imo then we should batter them... hopefully

Charlie Adam is out of Sunday's game

Suspended.

#27 User is offline   1940Spursman8 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Interests:obviously spurs-Xbox (Hayjax) music c/western.

Posted 15 December 2010 - 16:19

Before I get to the match I would like to tell you about some statistics I was reading.
We have got one of the biggest squads in the premiership thank god.
If Man;U--Chelsea--Arsenal for instance had had the injuries we have suffered this
season they would have been stuffed specially at the back.ie Alex--Terry--Cole for
Chelsea and the same for the other teams.That is why a big squad has carried us
through so far.Hopefully we may have some of our main injuries coming back slowly.
Now to the game at Blackpool if the weather holds but on Thursday they say snow is
on the way all round the countryside.Anyway it will be a tough game but if VdV is back
I would say a win for us and if we can keep a clean sheet then I would say 3--0 to the
Spurs and my predictions have been fairly good up to now and we have to beat the
teams lower down the league to keep up our climb up the table or we will not get to
the 4th spot let alone win the league.I really want our Spurs to do very well this season.
1940Spursman8...coys/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// /// cheers.gif

#28 Guest_old grey yid_*

Posted 15 December 2010 - 17:17

watching the weather forecast very closely.. its not looking good .. & blackpool dont have undersoil heating!.

the only other time i've been to blackpool to see spurs was probably the coldest i've ever been at a football game!!..at that time they had a big open end which we where all put in!!....think it was around -3 at game time & the wind was so strong that day that if you kicked it into the wind there was a good likelyhood it would come back past you in the other direction..ended up jumping on the pitch & taking cover in a covered stand down the side of the pitch with about 5.000 other spurs fans!!.. we won that day 1-0 grinny.gif

#29 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 15 December 2010 - 17:23

An extra weeks rest would do us the world of good. We'd be closer to having VDV, Kaboul, King, Palacios, Jenas, Kranjcar back, and Defoe and Dawson would be a weeks training sharper.

#30 Guest_stoxy1_*

Posted 15 December 2010 - 17:48

rest assured if the game goes ahead the pundits will be going mad with spurs' apparent inability to win up north, southern softies wont like the cold etc etc... cant be true anymore but youll be sure one of them numpties will come up with it

#31 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 15 December 2010 - 20:52

this is one we really need to win!

the schedule ahead is not particularly inviting. aston villa, newcastle, fulham, everton, newcastle and man united coming up. those are all going to be very tough games no matter how you look at it!

i think this would be a great game to try out defoe and pav up front again, maybe VdV behind defoe with VdV switching to right wing later in the game with a Crouch sub for Lennon, giving Hutton room to run on the wing when the left back is tired out from chasing lennon.

our injury situation at the back is a crisis that is only being covered up by our somewhat decent offense. i thought last year had gotten away from the live by the sword die by the sword mentality but that notion seems to have been thrown out the window.

im sorry guys, but at some point we need to get rid of woody and turn king into a player coach or something seeing as he must stay with the club but not be relied upon to make regular appearances.

#32 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 15 December 2010 - 21:10

I actually really like that run of games, Kevin. There are never really easy runs in the PL, but we have a good chance to come out of the festive period with a bit momentum.

Blackpool away is a good chance to get a win.
Aston Villa have been poor this year, and are also a bit more open under Houllier
Newcastle at home, we should be winning.
Fulham at home, likewise.
Everton away is tricky, but again, they have been poor this season.

We play better against teams that have something about them and a bit of a name, we seem to get up for it more.

I'm gonna check out the runs of the other top teams during the festive period, gimme ten mins...

EDIT

Man City - Everton H, Newcastle A, Villa H, Blackpool H, Arsenal A ( pretty similar, tbh )

Arsenal - Stoke H, Chelsea H, Wigan A, Birmingham H, Man City A ( definitely room for dropping points, including two games against Chelsea/man City which will mean one of them WILL drop points. Lets hope Wigan is a mud patch as well)

Chelsea - Man Utd H, Arsenal A, Bolton H, Villa H, Wolves A. ( same as above, some key matches there)

Man Utd - Chelsea A, Sunderland H, Birmingham A, West Brom A, Stoke H. ( relatively straightforward)

#33 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 15 December 2010 - 21:20

haha yes we seem to be way better against mid table than bottom table clubs. that is f***ed up and something we cannot count on!

villa and newcastle are mercurial to say the least but they also have the potential to f*** us up if we get casual. we need to keep our best sides for the prem unless we plan on winning the CL!

#34 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 15 December 2010 - 21:32

Having now listed and looked at the other teams fixtures, I would say that the festive period is where we must make our move, if we are to be top four this season, or better. We have a real good chance to pick up form and rack some wins up. With VDV due back, Dawson back now, Kaboul as well, Palacios and Jenas not too far behind, Defoe getting sharper etc we should be in better condition in the coming month. We dont have any CL games till February either.

From now, till our FA Cup match in mid January, is a very critical period indeed. We could even maybe come out of this with one to two high quality purchases as well, if we are lucky praying.gif , which could be a massive boost to the team.

REALISTIC PIPE DREAM.

IN - Llorente 25m, Diarra 15m.

POSSIBLE OUTS - Keane 5m, Naughton 2m, one of Bentley/Kranjcar 8-10m, Gio 5-8m.

If we can finance Diarra with our sales, then we defintitely have money tucked away for a big signing. We were haggling with Sevilla around the 20m mark for Fabiano after all.

Pro's - 1. Diarra is unsettled, has previous with Harry 2. Atheltico Bilbao are a selling club and we have been in contact with them for a while now I believe.

Cons - 1. Diarra has been excellent for Madrid past couple of games and might become happy again if he gets more starts 2. Madrid might want Llorente themselves, we will just need to wait and see.

#35 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:44

QUOTE (EuanW @ Dec 15 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Having now listed and looked at the other teams fixtures, I would say that the festive period is where we must make our move, if we are to be top four this season, or better. We have a real good chance to pick up form and rack some wins up. With VDV due back, Dawson back now, Kaboul as well, Palacios and Jenas not too far behind, Defoe getting sharper etc we should be in better condition in the coming month. We dont have any CL games till February either.

From now, till our FA Cup match in mid January, is a very critical period indeed. We could even maybe come out of this with one to two high quality purchases as well, if we are lucky praying.gif , which could be a massive boost to the team.

REALISTIC PIPE DREAM.

IN - Llorente 25m, Diarra 15m.

POSSIBLE OUTS - Keane 5m, Naughton 2m, one of Bentley/Kranjcar 8-10m, Gio 5-8m.

If we can finance Diarra with our sales, then we defintitely have money tucked away for a big signing. We were haggling with Sevilla around the 20m mark for Fabiano after all.

Pro's - 1. Diarra is unsettled, has previous with Harry 2. Atheltico Bilbao are a selling club and we have been in contact with them for a while now I believe.

Cons - 1. Diarra has been excellent for Madrid past couple of games and might become happy again if he gets more starts 2. Madrid might want Llorente themselves, we will just need to wait and see.

Completely agree we have to set the pace in the coming period. We need to start grinding out results and get that absolute gladiator spirit back that we had the last month or so of last season where we were beating big teams (like Chelsea, Man City)left right and centre.

I haven't been a fan of 'Arry's constant bragging of us being "genuine title contenders" although I believe it has rubbed off positively to the players. Now is the time for both 'Arry and the squad to put their football where their mouth is and get results game after game.

Regarding transfers I'm not sure what to expect. Levy has been playing our potential January activity down massively over the last couple of months, both in the press and at the Annual General Meeting. On the other hand there have been quite credible stories doing the rounds of our scouts looking at some seriously talented players. I feel Spurs are trying to set multiple smoke screens (saying activity will be low, looking at average players (Hey Scotty!), 'Arry saying he's quite satisfied with the squad) to increase our chance of doing some good deals in January. Let's hope my feeling is right...

Realistically, I'd say we get 1 mediocre, 1 decent and 1 talented young player in in January. Chances of a big name or "marquee" (who invented this silly term anyway?) signing are not significant I reckon since it's halfway the season and no one "big" will come to the Lane on the cheap when the season is still in full progress.

Back on topic: Blackpool. Still not overly optimistic but looking at our fixture list I hope 'Arry will mark this one as a "pace setter" and will get the lads fired up for it, in sharp contrast to previous displays against lower ranked opposition this season.

#36 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:17

I think the most likely in is Pienaar, only because his contract is up at the end of the year and Everton will want something for him. I can see one of bentley, gio, krankshaft going the other way too.

The only other ones i see as possibles are young guys. There wont be any big names coming in January - it never seems to work that way.

We may offload some, but i dont see keane going unless we sign a striker. PLayers like gio, naughton etc could go and make absolutely no difference, sooner we cash in the better

#37 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:52

I really hope we don't get Pienaar.

#38 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:43

QUOTE (EuanW @ Dec 16 2010, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really hope we don't get Pienaar.

I am not in favour - he is only going to be a back up to lennon. I dont really see how he is a step on say Kranjar or Ohara or Bentley

#39 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:57

The advantages for him are that he's adaptable and will be cheap. If he's happy being back-up/rotation, when Kranjcar isn't, then I can kind of understand bringing him in, and selling Kranjcar. We could even sell Bentley on top of that, and be better off financially, maybe to help spend elsewhere, but still have enough options in midfield. I can't see how Pienaar would be happy with that though, but I may be underestimating how attractive we have become to players right now, with our style of play and attention grabbing exploits in Europe.

To be honest though, I don't really like him and cant be bothered with the prospect at all. We could sell someone off as it is, and still be fine and be on the look out for something properly good that would actually increase our quality.

#40 Guest_bracknellyid_*

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:14

QUOTE (old grey yid @ Dec 15 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
watching the weather forecast very closely.. its not looking good .. & blackpool dont have undersoil heating!.

The under soil heating situation is a disgrace.

Iwas under the impression it was premier league regulations to have under soil heating? Maybe the new stand that was built over the summer had an im pact on finances?

Anyway i agree it looks bad for the game. Im heading up tomorrow lunchtime for a weekend on the beer so it will be a blow if its off on a personal note but it might be a blessing for the squad.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users