Planet Spurs Forums: Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 Newcastle United - Planet Spurs Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 Newcastle United Tuesday 28th December 2010, KO: 15:00, White Hart Lane

#1 Guest_THFC6061_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 27 December 2010 - 00:32

Tottenham Hotspur host Newcastle United in the last Premier League match of 2010 on Tuesday 28th December.

This will be the 145th time the two clubs have met.

The first meeting came in the old second round (today's fourth round) of the FA Cup in February 1905 with Newcastle drawing 1-1 at White Hart Lane before winning the replay at St James' Park 4-0. To date, the clubs have met 9 times in the FA Cup.

The clubs met for the first time in the Football League in November 1909 in the First Division with Newcastle winning 1-0 at St James' Park and completing the 'double' over Spurs with a 4-0 win at White Hart Lane in March 1910.

Tottenham's first win over Newcastle came in a First Division match at White Hart Lane in November 1912 with Jimmy Cantrell scoring the only goal of the match.

There were further meetings in the First Division up to season 1933-34 with honours generally pretty even.

An FA Cup 4th round match in January 1935 was won 2-0 by Spurs at White Hart Lane with George Hunt (Spurs' record goalscorer until Bobby Smith) scoring both goals.

The next 12 meetings between the clubs came in the Second Division of the Football League either side of World War Two from 1935-36 to 1947-48. These dozen matches were the only League games contested between Spurs and Newcastle outside the Top Flight of English Football.

The 1950-51 season saw Spurs win their first Football League Championship and in the process they did the 'double' over Newcastle winning 7-0 at home and 1-0 away. The 70,336 spectators at White Hart Lane for that emphatic 7-0 win were the largest crowd at any Spurs v Newcastle fixture in history.

Spurs beat Newcastle United in the 1952 Charity Shield 2-1 at White Hart Lane with Les Bennett and Peter 'Spud' Murphy scoring the goals which won the silverware.

The first Football League Cup meeting came in the Semi-Finals in January 1976 with John Pratt scoring the winning goal at White Hart Lane in the first leg but Newcastle winning 3-1 at St James' Park despite a Don McAllister goal to advance to the Wembley Final.

Newcastle United, along with West Ham United, were the first clubs to be promoted to the Premier League for the 1993-94 season and Spurs won the first match against Newcastle in the competition 1-0 away at St James' Park with a Teddy Sheringham goal. The Magpies had their revenge at White Hart Lane in December with a 2-1 win.

An FA Cup Semi-Final at Old Trafford in April 1999 was won 2-0 by Newcastle after extra time.

Newcastle lost their Premier League status at the end of the 2008-09 season but won promotion at the first attempt managed by former Spurs player and assistant manager Chris Hughton. Hughton was sacked under contraversial circumstances in December 2010 and Alan Pardew was appointed as Newcastle's new manager.

Tottenham Hotspur have won 60 of the 144 matches played so far with Newcastle United winning 54 and the remaining 30 games drawn.

Full History of Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United Matches 1905-2010
Spurs v Newcastle

They Played for Spurs & Newcastle....

Ossie Ardiles (Spurs player & manager, Newcastle manager)
Sebastien Bassong
Ted Birnie
Garry Brady
Ivor Broadis
Keith Burkinshaw (Spurs manager, Newcastle coach)
Sol Campbell
Stephen Carr
Jesse Carver (Newcastle player, Spurs coach)
Ray Clarke
Les Ferdinand
John Fleming
Ruel Fox
Tony Galvin (Spurs player, Newcastle asst. manager)
Peter Garland
Paul Gascoigne
David Ginola
Bert Gosnell
Chris Hughton (Spurs player & asst. manager, Newcastle manager)
Jim Iley
Jermaine Jenas
John McTavish
Peter McWilliam (Newcastle player, Spurs manager)
Paul Moran
Taffy O'Callaghan
Wayne Routledge
Kevin Scott
Mark Stimpson
Allan Taylor
Archie Turner
Chris Waddle
Jonathan Woodgate
Charlie Woods (Chief scout with both clubs)

#2 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:24

Dude, you need to post this s*** in the match day thread.

#3 Guest_Gladiator_*

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:31

~~ Moved to Match-Day Thread ~~

This is my first spurs game since the Fulham away game, so im looking forward to it.
Should be a very close game

#4 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Gyms out for a while, retired from port chaplaincy, now a person of leisure. for cardio have gone back to running. still love my digi photography.

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:13

THFC6061
I used to post just match day statistics of our forthcoming matches, ie won drawn lost in all comps and that was not really taken in by all, when I was a writer on this site, years ago, I now see what the then admin meant, Mate with all due respect your own work is fine, but all this copy and pasting, to much info mate, Ive had a couple of pms about it, people are not really interested in that much info, no disrespect meant to what you do, but it would be best just to stick to your own views I think.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#5 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:23

would be a good one to win

i think we will see pav up front with vdv (close enough to be playng with 10 men again grinny.gif )

modric, bale, wilson, lennon in midfield looks awesome on paper. I am a bit concerned with modric being able to go for more than about 60 mins. He looked complete shagged 2 days ago. same goes for vdv.

that means jenas and crouch will need to put in a good shift when they are called upon. Therefore it will be vital that we are comfortably in front by the 1 hour mark.

whenever i predict a win - we lose. So i'll predict a draw and hope i'm wrong praying.gif

#6 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Gyms out for a while, retired from port chaplaincy, now a person of leisure. for cardio have gone back to running. still love my digi photography.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:34

OUR NEXT CLEAN SHEET? YES, We will I predict win 2-0, whats the odds Hotspur....?
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#7 Guest_Darren_*

Posted 28 December 2010 - 14:23

Gomes, Hutton, Dawson, Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto, Palacios, Modric, Bale, Lennon, van der Vaart, Pavlyuchenko

#8 Guest_Darren_*

Posted 28 December 2010 - 14:24

Subs-Pletikosa, Bassong, Corluka, Jenas, Kranjcar, Crouch, Keane

#9 Guest_Darren_*

Posted 28 December 2010 - 14:24

Newcastle TEAM
26. Tim Krul
2. Fabricio Coloccini
27. Steven Taylor
14. James Perch
24. Cheik Tiote
7. Joey Barton
10. Wayne Routledge
12. Danny Simpson
17. Alan Smith
18. Jonas Gutierrez
9. Andrew Carroll

SUBS
1. Steve Harper (GK)
6. Mike Williamson
11. Peter Lovenkrands
19. Xisco
20. Leon Best
28. Tamas Kadar
30. Nile Ranger

#10 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 28 December 2010 - 15:00

coys

#11 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 28 December 2010 - 15:24

What a strange kick-off time. Is today another bank holiday in the UK?

#12 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 28 December 2010 - 15:32

QUOTE (Stephan @ Dec 28 2010, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a strange kick-off time. Is today another bank holiday in the UK?

Not a bank holiday, but a lot of people are still off from Christmas.
Man this Newcastle side are s***e to watch, they're like some sort of s***e functional team from the 70s...

#13 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 28 December 2010 - 15:35

Thanks Tommo.

Watching right now. We're looking good. Nice free kick by VDV. Should've thought we would be up after 30 minutes though...

#14 User is offline   cornish spur 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 28 December 2010 - 15:37

Anyone got any links??

#15 Guest_Spurious_*

Posted 28 December 2010 - 15:38

Looks like we've got sufficient muscle at the back to deal with this, and the midfield midgets don't seem to be cowed, but I have a bad feeling Pav doesn't have the salt for this. Looking alright so far, but I'm afraid he'll pull a disappearing act.

#16 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 28 December 2010 - 15:38

QUOTE (cornish spur @ Dec 28 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone got any links??

http://lsh.livescorehunter.com/index.php?o...mp;layout=popup

This one's good quality, but is in a foreign language...

#17 User is offline   cornish spur 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 28 December 2010 - 15:39

Thank you very much!! dancing.gif

#18 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 28 December 2010 - 15:40

Palacious having a howler again it seems. Needless yellow. Shame cause he did well against Villa.

#19 Guest_Spurious_*

Posted 28 December 2010 - 15:43

Is Bale tired? Looked like a perfect opportunity for one of his runs there, but instead he played it in soft to the middle.

#20 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 28 December 2010 - 15:44

QUOTE (Stephan @ Dec 28 2010, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Palacious having a howler again it seems. Needless yellow. Shame cause he did well against Villa.

Howler's too strong, that was unneccessary but it was also a dive.
Carroll's been to Shearer's 'How To Win Free Kicks From Dangerous Areas When You've Barely Been Touched' School methinks...

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users