Planet Spurs Forums: Everton 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Everton 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur Wednesday 5 January 2011, KO 20:00 GMT, Goodison Park

#1 Guest_Stephan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 January 2011 - 00:49

After 3 wins on the spin in the Premier League Spurs will be looking to extent their fine run of form at Goodison Park.

Everton are having a tough time in the Premier League having only won 1 of their last 5 games. Currently sitting in 13th with 22 points they are only 3 points clear of the relegation zone. Their home form this season is not doing Everton any favours either, having only won 2 while having lost 3 and drawn 4.

Spurs will be looking to keep up with the leading pack of 5. Spurs away form this season has been pretty mixed with 4 wins, 3 losses and 2 draws.

Everton will be without Tim Cahill because of Australia's inclusion in the Asia Cup. Defender Johnny Heitinga looks doubtful with a knee injury.

Jermain Defoe is serving his last last game of a 3 match ban while Younes Kaboul is also serving a suspension. Keane is unlikely to be included as he is still recovering from a hamstring injury. Long term abstentees who will be watching on from the stands are Jonathan Woodgate, Ledley King, Jamie O'Hara, Tom Huddlestone and Carlo Cudicini.

#2 Guest_hdhotdog_*

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:06

This is a huge huge game for us. Its one of those teams, that any of the big clubs can slip up against, especially at Goodison. It really does depend what Everton turn up, they have been poor this year, but on their day they are a very good, organised unit who can beat anyone. Its a massive boost to us that Cahill is out.

We should go there with the intention to win but I wouldnt be annoyed with a draw. Arsenal have got City on Wednesday, so it would be good to capitalize on one of them, if not both dropping points.

#3 Guest_THFC6061_*

Posted 02 January 2011 - 14:00

Tottenham Hotspur visit Goodison Park on Wednesday 5th January to face Everton in their first away match of 2011 in the Premier League.

This will be the 167th time the two clubs have met.

The first meeting came in April 1897 in an end of season friendly match at Tottenham Marshes which Spurs won 2-1. Everton were founder-members of the Football League and had just finished 7th in the First Division while Spurs were in the Southern League and had finished 4th.

A further friendly was played at Goodison Park on New Year's Day 1902 which Everton won 3-1.

The clubs' first competitive match came in the old First Round (today's Third Round) of the FA Cup in February 1904 at Goodison Park which Spurs won 2-1 with a Vivian Woodward goal and an own goal from Everton's Balmer.

Both clubs embarked on a central European tour in the summer of 1905 an met twice with Everton winning both matches 2-0 in Vienna and 1-0 in Prague.

A second FA Cup meeting came in January 1908 with Spurs losing 1-0 at Everton.

At the end of that season, both Spurs and Everton set sail for a tour of South America and played two exhibition matches in Palermo, Argentina with the first game drawn 0-0 and Everton winning the second 4-0. On the voyage home, Spurs 'borrowed' the ship captain's parrot who lived happilly for a decade at the Tottenham offices in the High Road until it dropped dead the day news came through that Arsenal had stolen Spurs' First Division place in 1919.

The first Football League meetings came in the First Division in the 1909-10 season with Everton winning 4-2 at Goodison and Spurs winning 3-0 at the Lane.

The clubs then met regularly in the First Division up to season 1927-28 with eight wins for Spurs, ten wins for Everton and eight matches drawn.

The only League meetings between the two clubs outside the Top Flight of English Football came in season 1930-31 in the Second Division with Everton winning 4-2 at Goodison Park and Spurs winning 1-0 at White Hart Lane.

The clubs met for two more seasons in Division One before the outbreak of World War Two with a win apiece and two games drawn.

Spurs won a 3rd Round FA Cup tie 3-0 at home in 1934 and a 5th round tie at home in 1937 4-3 after a 1-1 draw at Goodison Park.

The first meeting after WW2 came in the 5th Round at Goodison Park in February 1950 with Everton winning 1-0.

Spurs regained their First Division status in 1950-51 and did the 'double' over Everton on their way to the first Football League Championship won by Tottenham Hotspur with a 2-1 away win and a 3-0 home win. Everton lost their First Division place that same season along with Sheffield Wednesday, while Chelsea escaped the drop on goal average.

Everton were back in the First Division for the 1954-55 season and the clubs have met in the Top Flight for every subsequent season to date, except for 1977-78 when Spurs dropped down to the Second Division for one season.

Bill Nicholson's first game as Tottenham's manager came at White Hart Lane in October 1958 and Spurs were 6-1 up at half-time and went on to beat Everton 10-4.

A League game at White Hart Lane in December 1969 was abandoned due to floodlight failure after 29 minutes.

The two clubs met in February and March of 1986 in a competition called the Screen Sport Super Cup, which was introduced to give teams who would have qualified for the European competitions some compensation, as English clubs were banned from Europe. The first match at White Hart Lane ended goalless while Everton won the return leg 3-1.

The only Football League Cup meeting between the clubs came in the Fourth Round in October 2009 with Spurs winning 2-0 at the Lane with goals from Tom Huddlestone and Robbie Keane.

Both Tottenham Hotspur and Everton were founder-members of the Premier League and are two of the seven clubs who have been ever-present for the entire 19-season of the competition, along with Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United.

Spurs have taken more points off Everton in the Premier League than from any other opponent. The 68 points won by Spurs against Everton in the 37 matches played to date gives an average of 1.84 points won per game.

The meeting earlier this season at White Hart Lane in October 2010 resulted in a 1-1 draw with Rafael van der Vaart equalising for Spurs after Everton's Leighton Baines had scored with a 17th minute free-kick.

Overall, Spurs have won 60 of the 166 matches played so far with Everton winning 56 and 50 matches drawn.

Full History of Tottenham Hotspur v Everton Matches 1897-2011

Spurs v Everton

They Played for Spurs & Everton....

Jamie Attwell
John Barlow
Nick Barmby
John Brearley
Frank Brettell (Everton player, Spurs manager)
Charlie Brown
Bob Cain
John Cameron (also Spurs manager)
Simon Davies
Anthony Gardner
Paul Gascoigne
David Ginola
Richard Gough
Charlie O'Hagan
Ted Hughes
Pat Jennings
Steve Kelly
John Kirwan
Gary Lineker
Bobby Mimms
Charlie Morgan
Robert Pilch
Vinny Samways
Pat Van den Hauwe
John Watson
Alex Young

#4 Guest_CO_Spurs_*

Posted 02 January 2011 - 15:05

QUOTE (hdhotdog @ Jan 1 2011, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a huge huge game for us. Its one of those teams, that any of the big clubs can slip up against, especially at Goodison. It really does depend what Everton turn up, they have been poor this year, but on their day they are a very good, organised unit who can beat anyone. Its a massive boost to us that Cahill is out.

We should go there with the intention to win but I wouldnt be annoyed with a draw. Arsenal have got City on Wednesday, so it would be good to capitalize on one of them, if not both dropping points.

Copy paste...couldn't have said it better myself! Clapping.gif

#5 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 02 January 2011 - 15:47

we both have injury probs but they do not seem to be so upbeat and hungry as we do, so for those reasons plus our recent run of nine points out of nine over the holiday period, i take us to keep our third consecutive clean sheet by winning 1-0, failing that we will win 2-1. Going to go for those two forecasts in bookies.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#6 User is offline   1940Spursman8 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:obviously spurs-Xbox (Hayjax) music c/western.

Posted 02 January 2011 - 16:08

|This is a massive game for us and a game we desperately need to win and with
Chealsea drawing today gives us a couple of points ahead of Chelsea and we need
to widen the gap between us.I know the team are playing a lot of games at this time
but the guys are turning up and are still hungry to win these games.It is a bonus that
Cahill is missing for Everton on Wednesday.The Spurs are really marching on this
season and I hope we continue to do so I am so proud of our players and our manager.
Now people must realise how much we need to keep Harry as our manager as he is
2nd to none and he is the best.I have Spurs blood running through my veins,,,,,,,,,,
1940Spursman8...coys/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// //////////

#7 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:44

everton pull out their best form for the top teams. They beat city and liverpool, drew with man and chelsea (at the bridge) and drew with with us at the lane. Thats not the form of a team sitting near the foot of the table.

I guess it shows when they turn up they are a real handful. If they show up for this i expect to lose. We looked pretty drained against fulham especially in midfield.

If we show up, we should get at least a point. Either way there wont be much in it.

BUT a massive massive one to win before facing the manc bastards

#8 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2011 - 14:15

With Arsenal playing City this could be a fantastic chance for us to get even closer to the top. One or both of them are going to drop points so if we can get 3 points we will really be in a great position.

This match though is not going to be easy, but will be less hard with Cahill missing out. We have won the last 2 matches whilst not being at our best, so lets see if we can put in a great perfomance and make it 4 wins on the bounce.

#9 User is offline   journeyman 

• Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 14:17

excellent chance for us to close the gap as you say with city and Ars at each others throats, so we have to win, fear not WE WILL.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#10 Guest_THFC6061_*

Posted 03 January 2011 - 20:04

Mark Lawrenson's Prediction for Everton v Tottenham Hotspur

Everton struggle to score goals and this will only be exacerbated by Tim Cahill leaving to play for Australia in the Asia Cup.

But the Toffees will make it difficult for Spurs, denying space to wide players Aaron Lennon and Gareth Bale.

Tottenham are on a great run and have excellent attacking options, but you can still get at them and create chances.

I think it will be a really intimidating atmosphere at Goodison and it will be one of Spurs' toughest games.

Prediction: Everton 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur

Mark Lawrenson's 2010-11 Premier League Predictions together with how the League Table would look like if he was correct...

Lawrenson's 2010-11 Predictions

#11 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 03 January 2011 - 20:23

Anyone questioning whether or not Lawrenson is indeed biassed should note that he has predicted Liverpool to have accumulated 49 points DOUBLE their actual 25 point total. LOL indeed, given that they have been s*** all season.... Does he just keep blindly picking them to win, hoping/dreaming more than anything ?

#12 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 03 January 2011 - 20:33

QUOTE (EuanW @ Jan 3 2011, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone questioning whether or not Lawrenson is indeed biassed should note that he has predicted Liverpool to have accumulated 49 points DOUBLE their actual 25 point total. LOL indeed, given that they have been s*** all season.... Does he just keep blindly picking them to win, hoping/dreaming more than anything ?

Yep, all Spurs fans know he's a w***er...

#13 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 03 January 2011 - 21:15

He must be the worst pundit on Match of the Day. Hansen makes a valid point from time to time but the only thing Lawro does is moan about Liverpool's poor performances and say City "are not quite there" and talks over analysis reels that have been made by the program's directors.

#14 Guest_THFC6061_*

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:53

Without wishing to tempt fate in any way, were Spurs to manage a win on Wednesday night at Everton, it would put us one point ahead of our total after 21 matches last season.

Bearing in mind we've been without our three first choice central defenders for much of the season, the extra pressure of squeezing-in an additional eight UEFA Champions League matches and the fact that most of the top clubs have all dropped points this season, I think that's a quite remarkable record.

Spurs Premier League Points 1992-2011

#15 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:32

he couldnt predict anything even it happened the day before hed get it wrong.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#16 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 04 January 2011 - 14:01

I'm no fan of Lawrenson either...in fact, I'm not partricularly impressed with any of the so-called pundits; they are just like us...footy fans who have some idea of the basics of the game, but just a bit better at playing it! I never feel after watching MOTD that I have learnt anything about Spurs that I didn't already know and no doubt the same applies to you all. Having said that, I would go along with L's comments and predictions on this one. I have a grudging respect for Everton; they have a healthy disrespect for the so-called big four and always make things difficult for them. Since we are now knocking on that door, I'm sure they will raise their game accordingly.
The thing about Everton is that their whole is greater than the sum of their parts; no big names stand out so it's not a case of 'shut out X and we should be ok'. Obviously Cahill's absence is a bonus because he is a decent player and Arteta's midfield creativity must be curtailed, but the important thing is to match them for effort and desire. Keep it tight and avoid silly mistakes. Last season their progress was undermined by chronic injuries and I don't feel their current league position is a true reflection of their capabilities...I'd take a point now, it would keep the momentum ticking over!

#17 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 15:06

I'm a little more optimistic!!

Winning breeds confidence and as a team we should now have bags of it!! We have developed a winning mentality and should have enough to beat Everton!! Furthermore, since the return of Dawson we look better in defense, plus Everton have little up front these days!!

I will go for a 2-1 maybe even 2-0 win!!!

COYS!!!!!!!

#18 Guest_Go Team_*

Posted 04 January 2011 - 16:04

QUOTE (special yid @ Jan 4 2011, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a little more optimistic!!

Winning breeds confidence and as a team we should now have bags of it!! We have developed a winning mentality and should have enough to beat Everton!! Furthermore, since the return of Dawson we look better in defense, plus Everton have little up front these days!!

I will go for a 2-1 maybe even 2-0 win!!!

COYS!!!!!!!

I'm worried we might be getting a bit tired... and everton do up their game against the better teams. BUT ...with Dawson back and no Cahil I can see us keeping another clean sheet.... and I think we'll score at least one. I say 1-0 to us if not an uncharacteristic nil all!

#19 Guest_old grey yid_*

Posted 04 January 2011 - 18:28

jagielka out as well, heitiger & coleman both very doubtful.

#20 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 18:48

Coleman is another fantastic talent at Everton that they will miss if he is not fit. Been really impressed with the lad this and last season. Everton have always been one of those teams that rely heavily on the first 11 and when they start to pick up injuries are a very different team. Hopefully we can exploit this as 3 points could be so vital.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users