Planet Spurs Forums: Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 Manchester United - Planet Spurs Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 Manchester United Sunday 16 January, KO: 16:10 GMT, White Hart Lane

#1 Guest_Stephan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 13:14

This is the big one. We need points, Man Utd are unbeaten all season. Are we going to show we definitely roll with the top boys nowadays?

Man Utd are unbeaten all season in the Premier League and have won 4 out of their last 5 games. The last game they didn't get the full 3 points was away at Birmingham City.

Spurs will be looking to bounce back after their away defeat at Everton. However, Spurs still won 3 out of their last 5 games.

Rooney looks doubtful for Man Utd after he picked up a knock against West Brom. He was expected to be featured in Man Utd's FA Cup clash with Liverpool, but didn't. Van der Sar is also doubtful due to illness. Vidic is returning from injury and is expected to start.

Spurs will be boosted by the return of Younes Kaboul after a 3 match ban. Gareth Bale is expected to return after he was subbed off at Everton due to a minor back spasm. Aside from long term absentees King, Woodgate, O'Hara and Huddlestone the rest of the squad looks fit and ready to face Man Utd.

#2 Guest_Raj_*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 16:32

This would be a great time to sort out our utter s***ty record against them. Just hope it's not another close match decided by some controversial goal.

#3 Guest_simsima_*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 17:52

Skysports says Ferguson is hoping Rooney will be back.
Either way, they will be dangerous.

United have not been playing that great, and scraping results.
But knowing us, we will bottle it again!! Headbanger.gif

#4 User is offline   1940Spursman8 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Interests:obviously spurs-Xbox (Hayjax) music c/western.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 19:10

This is one of the biggest matches of the season.Number 1 we are at home and playing well.
Number 2.Manure are not playing well but their players are diving eg;Berbatov the other day.
Number.3.A lot depends on what referee we get.If we get a fair referee that is not frightened
of old rednose then we might have a decent game and with the players we have we
certainly have the power to overcome Manure.I read that Bale will be back and with Modric-
VdV--DeFoe scoring 2 on Sunday getting back to putting the ball in the back of the net.
I really believe the lads will be up for this game and being at home will give them some
confidence plus we need the points to climb up the table and they will not want to lose to
Manure.I really fancy us winning this game but it might be 1--0 or at the most 2--0 and I
have not been too bad with my predictions so far this season so COME ON YOU SPURS;;;;;;;
1940Spursman8...coys////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// ///////////// cheers.gif crest.gif

#5 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 20:08

I don't think we will get anything out of this game, our defence isn't good enough to keep them out.

We always get a w***er for a ref against them home or away.

#6 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 20:54

If we get Clattenburg or Webb we're definitely f***ed before the first whistle....

#7 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 21:08

Every year a mixture of our form, the media talking us up and my own optimism makes me think we can win this fixture, and it never happens...
So, I'll predict a 2-1 loss and hope it changes the cycle - plus as others have already pointed out, some shoddy refereeing decisions will probably have a major influence.
It's no surprise to me that Man U almost always win the title, even 'without even playing well' as the press say in a mystified manner.
Give any team in the top five the cynical reffing 15-20 points bonus a season and it'd be pretty difficult to fail to do so!

#8 Guest_Raj_*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 21:36

QUOTE (Tommospur @ Jan 10 2011, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every year a mixture of our form, the media talking us up and my own optimism makes me think we can win this fixture, and it never happens...
So, I'll predict a 2-1 loss and hope it changes the cycle - plus as others have already pointed out, some shoddy refereeing decisions will probably have a major influence.

same

id like for this s***ty record to be fixed out of the blue like the chelsea game a few seasons ago, but just cant see it happening.

#9 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:30

this is our season defining game IMO.

If we win - we will be the only team to have beaten man u, and suddenly all the b******s about us being title chances will be flying around.

If we lose - then the title race will be considered over and we will be talking about finishing fourth with one eye on chelsea, sunderland and liverpool.

The game will be decided in our players heads. If we play like it is a champions league home tie we can definately win. If we play like we expect to get screwed over agin we will lose for sure.

#10 Guest_THFC6061_*

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:25

Tottenham Hotspur host current Premier League leaders Manchester United at White Hart Lane on Sunday 16th January 2011.

It will be the 179th meeting between the two clubs who were the "glamour teams" of the 1960s.

Tottenham Hotspur's first meeting with Manchester United came in the old 1st round (today's 3rd round) of the FA Cup in January 1899 when United were known as Newton Heath. The match was drawn 1-1 at Northumberland Park, but Spurs won the replay 5-3 at Bank Street in Clayton, Manchester.

A decade later the two clubs met for the first time in a Football League match with United drawing 2-2 at White Hart Lane in the First Division.

The reverse fixture at Old Trafford was easilly won by United 5-0.

Tottenham's first League win over United came in November 1911 2-1 at Old Trafford.

Both clubs met for four seasons in the Second Division during the 1930s.

Since the start of football after WW2, all League meetings have taken place in the Top Flight of the English League system.

In 1952, both clubs toured North America and played two exhibition matches with Spurs winning 5-0 in Toronto, Canada and 7-1 in New York, USA.

The clubs were drawn together in the 1963-64 European Cup Winners' Cup with Spurs winning 2-0 at the Lane and United winning 4-1 at Old Trafford.

Old Trafford was the venue for the 1967 FA Charity Shield with League Champions United and FA Cup Winners Spurs drawing 3-3 in a game most remembered for goalkeeper Pat Jennings' long-range goal. The Charity Shield was shared.

August 1979 saw the clubs meet for the first time in the Football League Cup and Glenn Hoddle's magnificent volly was the winning goal in a 2-1 Spurs victory at White Hart Lane. United went on to win the second leg at Old Trafford 3-1.

In June 1983, the clubs played two matches in Swaziland, Southern Africa, resulting in a win each.

The clubs have only ever met in one Domestic Cup Final - the 2009 Football League (Carling) Cup Final at Wembley, which ended in a 0-0 draw after extra time. United won the subsequent penalty shoot-out.

Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur were founder members of the Premier League in 1992-93 and are two of the seven clubs who have been ever-present up to the 2010-11 season - Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Everton and Liverpool being the other five.

The previous 18 seasons have seen United dominate Spurs with 26 wins to Tottenham's 3 with a further 7 matches drawn.

The reverse fixture at Old Trafford in October 2010 saw United win 2-0 with goals from Nemanja Vidic and Luis Nani in contraversial circumstances for their 27th Premier League win over Spurs.

2010-11 was the first season when both Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur competed together in the UEFA Champions League. Both clubs won their respective Group Stage and progressed to the Round of 16. Spurs will meet Italians AC Milan while Manchester United have been drawn against France's Marseille.

Overall, United have a very good record over Spurs with 84 wins to 49 with 45 matches drawn...

Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United Complete Match History 1899 to 2011

Spurs v Manchester United 1899-2011

They Played for Spurs & United....

Jamie Attwell
David Beckham (United player, Spurs trainee)
Dimitar Berbatov
Bill Berry
Alan Brazil
Jimmy Brown
Fraizer Campbell
Michael Carrick
Garth Crooks
Harry Erentz
Quinton Fortune
Terry Gibson
Tommy Gipps
Greoge Graham (United player, Spurs manager)
Jack Hall
Stewart Houston (United player, Spurs asst. manager)
David Gwilan Jones
Joe Jordan (United player, Spurs coach)
Cyril Knowles
Chris McGrath
James McNaught
Fred Milnes
Teddy Sheringham

#11 Guest_obi_*

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:46

we have the best chance in my memory to win them, atleats at the moment i feel so. Only we would have tom huddlestone with us. even with out him the form of Luka and Vdv + defoe return makes me confident. also since dawson has come back our defence has been more solid, in five games 3clean sheet to previous 1. big quostion mark for me is modrics partner in midfield. We really need to get the best performance of wilson or jj to get anything out of this one. I would prefer wilson. a part of me wants to see sandro in this one, but it's not sensible to put him in this match. unless harry has great confidence in him which he has been hiding for some wierd reason...well offcourse we are underdogs againts them, but one can always hope

#12 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:56

We will certainly be up for this one and on our current form I dont see why we cant beat them, ,United have had a few lucky escapes of late by just scrapping through, usually with the help of the ref, i predict 1-1, but if we are going to win it will be 2-1.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#13 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:27

Pretty much same feelings as everyone on here, I always go into this match believing we can win and then Michael Carrick dives and Man U come back to win, Nani scores from what shouldve been our free kick, Pedro Mendes scores from the halfway line but the refs don't see it, etc etc.

The thing is, our players always seem to play well against Man United but too many dodgy decisions prevent us from winning. It might sound petty but its the truth.

During the game no doubt Ill have the usual feelings of 'we can win this' and I would be the happiest man on earth if we did but right now im fairly pessimistic about this match.

#14 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 11 January 2011 - 13:07

Only thing I can say is play to the whistle lads!

#15 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 11 January 2011 - 16:53

QUOTE (ChrisBentley @ Jan 11 2011, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty much same feelings as everyone on here, I always go into this match believing we can win and then Michael Carrick dives and Man U come back to win, Nani scores from what shouldve been our free kick, Pedro Mendes scores from the halfway line but the refs don't see it, etc etc.

The thing is, our players always seem to play well against Man United but too many dodgy decisions prevent us from winning. It might sound petty but its the truth.

During the game no doubt Ill have the usual feelings of 'we can win this' and I would be the happiest man on earth if we did but right now im fairly pessimistic about this match.

More than any other game, this one raises the importance of belief. We can moan all we want about rubbish decisions...for example, the penalty in 2009...but the fact is that we folded like a paper cup on that occasion as we have done on others (3-5 in 2003) when up against these bast*rds. It is no good giving the 'We can beat anybody' soundbites to the media, if the old ' Oh s***, it's United' attitude kicks in as soon as a setback occurs. Hopefully, our recent successes against Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool may help in this respect.
Ferguson will probably expect Spurs to come out all guns blazing and look to hit us on the counter. I hope 'Arry considers this and either adopts a more patient approach or, failing that, plays someone in a proper defensive midfield position to deal with this possibility. Nani is the danger, in my opinion, BAE must concentrate at all times. Hopefully, VDV will recover from his current illness...his presence is crucial. Crouch on after about 70mins as a plan B, if necessary. Not confident and I would take a draw...this would put us fifth, at worst, a mere point behind the team above, should Chelsea win, with another tough game out of the way.
COYS!

#16 Guest_Raj_*

Posted 11 January 2011 - 17:03

Agree with aussispurs, if we lose then our little title challenge is over and it's all about top 4. Just hope Spurs attack with the confidence and self-belief which they too often only show against big teams when theyre already behind or when its too late.

Also just watched man utd liverpool highlights, berbatov has become a diving c*** now i see.

#17 Guest_To Dare Is To Do_*

Posted 11 January 2011 - 21:35

Team news from SAF: at his presser today he said that if Rooney doesn't recover from his injury then he'll continue with Berbatov and Howard Webb upfront at the weekend...

#18 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 11 January 2011 - 22:53

QUOTE (To Dare Is To Do @ Jan 11 2011, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Team news from SAF: at his presser today he said that if Rooney doesn't recover from his injury then he'll continue with Berbatov and Howard Webb upfront at the weekend...

Thats only their second strongest attack though, behind Howard Webb playing in the hole, with 'own goal' up top doing the damage !

Thank god own goal doesn't look like making the game this weekend.

#19 Guest_dannymc_*

Posted 12 January 2011 - 00:16

confident we will be the 1st team to beat them this season,unless webb or clattenburg is ref,2-1 put your mortgages on it ! cheers.gif cheers.gif crest.gif

#20 Guest_thfcalan_*

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:53

For 36 fixtures of the season i actually quite like Man U, the other 2 against Spurs i dread, usually we play quite well during these games but its the same old story vs this mob. Hopefully it can be an historic win for the boys and really spur us on to push for the title (not that i expect us to win in any case) and set some ground work for seasons to come. Like many have said this is a HUGE game for us, i just want to finnsh above Le Arse sooooo bad and getting 3 points on Sunday will go along way towards that!

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users