Planet Spurs Forums: Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 Manchester United - Planet Spurs Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 Manchester United Sunday 16 January, KO: 16:10 GMT, White Hart Lane

#181 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 16:33

QUOTE (aussispurs @ Jan 16 2011, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well that was the livliest 0-0 draw i have seen since we played their mancunian cousins.

I have to say reading thru the posts that i disagree with the abuse aimed at the ref. I actually thought he was very good, if anything we got the rub of the green from him which is very rare against man utd.

Also as hdhotdog said the abuse of crouch is misguided as well. I was in favour of defoe starting but the game plan of using the flanks with a target man up front and VDV alongside was reasonable and for the most part we were the better side.

Other than that i thought BAE, Palacios and Dawson and Gallas were all excellent. Apart form a couple of rushes of blood it was the wilson of old.

Modric was sensational and our MOM.

Bale was great.

VDV was a bit too quiet and really should have scored when he curled his shot over.

Lennon was patchy i thought.

BUT MOM was Vidic - what a player. He single handedly kept us out for 90 mins.

Overall we were the better side and needed to win that game, but couldnt aaginst another team that parked the bus. Maybe we should consider buying a striker in this window. Just a thought!

I agree with a lot of the points made but your opinion of Vidic is the very reason why Crouch should not have started. It is well known that Vidic is a class act and he was always going to have the better of Crouch. Although he is very tall, Crouch is not well-built and he is often out-muscled by a smaller, stronger centre back. Furthermore, Crouch's movement off the ball is cumbersome; not from him will you get the drop shoulder or quick burst of pace which might gain that crucial half yard of space for a shot on goal. I didn't see the first half, owing to work commitments, but I couldn't believe that 'Arry had started with the big man in preference to Defoe. Vidic and Ferdinand are not slow but Defoe would have posed them more problems than Crouch did, that's for sure.
I don't think we can be too disappointed with a draw, as I said earlier, this result still keeps us in touch and another difficult game is out of the way (Chelsea still have to play MU twice this season, I think) but a nagging feeling persists that this was a missed opportunity, especially given the sending off.
On another note, if referees want respect then they have to earn it; I'm not referring to Dean's overall performance, but to his failure to give Rooney his marching orders when he called him a 'f**king wan**r'
late in the second half. What a loathsome specimen!

#182 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 17 January 2011 - 18:02

QUOTE (Tommospur @ Jan 16 2011, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*click*

Couldn't resist laugh.gif

Comment is awaiting moderation. Let's just wait and see if they are "True Red" and apply the kind of Communist censorship their comrades would be proud of! lmao.gif

January 17, 2011 at 18:01
Willy who's calling u a Wonka says:

What a whinging bunch of Wengers on here. He should’ve been off for that first challenge on Palacios. If Rafael worn a Stoke or Birmingham shirt no doubt he would’ve got a red!

And tell Old Red Nose to sit down when away from home! It’s too obvious he needs to influence the ref when they’re not playing at home!

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

#183 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 18 January 2011 - 00:05

QUOTE (To Dare Is To Do @ Jan 17 2011, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Couldn't agree more about the ref. I guess a Spurs forum isn't the place to expect objectivity, but I was surprised to read through these posts after the game and see so many complaints. I believe that he whistled roughly twice as many fouls against ManU as he did against us, which I think was about right.

im not sure its entirely fair to judge the comments at once or in summary. we can easily have been too hard on the ref in totality, yet right to be aggrieved about particular decisions at a particular time in the game. if rafael hadn't have gone off for the clip on benny, i feel that the ref would have been judged completely different.

Also agree on BAE. He was fantastic. Nani would probably be considered United's danger man this year, and he was a non-factor. BAE also played in a few dangerous balls.

definitely agree. i thought benny was extremely good on the day, a few difficult moments to be sure, but he produced some moments of defensive brilliance as well. i think he can be proud of his game. he also produced one of the best crosses of the game towards the very end (from the top of the box on the left wing, inswinger with the right foot). once again, nobody on our team can finish those types of danger balls. meh.

The real problem was our failure to cause them any problems with the many corners/dangerous free kicks we had. Once again we weren't good enough on those. And the three best chances we had (vdV's header, vdV's curler, and Crouch's near post run on the low cross) all missed the target.

our set pieces are extremely poor. we really look like we have no idea what is going on. we are totally guessing on our runs. if we are going to be a team that looks to play with skill rather than brute force, we need to be much more dangerous from free kicks and corners. it will give us a lot more space on the outside of the box and on the wing.

we were really gutsy though and had utd rocking back on their heels. i was proud of our attacking intent to the end even if it didn't pay off. we earned a lot of respect from those that watched and know how the game went.

#184 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:52

Overall I am a little dissapointed still, but it does show how far we have come!! We total;ly bossed that game, even before they went doen to 10 men, it seemed they were settling for the draw!!

Harry has to learn, no Crouch for these games, its obvious we need a quality finisher this window!!

COYS!! Much to do, starting at Newcastle!!

#185 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:29

QUOTE (special yid @ Jan 18 2011, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Overall I am a little dissapointed still, but it does show how far we have come!! We total;ly bossed that game, even before they went doen to 10 men, it seemed they were settling for the draw!!

Harry has to learn, no Crouch for these games, its obvious we need a quality finisher this window!!

COYS!! Much to do, starting at Newcastle!!

The Mancs do have a point that the "shows how far we've come" b******s is getting out of hand. Everybody can beat everybody on the day and Man U were there for the taking last Sunday. The fact we couldn't win from a side down to 10 men, although only for the last 18 minutes or so, still proves our lack of prolific finishing. We totally battered them 1st half and should've been up at half time really. They had some half chances but never really got into gear. If Crouch just slid in that ball we would've got the full 3 points. They would have had to go for it, leaving space for us to counter in the 2nd half. Unfortunately this wasn't the case.

#186 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 18 January 2011 - 14:56

QUOTE (Stephan @ Jan 18 2011, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Mancs do have a point that the "shows how far we've come" b******s is getting out of hand. Everybody can beat everybody on the day and Man U were there for the taking last Sunday. The fact we couldn't win from a side down to 10 men, although only for the last 18 minutes or so, still proves our lack of prolific finishing. We totally battered them 1st half and should've been up at half time really. They had some half chances but never really got into gear. If Crouch just slid in that ball we would've got the full 3 points. They would have had to go for it, leaving space for us to counter in the 2nd half. Unfortunately this wasn't the case.

Yes, because we always see a game out once we get our noses in front. And its always Crouchies fault if we don't score.

Its all" ifs and buts", if Defoe had started we would have scored goals, he would have occupied Utd's CB's far better than Crouch did - can anyone guarantee that he would have?

If you take out VDV and Bale, the rest of our players struggle to score goals, and that includes Modric, Lennon and Defoe.

I have seen Utd TERRORIZE us on many occassions and that did not happen in either game this season, and that is a big turn around, as it is becoming a habit against what used to be the big 4.

Well done Spurs (including Crouch)

#187 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 18 January 2011 - 20:49

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ Jan 18 2011, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, because we always see a game out once we get our noses in front. And its always Crouchies fault if we don't score.

Its all" ifs and buts", if Defoe had started we would have scored goals, he would have occupied Utd's CB's far better than Crouch did - can anyone guarantee that he would have?

If you take out VDV and Bale, the rest of our players struggle to score goals, and that includes Modric, Lennon and Defoe.

I have seen Utd TERRORIZE us on many occassions and that did not happen in either game this season, and that is a big turn around, as it is becoming a habit against what used to be the big 4.

Well done Spurs (including Crouch)

well said. i have to be quite honest, it's not as if defoe is especially prolific anyways, certainly no guarantee that he would score goals instead of crouch, especially as a lone striker in our tiny midfield against the standard prem defense.

crouch certainly is useful, however with our desire to get all of our assets together on the pitch at the same time, it would seem that he is the odd man out. if these new fabiano rumors have any merit, we would be stupid not to seriously consider it.

crouch seems to score in cl with more regularity than the prem and i think its down to the less physical reffing more than anything else. though cl tied, fabiano would be great doing a league role for us.

we just seem to be missing that glint of true world class quality up top. we would have taken uniteds scalp for sure if we had it.

everything else went to plan as far as i could see.

#188 Guest_aramak_*

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:32

it's the first time in over 15 years that I felt we were an equal match to ManU and looked as though we could beat them fair and square, what we lack is what any genuine top 4 team has. A world class striker and till thats sorted we'll fall short.

#189 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:07

Rooney
Drogba
Van Persie
Anelka
Adebayor
Balotelli
Torres
Owen
Chamakh
Bendtner
Defoe
Crouch
Pavlyuchenko

All strikers at clubs who think they can be top 4. Put that lot of mis-firing strikers against the ones scoring.

Tevez
Berbatov
And possibly little pea at Utd

I can fully understand the difficulty we are having finding a goal scorer.

#190 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 19 January 2011 - 13:38

The fact Rooney is still considered a top striker in England continues to baffle me. Had a good run last season but he's such an average player. I guess it's the patriotism that makes blind in Rooney's case.

#191 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 19 January 2011 - 14:51

QUOTE (Stephan @ Jan 19 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fact Rooney is still considered a top striker in England continues to baffle me. Had a good run last season but he's such an average player. I guess it's the patriotism that makes blind in Rooney's case.

I disagree on this, he's lost his way for sure and his lifestyle/way of playing means his career won't be a long one, but he was f***ing outstanding last year until he got his ankle-knack against Bayern away - don't think he's recovered since tbh and has it all wrong mentally just now.
May I remind you that he more or less single-handedly took our entire defence apart and won them the game at The Lane last season after Scholes had got his customary red card early on?
We were in great form until that game and that performance must've been one of the best individual showings all season.

#192 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 19 January 2011 - 15:35

QUOTE (Stephan @ Jan 19 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One question, Rooney or suarez?, or any other Carlos kicka-ball from across europe.

#193 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 19 January 2011 - 15:37

QUOTE (Tommospur @ Jan 19 2011, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree on this, he's lost his way for sure and his lifestyle/way of playing means his career won't be a long one, but he was f***ing outstanding last year until he got his ankle-knack against Bayern away - don't think he's recovered since tbh and has it all wrong mentally just now.
May I remind you that he more or less single-handedly took our entire defence apart and won them the game at The Lane last season after Scholes had got his customary red card early on?
We were in great form until that game and that performance must've been one of the best individual showings all season.

agree. i'd take him in a heartbeat over any other striker we have!

rooney has lost his way since the munich game, the bust up with ferguson, the strange transfer antics and contract signing and the cheating on his wife thing. still has incredible assets, just woefully out of shape mentally...

#194 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 19 January 2011 - 15:53

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ Jan 19 2011, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One question, Rooney or suarez?, or any other Carlos kicka-ball from across europe.

We'll see. I bet Suarez will score before Rooney in Europe this season. Of course you can argue Europa League vs. Champions League. But the tone of your reply doesn't give me the illusion I could change your mind of Rooney anyway.

#195 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 19 January 2011 - 16:32

QUOTE (Tommospur @ Jan 19 2011, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whilst I agree with what you say above, I think that any assessment of Rooney as a striker has also got to take into account his performances at International level. After a promising start, he hasn't really made any lasting impression to date which must surely undermine his CV? Having said that, he's much better than any of our forwards, although I wouldn't want to see him in a Spurs shirt.

#196 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 19 January 2011 - 17:44

QUOTE (GJHSpurs @ Jan 19 2011, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whilst I agree with what you say above, I think that any assessment of Rooney as a striker has also got to take into account his performances at International level. After a promising start, he hasn't really made any lasting impression to date which must surely undermine his CV? Having said that, he's much better than any of our forwards, although I wouldn't want to see him in a Spurs shirt.

I didn't say I want him at Spurs, just don't agree that he's not a class act on the pitch.
As an individual his personality and attitude stinks, and we could never afford his transfer value/wages anyway so that it's out of the question, but he is undoubtably a quality striker who is out of form and I believe he has been injured since last season until maybe even now.

#197 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 19 January 2011 - 18:47

QUOTE (Stephan @ Jan 19 2011, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We'll see. I bet Suarez will score before Rooney in Europe this season. Of course you can argue Europa League vs. Champions League. But the tone of your reply doesn't give me the illusion I could change your mind of Rooney anyway.

Would you also put Torres in the same boat as Rooney?

And do you think Rooney is poor as the lone striker in a 4-5-1?

My opinion of Suarez was confirmed by your posts of him some time back, but you seem to have made an about turn on his abillity and value.

#198 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 19 January 2011 - 19:19

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ Jan 19 2011, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would you also put Torres in the same boat as Rooney?

And do you think Rooney is poor as the lone striker in a 4-5-1?

My opinion of Suarez was confirmed by your posts of him some time back, but you seem to have made an about turn on his abillity and value.

Torres has proven his ability in La Liga, international youth tournaments, European club football, Euro 2008 and to less extent World Cup 2010. He even scored the winner in the Euro 2008 final.

Rooney only had two good seasons in the Premier League and won the Champions League by penalty shoot out. In international tournaments he never impressed and he has never played in a league outside of his home country.

I haven't made a u-turn on Suarez. I still think he's not the right man for us. The point I was making is that in current form Suarez is better than the poor little Mancunian Rooney that you so endlessly defend.

Each his own opinion, but I think it's hard to deny the fact Torres has been more decisive for bot his club and country than Rooney has been for his.

#199 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 19 January 2011 - 19:40

They have both been at times very good players, Torres is as bad as any this season but he's not English so you will endlessly defend him.

Suarez is better than Rooney on current form yet that rule dosen't apply to Torres.

Rooney has won more trophies at club level i believe, and Torres is fading from a very good Spanish side.

And if Suarez is anywhere near as good as Rooney then he is worth £30 mill, but i doubt that very much.

To cut to the point, i expect both Rooney and Torres to return to form at some point as both are very good players, the difference is that one plays in the best team in the world at international level. And Suarez has it all to do.

#200 Guest_THFC6061_*

Posted 20 January 2011 - 19:05

Mark Lawrenson's Prediction for Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur

Newcastle are very unpredictable at the moment.

They should probably have taken all three points at Sunderland last week because they were the better side but what you always get from them under manager Alan Pardew is a team willing to battle.

They get their foot in and they press the opposition, and they do both of those things extremely well.

Tottenham have been on a great run but they lost at Everton and drew at home to Manchester United in their last two league games, and I think they might be in for another frustrating time here.

I still think Spurs are heading in the right direction, though.

Steven Pienaar is an excellent signing from Everton, and he is a really useful player because he can play in any position across the midfield - he's a good footballer, runs at people and commits defenders.

Pienaar is another attack-minded player to add to the long list at Tottenham and it's another clever buy by Spurs boss Harry Redknapp.

Redknapp has let David Bentley go out on loan to Birmingham, made Robbie Keane available and is probably thinking about allowing Nico Krankjar to leave as well.

He is changing his options around in that department and has such great competition for places.

Prediction: Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur

Here are all of Lawro's 2010-11 Premier League predictions, together with how the League Table would look like if he was correct...

Lawrenson's Premier League Predictions 2010-11

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users