Planet Spurs Forums: Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 Manchester United - Planet Spurs Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 Manchester United Sunday 16 January, KO: 16:10 GMT, White Hart Lane

#21 Guest_Stephan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:57

QUOTE (thfcalan @ Jan 12 2011, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For 36 fixtures of the season i actually quite like Man U, the other 2 against Spurs i dread

How can you like Man U? They are about the most boring team I can think of in the Premier League. I'd rather watch Blackpool or Bolton than Man U if I want to see entertaining and attacking football.

#22 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 13:55

In footballing terms we are good as them its 50/50 calls that United seem to get, that seals things for them and of course their 12th man in the middle.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#23 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 12 January 2011 - 15:02

QUOTE (thfcalan @ Jan 12 2011, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For 36 fixtures of the season i actually quite like Man U, the other 2 against Spurs i dread, usually we play quite well during these games but its the same old story vs this mob. Hopefully it can be an historic win for the boys and really spur us on to push for the title (not that i expect us to win in any case) and set some ground work for seasons to come. Like many have said this is a HUGE game for us, i just want to finnsh above Le Arse sooooo bad and getting 3 points on Sunday will go along way towards that!

I'm with Stephen on this...I hate Man U with a passion, more than any other side. They have no magnanimity at all and their manager and many of their players are disagreeable individuals, at best. But I think we need to look at the bigger picture...I would happily give them the title if it guaranteed Spurs fourth place. Only this would ensure that we keep our players so that one day, hopefully in the not too distant future, your wish re Arsenal might be realised. That is all that matters...it would be no consolation to me at all this year , if we finished fifth, to know that Arsenal finished sixth. Sorry if that makes me unpopular.

#24 Guest_Raj_*

Posted 12 January 2011 - 17:31

I used to not mind man utd, as spurs were always round midtable before id prefer man utd to win league over arsenal so never hated them until recent years, where weve been f***ed over, now i do hate them, from the refereeing adv to the diving etc.

#25 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:03

and the ref is ....

... mike dean.

Could be worse, could be better - anyone but howard webb. I think alan wiley and andre mariner are the best 2 refs.

At least it will be 11 vs 11 at the start.

#26 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:07

QUOTE (GJHSpurs @ Jan 12 2011, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm with Stephen on this...I hate Man U with a passion, more than any other side. They have no magnanimity at all and their manager and many of their players are disagreeable individuals, at best. But I think we need to look at the bigger picture...I would happily give them the title if it guaranteed Spurs fourth place. Only this would ensure that we keep our players so that one day, hopefully in the not too distant future, your wish re Arsenal might be realised. That is all that matters...it would be no consolation to me at all this year , if we finished fifth, to know that Arsenal finished sixth. Sorry if that makes me unpopular.

Ditto. Hate Man Utd as much as arsenal and Chelsea. In fact these days it is really hard to say who i prefer to win the league if it cant be us. And there is no way i will be happy if man city win either.

#27 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:31

QUOTE (Raj @ Jan 12 2011, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to not mind man utd, as spurs were always round midtable before id prefer man utd to win league over arsenal so never hated them until recent years, where weve been f***ed over, now i do hate them, from the refereeing adv to the diving etc.

I sort of agree with the Man U point, if they had not won the trophies they had, then Arse would have won a good few more. Before this season i always watched them in CL and wanted them to do well as i saw it as sort of backing an English team, i can't say that about Arse or Chelski and always turn their matches off as soon as they take the lead.

#28 Guest_Raj_*

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:37

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ Jan 13 2011, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sort of agree with the Man U point, if they had not won the trophies they had, then Arse would have won a good few more. Before this season i always watched them in CL and wanted them to do well as i saw it as sort of backing an English team, i can't say that about Arse or Chelski and always turn their matches off as soon as they take the lead.

Yeh when I watch the CL, i usually want the eng teams to go far-ish to keep up the reputation of the prem, thus giving spurs more credibility globally.

#29 Guest_FergoSpurs_*

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:45

QUOTE (aussispurs @ Jan 13 2011, 03:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and the ref is ....

... mike dean.

Could be worse, could be better - anyone but howard webb. I think alan wiley and andre mariner are the best 2 refs.

I hate mike dean. Better than Webb or C**tenburg but he's still in SAF's little love in.

In my opinion we will play better, create more and still lose for two reasons:

(i) we will get stuffed by the ref. Even if nothing massive, every little decision goes their way - have you seen how dirty they are this season?!! Unbelieveable that they can foul teams off the park with no consequence week in/week out.

(ii) We will probably start with Crouch up front. When we do this we are static, one dimensional and we have no pace to aim at. Crouchy is a great impact sub for games like these... but nothing more.

If we start with defoe vdv and modric all playing, I think we maybe have an outside chance. You have to pass through Utd... not lob long balls at them.

Remember though, we are playing vs 12 not 11 and I think the players should be reminded of that by Arry before the game.

This is massive for us after that sh1tty l0ss to Everton (case in point for my argument against starting Crouchy btw)... just hope we can overcome the odds and the bias and get the job done.

#30 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 13 January 2011 - 14:06

I'd put my mortgage on Defoe/VDV starting, Fergo.

Man Utd like to play, so we will be able to........

#31 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 13 January 2011 - 14:49

QUOTE (aussispurs @ Jan 13 2011, 04:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and the ref is ....

... mike dean.

Yeah it could be worse. Am I wrong in saying Phil Dowd is a bit of a lucky charm for us? He was the ref at the Spurs - Chelsea game when he sent off Terry and gave us that penalty right?

#32 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 13 January 2011 - 19:06

Yep, that was Dowd. He f***ed us for quite a few years, one example being sending Robbie Keane off for nothing against Birmingham at home, when we'd just scored to bring it back to 2-2 and were in the ascendency.

Latterly though, he has given us some good decisions.

#33 Guest_CO_Spurs_*

Posted 13 January 2011 - 20:20

How's this for a sign: On Sunday I'm climbing a mountain with some friends...I just realized that the other small mountain across the valley from where we will be hiking is named London Mountain.

Translation: it's going to be an uphill battle for United...er, and we're going to bury them under an avalanche of goals. rolleyes.gif ph34r.gif

#34 Guest_CO_Spurs_*

Posted 13 January 2011 - 20:23

QUOTE (Stephan @ Jan 12 2011, 05:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can you like Man U? They are about the most boring team I can think of in the Premier League. I'd rather watch Blackpool or Bolton than Man U if I want to see entertaining and attacking football.

Although I don't like United and am not a fan, I'm pulling for them the other 36 games this year. Reason: I don't want the scum to win the title. The enemy of my enemy is my friend! We should hope they get max points each time they play (except against us) until the title is out of reach. Of course, this assumes we're not going to win the title ourselves. ph34r.gif

#35 Guest_THFC6061_*

Posted 13 January 2011 - 20:29

Mark Lawrenson's (BBC) Prediction:

Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United (Sunday, 1610 GMT)

Tottenham were left aggrieved by refereeing decisions in their defeat by Manchester United at Old Trafford in October, and Spurs goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes is probably still losing sleep over the way Nani scored after he had rolled the ball out thinking he had a free-kick.

But Spurs still gave it a real go in that game and, especially at White Hart Lane, they are capable of giving any side a real defensive examination.

I know United have not lost in the Premier League all season but I think their unbeaten record will end here.

Tottenham will throw everything at them and, seeing as he has spent the week training with Spurs, you can probably throw in the David Beckham-factor as being a big plus for them as well - not that he is likely to play, but just because he has been around the place.

Spurs are certainly in touch with the sides at the top of the table, but I cannot see them winning the title.

We saw against Everton last week that they have one or two shortcomings defensively.

Going forward they are absolutely brilliant but at the back they are not strong enough to win the title.

Prediction: Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Manchester United

Well that's a nailed-on win for United then!

Here are all of Lawro's 2010-11 Premier League predictions, together with how the League Table would look like if he was correct (he still has Spurs in 7th place even after beating United!)...

Lawro's 2010-11 Predictions

#36 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 13 January 2011 - 20:47

hubris: beware of it, especially when it comes to man united

as far as united are concerned, they are no longer public enemy number one in my eyes. suffering under a mountain of debt and being drawn into a ruinous arms race with city will surely spell the end of their club without brilliant management and signings.

city for me are the football antichrist. they way they are using their money to leverage all sorts of things is absolutely heinous.

every team in the league should make beating them priority number one.

anyways, for this game, i'm not very confident that we can succeed without an adequate CDM. Sandro is too inexperienced, palacios too poor in possession, jenas with not enough bite defensively. im calling this one as a draw at best as we are without the hudd.

i hope im wrong though! would love to see defoe make a statement about his next half of the season here. hopefully a statement of deadly intent.

#37 Guest_Raj_*

Posted 13 January 2011 - 21:03

Hoping this is the big game a guy like Palacios turns up for, turning his season round.

#38 Guest_stoxy1_*

Posted 13 January 2011 - 21:32

right if lawro is going for us were screwed!!

#39 Guest_FergoSpurs_*

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:24

QUOTE (EuanW @ Jan 13 2011, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd put my mortgage on Defoe/VDV starting, Fergo.

Man Utd like to play, so we will be able to........

Agreed - they are one of the few teams who will play against us.

Hope you're right Euan on Defoe.

But seriously, is it just me that thinks that Utd are one of the dirtiest teams in the league? It doesn't get noticed because the ref never blows up they get away with it.

Think we have to go out there and stand up to them physically if we want to earn the right to play our football.

#40 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:36

QUOTE (FergoSpurs @ Jan 14 2011, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed - they are one of the few teams who will play against us.

Hope you're right Euan on Defoe.

But seriously, is it just me that thinks that Utd are one of the dirtiest teams in the league? It doesn't get noticed because the ref never blows up they get away with it.

Think we have to go out there and stand up to them physically if we want to earn the right to play our football.

Vidic, Scholes and Gary Neville is enough to make any team dirty bastards, so I'd have to agree !

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users