Planet Spurs Forums: Newcastle United 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Newcastle United 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur Saturday 22 January, KO: 15:00 GMT, St James' Park

#1 Guest_Stephan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 21:14

We're going up North this weekend for our away game at Newcastle United.

The Toon will be without the injured Andy Carroll but have a replacement who's on fire at the moment in Leon Best. Best netted a hat-trick in his last home game for Newcastle. Their thuggish midfielder Cheik Tiote is serving a 3 match ban and will therefore be suspended for this match.

Spurs are without injuries (aside from long term absentees King, Woodgate, O'Hara and Huddlestone) and will be most likely travelling including new signing Steven Pienaar

#2 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 21 January 2011 - 00:01

Newcastle will try to bully us - but with Carrol, Smith and Tiote all out that is 3 less thugs we have to deal with - although the leader of the pack joey barton will be there kicking the s*** out of modric, bale and VDV.

AS much as i hate toon (the scum of the NE), they were pretty impressive against sunderland last week away from home and tough to beat at the Lane, so i expect them to be real handful at Sid James Park.

WE need Palacois to play well and a real strong stand from our back 4. Maybe Kaboul will get a start at RB for this one?

#3 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 21 January 2011 - 00:13

Think Palacios is suspended for this game isn't he? We've got the card-simulating little s*** Rafael to blame for it because it was a harsh decision.
Unfortunate because we could do with the muscle up there, but they've got more to worry about in terms of absences than we do...

#4 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 21 January 2011 - 00:25

QUOTE (Tommospur @ Jan 21 2011, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Think Palacios is suspended for this game isn't he?

Not according to the FA: http://www.thefa.com/thefa/disciplinary/suspensionlists

#5 Guest_cri$p$_*

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:02

im gona be in the home end for this 1 with my newcastle supporting mate. Carrol and possibly more so Tiote will be a big lose for them i fancy a win here

#6 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:12

QUOTE (Stephan @ Jan 21 2011, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My bad, thought I'd read somewhere that it was his 5th of the season and hence a 1 game ban.
Well, that's good then - this is the sort of game he should always play in - physical and away from home.
If Harry has a brain wave and starts Jenas instead I'll be raging, he rarely turns up in this sort of fixture. Save him for The Lane and against the Arse.

#7 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:13

Looking forward to how we deal with this thuggish side away from home. We usually do badly against teams who bully us around. Players like Lennon and Modric often have quiet games against these teams. Although Carroll, Tiote and Smith are the 3 biggest thugs after Barton so that will help. Looking forward to Pienaar taking part in this game, if Lennon or Modric are having a tough time he can do exactly what he was signed for and give us another attacking option. The current situation the league is in we need to get points pretty much everywhere. So if were being brutally honest we need 3 points here, losing is not an option.

#8 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:57

Agree about thuggish side, but one thing we must not do is come down to their level, and non retaliation, leave that out and we will win 2-0.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#9 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:37

Use Barton's temprament to our advantage, without the back-up of Smith and toite he is vulnerable to some of his own medicine. For this reason i would stick with "HIT MAN HUTTON" as he likes a bit of it. wink1.gif

#10 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 21 January 2011 - 14:00

I'm not totally agreeing on the thuggish bit. Yes they have some players who like to have a tackle or kick about, but overall I think Newcastle play more football than other thuggish sides like Stoke, Wolves and Birmingham.

#11 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 21 January 2011 - 16:14

This is a difficult one to call, not only because we are so unpredictable but also because Newcastle themselves seem to blow hot and cold. Normally, I'm not dissatisfied with a draw away from home because there are no easy games in the Pl anymore. However, I think we have reached the stage where we need to put together a decent run of results in order to secure that fourth spot. Furthermore, Chelsea, whom I feel could be the most vunerable of our competitors, have a tricky game at Bolton on Monday, so if we can win that would put them under increasing pressure. Their recent drop in form started when they were top of the league; it might really give them the jitters if the run continues whilst they are less highly placed.

#12 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 21 January 2011 - 18:41

We must win not only for ourselves but as you say to put pressure on Chelski.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#13 User is offline   1940Spursman8 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:obviously spurs-Xbox (Hayjax) music c/western.

Posted 21 January 2011 - 19:30

I know that Newcastle have some important players missing and we do not have any
injuries to worry about other than our long term absentees.I still know that this will be
a tough game but with the players we have like-Modric-VdV-Defoe-and hopefully Pienaar
will be up for this match and as my friend Journeyman has said we need to win this one
to keep up with Chelski.So I predict an away win for us and it is going to be either
2--0 or 3--0 with our team running riot over the Newcastle team.
1940Spursman8...coys///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// //

#14 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 21 January 2011 - 21:24

QUOTE (GJHSpurs @ Jan 21 2011, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a difficult one to call, not only because we are so unpredictable but also because Newcastle themselves seem to blow hot and cold. Normally, I'm not dissatisfied with a draw away from home because there are no easy games in the Pl anymore. However, I think we have reached the stage where we need to put together a decent run of results in order to secure that fourth spot. Furthermore, Chelsea, whom I feel could be the most vunerable of our competitors, have a tricky game at Bolton on Monday, so if we can win that would put them under increasing pressure. Their recent drop in form started when they were top of the league; it might really give them the jitters if the run continues whilst they are less highly placed.

Agree with all of this, I personally have no idea what might happen this weekend. I could see a Bolton away type result, or even see us doing them in clinical fashion 2 or 3-0. Tiote, Carroll and Smith not being present should hopefully expose a relatively thin squad, although central midfield is one of their strongest areas, with Nolan and Barton probably being able to partner up in there. Could be lots of goals in this actually, as Newcastle will come at us with the crowd behind them, and we are liable to do fatal damage on the break. If we can start off solidly and quieten the crowd, then we should be able to take complete control of the game with our superior players.

#15 Guest_The Slikmeister_*

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:05

I was both surprised & dissapointed with the rough house tactics deployed by the Cartoon army in our game at WHL between Xmas & New Year.
I know that our rise in stock means that teams are gonna try to stop us doing our thing, particularly when we are at home, but I thought there way of trying to do that was not on.
Still class, quality, guile & superior technique won the day.
Im predicting more of the same medicine for em this afternoon!
Two goals for us & another clean sheet.
COYS!!!

#16 Guest_smiley_spur_*

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:18

i have a bad feeling about this game which is quite unusual for me. It might be because i dreamt that we lost this game last night (i promise i dont dream about spurs every night) however i dont know how reliable my dreams are as our old goal keeper paul robinson scored the winner for them just after our old goal keeper paul robinson scuffed an easy catch in goal for us.

#17 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:48

QUOTE (Stephan @ Jan 21 2011, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not totally agreeing on the thuggish bit. Yes they have some players who like to have a tackle or kick about, but overall I think Newcastle play more football than other thuggish sides like Stoke, Wolves and Birmingham.

I think they were as thuggish as any team when we played at the Lane and the 2 main culprits will be missing for them today.But you are right that they can play a bit when they want to. Nolan will be a big player for them and we need to track his runs into the box. Their defence isn't that great, but can we capitalize on this? Again, we will struggle to score goals, and this one will go down to the wire.

#18 Guest_stoxy1_*

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:51

only spurs can go from a team where well score but we will definately concede... to after the last few games, we might keep a clean sheet but well struggle to score

#19 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:51

QUOTE (smiley_spur @ Jan 22 2011, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have a bad feeling about this game which is quite unusual for me. It might be because i dreamt that we lost this game last night (i promise i dont dream about spurs every night) however i dont know how reliable my dreams are as our old goal keeper paul robinson scored the winner for them just after our old goal keeper paul robinson scuffed an easy catch in goal for us.

GENIUS ! lmao.gif

#20 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 22 January 2011 - 13:35

QUOTE (stoxy1 @ Jan 22 2011, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
only spurs can go from a team where well score but we will definately concede... to after the last few games, we might keep a clean sheet but well struggle to score

The return of Dawson and form of Palacios might answer that.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users