Planet Spurs Forums: Blackburn Rovers 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Blackburn Rovers 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur Wednesday 2 February, KO: 20:00 GMT, Ewood Park

#21 Guest_Stephan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:21

My starting eleven would be:

Gomes
======
Corluka + Gallas + Bassong + Assou-Ekotto
======
Lennon + Palacios + VDV + Kranjcar
======
Defoe + Crouch

Defoe and Crouch had a good thing going at Pompey in a 4-4-2 so why don't we give it a go away from home. Just make it clear to the players we're playing a 4-4-2 in a football match and not a 4-5-1 in a kick & rush contest including a lanky forward....

If it doesn't work out we can bring on Pav for either of the two. If Palacios is woeful again (heard he was not good at Fulham) we could bring on Pienaar but it would make us weak in central midfield. Maybe slot Corluka in as DM and bring on Hutton at right back...

Forgot about Sandro. What I gathered after the FA Cup game people still not sure about him. So he might be a last option while no one really thinks he is ready. Then again, we have to give him a chance to step up some time.

#22 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:28

He's so gonna start Pienaar and it will upset me.

I like that team Stephan. Is Palacios fit though ? He never played against Fulham, unless you re referring to an earlier game against them ?

Also, Sandro was taken off after ten minutes due to the Dawson sending off, and was probably shell shocked at what was going on around him ! Our youngsters can't catch a break and get eased in, in a clinical display by the rest of our settled team. Its annoying, teams like Arsenal do it all the time.

#23 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:30

QUOTE (EuanW @ Feb 2 2011, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like that team Stephan. Is Palacios fit though ? He never played against Fulham, unless you re referring to an earlier game against them ?

Think I'm getting things mixed up. The thing with Palacios is that he never got back to that crazy form he was in when we signed him while we were down in the dumps in the 08/09 season when 'Arry just walked in.

If Palacios is not available then we simply must start with Sandro I feel.

#24 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:31

Just edited my previous post, added a wee Sandro snip as well, dude.

#25 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:37

QUOTE (EuanW @ Feb 2 2011, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, Sandro was taken off after ten minutes due to the Dawson sending off, and was probably shell shocked at what was going on around him ! Our youngsters can't catch a break and get eased in, in a clinical display by the rest of our settled team. Its annoying, teams like Arsenal do it all the time.

He has definitely been unlucky. He must be feeling quite disappointed about his first season here so far. He hardly got a look in and when he did he wasn't able to make a significant impact. At Bolton he made a painful mistake, Fulham like you mentioned was subbed after Dawson's red card. The only thing that was somewhat promising was his spirited performance in the Carling Cup clash with The Scum early in the season.

#26 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:05

No modric or bale. We are screwed. How in gods name are we going to score. Defoe and crouch cant score, nor can palacios or our defenders. That leaves our only chance for a goal coming for lennon or VDV.

I am not even going to watch this one.

This could be a Fulham all over again.

#27 Guest_spursbri_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:41

looking at the table i think the only team we can catch is man city. which means three points tonight against a tough team with three of our best players out. What i ve seen of city they dont seem great and if we can keep in front of liverpool and the rest i think we can take them. forwards need to get there a--e in gear and start fighting for the cause. we have an opportunity for sandro to bury the ghost of his debut tonight.

#28 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:11

My starting eleven would be:

Gomes
======
Corluka + Gallas + Bassong + Assou-Ekotto
======
Lennon + Palacios + VDV + Kranjcar
======
Defoe + Crouch

I'll second that, Guys have faith!!! Our strikers will start firing from today, i'm praying for them praying.gif

Harry will have no option but to play 4-4-2 today bcos of modders being out now.

#29 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:13

QUOTE (EuanW @ Feb 2 2011, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Feeling you re: Pienaar. He's a back up player at most but a good one at it. Sandro deserves a good chance, today 'might' be a good chance for him especially when we know how Blackburn play like a bunch of thugs at Ewood park; expect some dirty challenges and rough housing tonight! Sarge has recovered from what I hear, and have faith he's coming back to his old self slowly but surely.

COYS!

#30 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:18

We are away from home, it is arrogant to think we will have the lions share of possession, i would rather keep it tight, then have a go latter in the game.

My formation

Gomes

Corluka Gallas Bassong Bae

Lennon/vdv Palacios Jenas Kranky

Crouch Defoe

Sandro is not quite ready but some will want him instead of Jenas for the same old reasons, i would go with him because it has worked with him and Palacios before, where as Sandro and Wilson hasn't on the few times its been tried.

4-5-1 dosen't make us hard to break down so calling it because we are away is not making any sense to me. Unless we play a freaky 4-3-2-1 which is highlighting the shape issue i already have when VDV plays.

#31 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:23

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ Feb 2 2011, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sandro is not quite ready but some will want him instead of Jenas for the same old reasons, i would go with him because it has worked with him and Palacios before, where as Sandro and Wilson hasn't on the few times its been tried.

Agree re: Sandro + Palacios playing together might be a tad risky, Bolton Game they played together and that didn't end up too well. Can't play two defensive midfielders in the centre, far too negative. We have to attack today that should be the mentality; To play as if it is a cup final. Arry will pick JJ tonight, i'm sure of that; he's a decent player but just worried about the midfield roles of who's attacking and defending might be a bit jumbled up when he plays as all he likes to do is to go around in circles or backwards in midfield with the odd occassion 'kaka esq bursting runs into the box lol

#32 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:43

He shouldn't get to confused playing with Wilson, they know who's doing what, but they still might not be able to do it.

Now i'm confused.

VDV or Lennon is the key for me, is VDV un-droppable, we must surely drop one for the sake of the team, not because either of them deserve to be dropped.

#33 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:53

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ Feb 2 2011, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
VDV or Lennon is the key for me, is VDV un-droppable, we must surely drop one for the sake of the team, not because either of them deserve to be dropped.

If Crouchy plays, then VDV has to play. I think that's the general rule of it. He is our best deliverer of the ball. Mind you Rafa would be a better option than Niko on the left though, could line up with:

Lennon - Wilson - JJ - VDV (which I think he is most likely to do) with JD and Crouchy up front. That wouldn't be the worst formation in the world. Let the sarge sit back and defend and JJ link up with strikers and wingers. Only problem with that is, will Rafa track back on the left and help out BAE? That's one thing i'm worried about. Second thing is that Hoilett kid, not sure Charlie at right back if he is facing Hoilett is a complete mis-match, he will do him for pace... Hutton has been poor in the recent few games, but Charlie has the pace of a grandad that might be a problem against hoilett.

#34 Guest_markgrovecarter_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:40

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ Feb 2 2011, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well it sounds like Modric might not be playing so i'd definatly have to play VDV, otherwise we arn't going to have someone to create things in midfield.

..................Gomes

Hutton...Gallas...Bassong...Ekotto

Lennon...Palacios. ..VDV...Piennar

............Defoe...Crouch

Maybe swap Crouch for Pav, I like Crouch and he links up well with VDV, Corluka in for Gallas if he's still injured, or possibly Khumalo don't know if he's up to it yet but why not see??

#35 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:02

I would go with that, but perhaps swap Crouch for Pav (Not sure) and would also like to see Kranjcar get a game ahead of Piennar!! Funnily enough I have been calling for Corluka to return to right back, however, with no Bale/Modric I think we may need hi attacking runs down the right as an option!! Corluka to play against Bolton at home!!

Line up:

Gomes
Hutton?? Woodgate/Gallas Bassong BAE

Lennon Palacios VDV Kranjcar

Defoe Pav/Crouch

No Jenas pls HARRY, BRING HIM ON TO FRESHEN THING UP AFTER 65 MINS!!

#36 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:24

I'm so depressed with what has happened since Xmas in terms of injuries and results that I will keep it simple...whatever formation we pick, we must win. I can see our season falling apart in February if we are not careful. A few points...
1. Hutton has been dining out on his decent performance against Wolves for some time now. Defensively, he is consistently suspect (that 'tackle' on Sunday was both clumsy AND unnecessary) and I would confine his role tonight to one of late sub. if we are chasing the game.
2. Pav up front to partner Defoe, with Crouch as plan B, if necessary.
3. Start Lennon and VDV for creativity, but impress upon the latter the need for a more discipline role this evening. If Hutton comes on as a sub, we can switch Lennon to the left.
4. Palacios to partner VDV in the middle or, if not fit, try Sandro. We need some muscle in the centre and JJ can be lightweight.
The players need to step up to the plate tonight and really want it.
COYS

#37 Guest_stuboy72_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 13:23

With what we have left to pick form after injuries, suspension and transfers, i would opt for the following:

GK - Gomes

CB - Corluka
CB - Gallas
CB - Bassong

WB - Hutton
WB - Ekotto

CM - Palacios
CM - Jenas

AM - VDV

ST - Pav
ST - Defoe

Subs

Cudicini
Woodgate
Jenas
Kranjcar
Piennar
Lennon
Crouch

I know it's a not a familiar formation for us to play, but given the fact we don't really have any natural wide men available other than Lennon, who is off form at the moment, i feel with Hutton & BAE who are capable of getting up down the flank, we will still get crosses into the box.

Though Palacios and Jenas are not everyone’s favourite’s players, i feel they will be the best bet against a tough Blackburn midfield.

This formation allows us to have two up top and VDV playing off them, which allows us to go through the middle if we are having no joy down the wings, and if we give VDV a free role, rather than a specific one, he will give the Blackburn defence a headache.

#38 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 13:40

If we're without Modric how on earth do some justify dropping VDV? Where will the creativity coming forward come from? We need a great passer in midfield now we're without both Huddlestone and Modric. The only one who can ping them now is VDV, Palacios is a horrible passer in long range.

We should play a 4-4-2 with a diamond shape in midfield with VDV in the arrow forward. 5 defensive players should be able to deal with Blackburn. Add to that Lennon and Kranjcar should force them to go through the centre by putting pressure on them early on we have a good defensive tactic I reckon.

#39 Guest_stuboy72_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 14:24

We could go for a narrow diamond with Palacios as DM, Kranjcar & Piennar as CM's and VDV as an AM, this would be a similar set up to how Chelsea played once upon a time.

Whatever formation is played is irrelevant really, as getting the 3 points is the priority and if we do that who cares who plays and scores.

#40 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 02 February 2011 - 14:32

@ Stuboy: It's bad enough you say we should start Jenas, but you have him on your bench too!! Lol, One of him is bad enough thanks!!

I guarantee if Jenas starts we will play badly and stuggle to get a draw!! He should only be brought on to add some energy late on when we are hopefully in a winning position!!!

COYS!! LETS HOPE THE LADS ARE UP FOR THIS, Could be a season definer??!!

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users