Planet Spurs Forums: Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Bolton Wanderers - Planet Spurs Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Bolton Wanderers Saturday 5 February, KO: 15:00 GMT, White Hart Lane

#1 Guest_Stephan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 21:01

After our win away at Blackburn we will be looking to get a little run going to keep our hopes for a top 4 finish alive. First obstacle is Bolton Wanderers at home. They have been a revelation since Owen Coyle took over but have struggled to get results of late.

Spurs have been on a bit of a cold streak, only getting 5 points out of a possible 12 in the last 4 games in the league and have also been knocked out of the FA Cup courtesy of an easy and convincing 4-0 Fulham win at Craven Cottage.

Bolton are having a bit of a tough time. They've lost 3 out of their last 5 games and only managed to get back to winning ways last Wednesday with a 1-0 home win thanks to a cheeky goal by Chelsea loanee Daniel Sturridge in the last minute of the game. He managed to slot the ball passed keeper Wayne Hennessy - who was sensational on the night - after he intercepted a clumsy back pass by Wolves' defender Ronald Zubar.

After the Blackburn game Harry Redknapp confirmed Michael Dawson will be available for this game, as his suspension was reduced to 1 game. Therefore the injury woes in the centre of defence seem over with Bassong, Gallas, Dawson and Woodgate all expected to be ready for the Bolton game.

We will still be without Modric due to his recent appendicitis operation. Huddlestone has had a setback in his road to recovery and will definitely not be back for another month. Other players out due to injury are King, Bale and Kaboul.

Bolton only have 1 player out due to injury, defender Jlloyd Samuel. Except for Samuel, manager Owen Coyle can dispose of a full squad as there are no suspensions among the Bolton players.

Edit: Official team news update by the club says Pienaar will be available for this match

#2 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 03 February 2011 - 22:04

Simple, patch up what played on Wednesday and go with that same formation.

If Pav plays i'll be annoyed as always because he is lazy.

I would stick with Gallas and Bassong but fear Harry will bring in Dawson.

I would also stick with Charlie even though VDV will cause him problems when he goes for a wander

#3 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:47

Dawson needs to play really, he had a horrific 12 minutes at Fulham but he has been our best defender/player for the last 2 years or so. If he is not selected it could affect his confidence and he is the type of player to bounce back from that. I would expect the same team that played Blackburn except Dawson for Bassong or Gallas if he is not fit.

#4 Guest_Go Team_*

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:58

QUOTE (ChrisPienaar @ Feb 4 2011, 02:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dawson needs to play really, he had a horrific 12 minutes at Fulham but he has been our best defender/player for the last 2 years or so. If he is not selected it could affect his confidence and he is the type of player to bounce back from that. I would expect the same team that played Blackburn except Dawson for Bassong or Gallas if he is not fit.

I'm with you on that. I also hope Harry makes better use of his bench and stopps running VDV into the ground. Hopefully we get a 2 goal lead and Hary can take him off on 70 minutes

#5 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:11

great news about some of our injured being back, and as you say Arry has to use the bench in a more strategic manor, you can not keep running players into the ground as he has been lately, maybe hes been justified, or maybe hes just lost the plot.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#6 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:15

Agree that Harry needs to try and give VDV a rest, but our defensive crisis over, has become a midfield crisis!! We have pretty much 3/4 of our midfield out injured!! Hudd, Bale, Modric Piennar are all out!! So if he wants to bring him off, who's gonna come on?? Lol

Expect to win and would stick with Crouch, but Pav needs minutes, like him or not, he is here till summer at least and we need all three of our strikers to get in the goals, the best way to get that is give them all playing time!! Even if its for Defoe, he needs at least fifteen/ twenty mins soon!!

#7 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:01

QUOTE (special yid @ Feb 4 2011, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree that Harry needs to try and give VDV a rest, but our defensive crisis over, has become a midfield crisis!! We have pretty much 3/4 of our midfield out injured!! Hudd, Bale, Modric Piennar are all out!! So if he wants to bring him off, who's gonna come on?? Lol

Expect to win and would stick with Crouch, but Pav needs minutes, like him or not, he is here till summer at least and we need all three of our strikers to get in the goals, the best way to get that is give them all playing time!! Even if its for Defoe, he needs at least fifteen/ twenty mins soon!!

The problem with using our subs is that we hardly ever get the two goal lead that would allow us to shut up shop a bit. If we do it with a one goal lead and it dosen't work everybody rants about being negative.

I don't have a problem with Dawson playing, just thought that not changing our defence might help, considering our make-do midfield at the moment.

The problem with Pav is that the ball dosen't stick with him and that is suicide when under pressure in the last 20 mins. Crouch and Defoe should start and Pav used only if we need a goal not if we are protecting a lead. Sandro for Defoe or VDV is the call if we need to tighten up later in the game.

We don't have the luxury to just give playing time to players who might need it, and Pav always seems to me to play better when he has been left out for a while. Without our passing midfielders Pav would be a bad call to start. Having said that, we will need to use him at some point, but not against Bolton.

#8 User is offline   1940Spursman8 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:obviously spurs-Xbox (Hayjax) music c/western.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:39

Good post Stephan as always keep it up man;;;I believe this will be another
physical match like against Blackburn.I also believe that we should win this game
as Bolton never seem to do very well at the Lane.I think we should play Dawson
as I believe he is a good leader and yes I know he had a nightmare in his last
game but players do have off days and that was one of his but for the last two
years he has been one of our best players at the back.How can Harry rest our
VdV with the injuries we have at the present time and he is playing superb.
What about Gomes on Wednesday he was outstanding and made some crucial
saves to help us win the game and he is really coming in to great form.
Once some of our injuries are back our team will be a lot stronger specially with
the likes of--Bale--Hudd--Pienaar and all the others.I do see us winning this game
as Bolton are not playing that well and I think we are so I see a 2--0 or 3--0 win for us.
1940Spursman8...coys////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

#9 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2011 - 13:03

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/artic...ews-040211.html

Pienaar is back for this match and Bale should be back next weekend. Modric should be back within 2 weeks. With Pienaar coming back into the squad I think Pienaar should come in for Jenas and play on the left with Lennon on the right. Though Harry likes Jenas so he may swap Sandro for Pienaar.

#10 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 04 February 2011 - 13:48

QUOTE (ChrisPienaar @ Feb 4 2011, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pienaar is back for this match and Bale should be back next weekend. Modric should be back within 2 weeks. With Pienaar coming back into the squad I think Pienaar should come in for Jenas and play on the left with Lennon on the right. Though Harry likes Jenas so he may swap Sandro for Pienaar.

My only issue with this suggestion is that apparently...I didn't see the game so I can't be sure...JJ played well on Wednesday. I'm not his greatest fan, but if this is true it would be harsh to drop him for Pienaar, who was unavailable against Blackburn. I feel that to do this would send out the wrong message, especially as Pienaar has not yet reached the status of being indispensible, like Bale or Modric, for example. Personally, I would have him standing by as a sub should things not go according to plan.

#11 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2011 - 15:09

Agreed and I did actually call for him to not be involved the other night, but in all fairness he did very well and should probaly retain his place against Bolton!!

I think we should line up like this:

Gomes

Corluka Dawson Gallas BAE

V.D.V Palacios Jenas Lennon

Crouch Defoe

Feel Lennon and VDV need to switch sides now and again, and hope Pav gets some game time too!!

Bench: Cudicini, Bassong, Sandro, Piennar, Kranjcar, Pav, Hutton.

#12 Guest_Go Team_*

Posted 04 February 2011 - 15:15

QUOTE (ChrisPienaar @ Feb 4 2011, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We'd two keepers on the bench so one of them will drop out ratehr than dropping sandro from the bench.

Tough call, part of me would play Jenas again. He did well from what i could see on my crappy stream!

Peinar on the left and Lennon on the right makes sense tho and I'd rather drop Jenas than anyone else to get him into the team

#13 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 04 February 2011 - 16:22

Is Dawson not out for three games after a straight red with no appeal guys?
If he was available I'd play him, but don't think he will be.

#14 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 04 February 2011 - 17:16

It got reduced to 1 match ban, so he is available.

If we drop Jenas, who plays in the middle with Wilson?

#15 Guest_markgrovecarter_*

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:07

This is going to be a TOUGH game, alot tougher than the Blackburn game I suspect.

I'l go for a 3-2 win for us or a 3-3 draw!!

#16 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:12

I really hope he doesn't resort to a 4-5-1 today after hearing Pienaar is back & hope he doesn't start Pienaar either!

I'm in favour of starting Pav with Crouch up today and bringing on JD on the 70 minute mark. Pav has got a good goal scoring record against Bolton; Daws for me has to replace Seb Bassong. Need good headerers of the ball so Charlie is best option at right back too. Have to make sure that Lee guy is marked out of the game, he's their main supply. I'd rather have JJ start than Pienaar tbh, just hope he plays two strikers!

Yesterdays team news/update from fantasyscout:
04/02: New signing Steven Pienaar has recovered from concussion and is set of his home debut here. He will likely start on the left with Bale still sidelined with back problems. Harry Redknapp stated that Bale was back in light training and should be available for next weekend’s fixture. Pienaar’s inclusion could see Crouch droped to the bench with Van der Vaart restored in the support role playing off a lone striker – that seems likely to be Defoe, despite Crouch’s goal in midweek. Dawson returns from suspension at the back and he will likely lineup with Gallas as Bassong drops to the bench. Corluka could well continue at right-back after Hutton was mysteriously left out of the 18 at Blackburn with no injury or illness reported.

Predicted Lineup: Gomes, Corluka, Dawson, Gallas, Assou-Ekotto, Lennon, Palacios, Jenas, Pienaar, Van der Vaart, Defoe.

#17 Guest_Robspur85_*

Posted 05 February 2011 - 13:01

Gents I am going for a tough, frustrating 2-1 win. I bet you Kevin bloody Davies scores for them too!! I think for us Crouchie and Pav will notch, Pav netting the winner as a 2nd half sub!

COYS

#18 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 05 February 2011 - 13:11

Dont feel good about this game and have to say I think we will loose 1-0 or 2-1, but of course I want us to win, but right now would take the draw.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#19 Guest_markgrovecarter_*

Posted 05 February 2011 - 13:15

I'd like to see a Pav/ Crouch front line but I don't think that will happen, it will be a Defoe/ Crouch attack i'm sure.

On their day I think Defoe is a better striker than Pav but at the moment Defoe is not on form so i'd like to see Pav playing. I know Crouch doesn't score loads of goals but he works so hard, links up very well with VDV got a good goal against Blackburn on Wednesday, so he's a definate in the strike force in my opinion.

#20 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 05 February 2011 - 14:06

Think we'll either draw or lose. Bolton will definitely be up for it and will try to emulate their play from that 4-2 thrashing we got served at the Reebok Stadium.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users