Planet Spurs Forums: Sunderland 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Sunderland 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur Saturday 12 February, KO: 17:30 GMT, Stadium of Light

#1 Guest_THFC6061_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:05

Tottenham Hotspur visit the Stadium of Light to play Sunderland, who were the first club outside the original 12 members to join the Football League, in the 27th round of Premier League matches on Saturday evening.

This will be the 110th time the two teams have met.

The first meeting came at Northumberland Park in March 1898 when Spurs were playing in the Southern League in a friendly which Sunderland won 2-0.

A second meeting followed with the year when Spurs beat Sunderland 2-1 in the old second round (today's fourth round) of the FA Cup in February 1899.

Tottenham's first visit to Sunderland came during a mini tour of the North-East to celebrate the turn of the century with Spurs winning the friendly match 3-1 on 2nd January 1900.

The first Football League meetings between the two clubs saw Sunderland win at home 3-1 in September 1909 and Spurs having a comprehensive win in the return fixture at White Hart Lane 5-1.

Tottenham Hotspur's all-time record attendance of 75,038 at White Hart Lane came in an FA Cup 6th round match against Sunderland in March 1938. Sundeland won the game 1-0. This was the only FA Cup match Sunderland have won out of the 7 played so far with Spurs winning five and one game drawn.

The only two League matches played outside the Top Flight came during 1977-78 when Spurs won at Roker Park 2-1 but lost the return Division Two match at the Lane 3-2.

The clubs first met in the Football League Cup in November 1984 with Spurs drawing 0-0 away but Sunderland winning the replay at the Lane 2-1.

The three matches in the competition have resulted in a win each and one game drawn.

Since Sunderland joined the Premier League in season 1996-97, no further domestic cup ties have been played between the two clubs.

Spurs have a good record during the Premier League Era with 11 wins to Sunderland's 5 and the remaining 3 games drawn. Spurs have taken an average of 1.89 points off Sunderland in the 19 matches played so far.

Last season, goals from Robbie Keane and Tom Huddlestone saw Spurs win 2-0 at home with Sunderland winning 3-1 at the Stadium of Light.

The reverse fixture earlier this season at White Hart Lane ended in a 1-1 draw with Rafael van der Vaart putting Spurs ahead in the second half only for Sunderland's Asamoah Gyan to equalise three minutes later.

Overall, Spurs have the upper hand over Sunderland with 43 wins to 38 and 28 of the 109 matches played so far drawn.

Spurs v Sunderland 1898-2011

They Played for Spurs & Sunderland...

Ben Alnwick
Darren Bent
Ted Birnie (Spurs player, Sunderland trainer & coach)
Ivor Broadis
Fraizer Campbell
Graham Carr (scout with both clubs)
Jim Chalmers
Pascal Chimbonda
Ernie Coquet
John Curtis
Calum Davenport
Jimmy Delvin
Márton Fülöp
Phil Gray
Jim Hartley
Alan Hutton
Joe Knowles
Steed Malbranque
Fred Mearns
Bobby Mimms
Bill Murray
George Payne
Andy Reid
Jimmy Seed
Paul Stewart
Teemu Tainio
Chris Waddle

Jack Whitbourne

#2 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 07 February 2011 - 16:39

Strong work once again THFC6061, very interesting as ever.
Man, look at how fat Andy Reid is in that picture for a Premiership footballer - I don't think all the chippies he'll encounter in his loan to Blackpool will help that!

#3 Guest_THFC6061_*

Posted 08 February 2011 - 17:27

Thanks!

Andy Reid is a fine figure of a man and one of the few professional footballers who actually make me look relatively slim!

Anything Spurs can come away with at Sunderland on Saturday will make us the 6th member of the 1,000 points Premier League club.

Here's hoping we actually have 1,002 after the game.

#4 Guest_Tommospur_*

Posted 08 February 2011 - 17:34

Definitely, it's a hard place to go but I fancy our chances.
Know we lost year but as I recall we had no experience at the back that day due to injury and suspension, some questionable decisions (particularly the penalty given for a rebound onto Kyle Walker's hand), a diving Frazier Campbell and a Bent on a revenge mission!
They'll be missing the last two factors and Daws and/or Gallas at the back should help, but it'll still be close - Spurs win by a goal and the 1000 points up.

#5 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:20

Great work 6061 a real good read, always enjoy the stats!! ESPECIALLY WHEN WE ARE UP ON THEM!! Lol

Not sure what to expect, we will need to turn up, or Sunderland will beat us!! Nice early goal please!!!

Whats the latest on injuries???

#6 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 10 February 2011 - 15:41

We're back on the road again for a long trip up north to Sunderland.

Sunderland will be looking to bounce back after 2 back-to-back defeats at the hands of Chelsea and Stoke. Despite these recent defeats they are exceeding expectations this season, currently sitting in 7th with 37 points.

After 2 wins on the bounce away at Blackburn and at home over Bolton Spurs will be looking to roll on to increase their chances for a top 4 finish.

Rafael van der Vaart is still doubtful after going off with a calf strain last weekend. Luka Modric and Gareth Bale also remain doubtful for this match. Other injuries include Ledley King, Tom Huddlestone and Younes Kaboul. Jonathan Woodgate is expected to travel after continuing his return to fitness in a midweek friendly against a QPR XI.

Sunderland are missing Campbell, Cattermole, Meyler, Turner and Welback due to injuries. None of them are expected to return to fitness before Sunday's match.

Read up on this game in THFC6061's Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland Match History 1898-2011 topic.

#7 Guest_Go Team_*

Posted 10 February 2011 - 15:49

QUOTE (Stephan @ Feb 10 2011, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're back on the road again for a long trip up north to Sunderland.

I'd be quite happy with a point here. they're just below us in hte league and their on merit too. Tough place to go, especially with our injuries and the big distraction of AC Milan on the horizon. I wouldn't mind seeing Harry rest VDV and Lennon and try to shut up shop. Then hopefully Krancy can come into the team and produce another wonder goal to steal it for us!

#8 User is offline   1940Spursman8 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:obviously spurs-Xbox (Hayjax) music c/western.

Posted 10 February 2011 - 16:03

This is a game that we can win but saying that Sunderland is a tough place
to go to.I believe they are sitting in 7th place in the premier league and as
someone has already said they are there on merit.Steve Bruce is a good
manager and Like Harry say's it how it is and talks straight.I really believe
that we will come away with a win and I forecast a 2--0 win to the mighty
SPURS and possibly another scorcher from our Krancjar would be nice.
We do really need a win to keep us on course for that vital 4th place.
1940Spursman8...coys///////////////////////////////////////////////////

#9 Guest_stoxy1_*

Posted 10 February 2011 - 16:15

would love a win obviously but is always a tough place to go... a couple rested might be a shout but i dont think thats harry's style. a draw would be an ok result there but as already mentioned in another thread man city and chelsea have a tough weekend, chance for us to do some dmage to them with a win!!

#10 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 10 February 2011 - 17:11

Go for the win. We have momentum, and their form has dipped in recent weeks since the sale of Darren Bent. At least thats a former Yid out the way, and not able to damage us. If VDV is fit , then play him. Lets reverse the result against them in this fixture last season

#11 Guest_bracknellyid_*

Posted 10 February 2011 - 17:14

Can we please sort the match threads a little earlier guys???

Surely the weekends game is what we all want to talk about all week?

As ive said i another thread, massive game as City should slip up at lunchtime.

Not an easy place to go however.

I would take a point

#12 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 10 February 2011 - 17:20

QUOTE (bracknellyid @ Feb 10 2011, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can we please sort the match threads a little earlier guys???

I'll get some sorted for our 3 next games right now

#13 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 10 February 2011 - 18:14

this should have been merged into the sunderland match thread days ago. my bad.

topic merged.

#14 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 10 February 2011 - 18:20

THFC6061, fantastic work as always. you are truly an asset to this site and these threads in particular! Clapping.gif

#15 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 10 February 2011 - 23:13

i think it will be the same side that played the second half against bolton.

Big help with cattermole, turner, welbeck out.

It will be all about the midfield and whether jenas and palacios can win the battle.

Draw at best

#16 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 10 February 2011 - 23:17

Tainio, Malbranque and Chimbonda for 20 odd million pounds hahahahahahahaahhaa, I'd forgotten about that, Levy is a genius.

#17 Guest_bracknellyid_*

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:48

QUOTE (Stephan @ Feb 10 2011, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll get some sorted for our 3 next games right now

Nice work mate nice1.gif

#18 Guest_bracknellyid_*

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:38

Anybody have news on Rafa or Bale??

#19 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:12

No, I am afraid I dont brackers!! And if anyone else does dont share it with me unless it is GOOD NEWS pls! Lol. Hope Bale should be ok, but should save him for Milan I say, VDV should be ok, but again may be worth resting him for the big one Tue!!

I would suggest we line up like this:

Gomes
Corluka Dawson Gallas BAE

Lennon Palacios Jenas Krancjar

Pav Defoe

(Rest Crouch for Milan, also Pav needs mins, wont go there right now tho!!) Lol

#20 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:20

QUOTE (bracknellyid @ Feb 11 2011, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody have news on Rafa or Bale??

both out i heard