Planet Spurs Forums: Sunderland 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Sunderland 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur Saturday 12 February, KO: 17:30 GMT, Stadium of Light

#181 Guest_aussispurs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 February 2011 - 23:36

QUOTE (SevenSteps2Kevin @ Feb 12 2011, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
agree with all of it Clapping.gif

... actually i dont agree!

gomes 2 - played ok but his theatrics were embarrassing. Wish harry would have subbed him after the yellow
Charlie 8 - was our MOM. created the winning goal with his pass and was the only one opening their defence with incisive passing. solid in defence
Dawson / Gallas - 7 both rocks. Great games
Bae - 7.5 very good as well
Krancjar - 7 great second half, but really poor first half
Sandro - 7 solid, completely lost in first 20 mins. Harry actually swapped him and jenas which allowed him to adjust to the pace, then he improved.
Jenas - 7.5 was solid and helped sandro find his feet. Ran till the end
Pienaar - 5 our worst player i thought. Really unimpressed with him so far
Defoe - 5.5 did he play
Pav - 5.5 lazy, poor first touch, poor hold up play. Business as usual

#182 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 12 February 2011 - 23:41

... but great win. Really impressed with the our steel. i thought we shaded it in terms of general play as well. Harry must have ripped in at half time. We played with much more urgency in the second half and were first to the ball. our backline looks really solid which is important with the cl and run home.

... 1 goal from midflied, 1 from defence. Thats almost more that our strikers have scored all season. Not sure why bother playing strikers anymore.

#183 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 13 February 2011 - 00:26

More inclined to agree with aussispurs, dont totally agree with the pienaar comment, he hasnt exactly been another van de vaart but he worked hard and did more than defoe (not too hard considering defoe never turned up).
Agree think Corluka was good but by no means MOM. MOM has to go to Kranjcar simply for scoring the winner.
Glad to see Defoe is still saving his goals for more important matches smile.gif :sigh:

#184 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 00:31

From what I could see in the MOTD highlights Sandro was good today. Good run and effort on the cross that lead to the 2-1. That ball that landed on the top of the cross bar, he had a vital foot on that one otherwise Richardson might have buried it.

Think he still needs to adapt to the tempo of the game more but he seems to be finding his feet. We can use a box to box midfielder now we're out without Modric and Bale.

#185 Guest_MattyWright24_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:56

I was really impressed with the way we played against Sunderland, this was a game that a few years ago we would have lost but we showed a lot of fighting spirit to dig deep and come through this one, especially after going a goal down. We are finally showing that we have a squad and the so called fringe players are starting to come in and do the business and pushing the so called starting eleven for a place in the team which is brilliant.

This was the win we needed to really push for the top four and show everyone we mean business and are no push overs, hard place to play and not many people win there.

Jenas again for me was superb, I thought he led the team so well in Midfield and Sandro finally came of age yesterday. He made a few great runs from deep, one leading to Nico's goal and his distribution was very good from that defensive midfield position. Him and Jenas together did very well together.

Pienaar is getting a bit of stick on here but he is still settling into the team. He is showing glimpses of what he can do and he will always put a shift in for you, he will come good I am sure. He did give the ball away quite a bit yesterday but at least he was trying to make things happen.

The one thing worrying me are the strikers again.........Pav looked very slow again and Defoe didnt really do a great deal, i think he needs one goal and hopefully the flood gates will open.

But all in all after a dreadful first half an hour that is a great result, a lot of credit to harry and the boys there!!!

#186 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 14:34

The only two places in the country not showing the Spurs' game were Derby and Leicester and I live in the latter. Drove around like a madman trying to find a pub with the game on, but to no avail. As a result,had to watch it on the usual unreliable streams and only saw bits and pieces.
1. We barely turned up for the first 35 minutes and lacked width. I couldn't see where a goal was coming from at that stage. I suspect that 'Arry decided to bench Lennon in order to rest him and to keep the midfield tight, thereby denying them space. Conceding in the first ten minutes, in such circumstances, did us no favours.
2. I like Mad Willy but changing his boots with the game still in play was lamentable for a player of his experience. Having said that, his deliberate run across the keeper's vision was an intelligent piece of football without which Dawson would not have scored. nice1.gif Mad Willy.
3. From what I saw and judging by the comments on here, both Sandro and Kranjar did well. This is important because we need a good defensive midfielder and with the forwards not banging them in at the moment, it is important to have scoring options elsewhere.
4. This is the second year in a row that we have played this tricky fixture with significant absentees...to grab a win was an outstanding result. grinny.gif

#187 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 16:17

QUOTE (GJHSpurs @ Feb 13 2011, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
4. This is the second year in a row that we have played this tricky fixture with significant absentees...to grab a win was an outstanding result. grinny.gif

Yeah you're right we had this similar kind of spell last year with games against Wigan, Stoke and Pompey when we had quite some injuries and the goals came from Kranjcar and also Pav and Gudjohnsen. It's good to see that our supposed strength & depth can step up when needed. Pav had a nice little hot streak last year, let's hope Kranjcar can go on a roll as well with maybe Defoe or Pav also starting to find the net again.

#188 Guest_Raj_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 16:20

"Gallas had an injection in his ankle before the game and they bandaged his ankle. He was in pain and felt his boots were too tight," said Redknapp.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...rem/9396158.stm

Nice words on Krancjar in the interview too

#189 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 17:47

Finally settled down to watch the ESPN coverage of this game, so will offer the following ratings based on being at the game and then double checking with tv coverage.

Gomes - 6.5 - solid all the way through. Theatrics were a bit weird but f*** it.

Gallas, Ekotto, Corluka , Dawson - 7s - 7's all round, thought they all worked hard and contributed in different ways, don't have a bad word to say about any of them.

Jenas - 7- Lots of dig from Jermaine and a few nice tackles. Lacks the quality of our first choice players, but he's been doing all that can be asked from him lately and I'm pleased for him. A goal here and there would be nice for the run in, he's done it in the past.

Sandro 7.5 - Woah ! Amazing for him to have his break out game ! Been tentatively saying he needs more time, so this was a wonderful surprise. He recovered from the bad start where ur midfield looked off pace and broke up play all day long. Strong in the tackle, good at not diving in though and nipping the ball away without over committing. Also, the timing of some of his runs was brilliant, I'd never seen that aspect to his game before. Tall, good reading of game for a youngster and moves the ball along nicely. Really chuffed ! If he plays more games like this he could develop past Palacios quite quickly ! Joint MOTM

Kranjcar - 7.5 Deserves the joint award for his smashing winner. Again worked hard like the whole team.

Pienaar - 6 Hustled and bussled without every really doing much. Seems to have good work ethic though

Pav 6.5 Much like the Jenas haters have over criticized some of his performances, the same seems to happen to Pav. To label him on a par with Defoe and write off his performance as 'same old usual s***' or whatever is discriminatory. He linked up with players a lot better than JD, and believe it or not I counted FOUR slide tackles made and several headers won in the air !! An improvement in effort and linkage, even though he wasn't able to affect the game with a goal or anything.

Defoe - 5.5 Decent running about but looks bereft of any ability to impose his will and contribute decisively. One goal could change everything. He certainly never gave up.

Lastly, a shout out to the 15-20 odd Scottish Yids, that surprised me with their existence and made the journey back up on the train all the more enjoyable !!

#190 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 20:17

QUOTE (aussispurs @ Feb 12 2011, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... actually i dont agree!

big surprise really! you seem to be evolving into my ideological adversary!

not that it matters though, as always, we appreciate any and all the contributions to planet spurs!

happy posting!

#191 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 21:16

I seem to be dis-agreeing with you alot lately as well Kev. boxing.gif although mostly over Pav and Crouch wink.gif .

Didn't see this match and only have motd highlights to go by.

Another determined performance from our SQUAD, and what pleased me the most is that there is life without VDV, Bale, Modric and Lennon, some of our fringe players could walk into 75% of prem sides, and yes that includes JJ.

If any one of our strikers decides to start scoring goals then i believe we will get CL again.

Well done Kranky, another quality strike. (makes the training with Beckham worthwhile lmao.gif )

#192 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 21:42

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ Feb 14 2011, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seem to be dis-agreeing with you alot lately as well Kev. boxing.gif although mostly over Pav and Crouch wink.gif .

haha, you too? it's officially a conspiracy now!

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users