Planet Spurs Forums: UEFA Champions League (Final 16): AC Milan 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

UEFA Champions League (Final 16): AC Milan 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur Tuesday 15 February, KO: 19:45 GMT, San Siro

#1 Guest_Stephan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 February 2011 - 17:32

We return to the European big time after surprising everyone in Europe by finishing top of the group ahead of current European champions Internazionale. In the Final 16 we face Italian giants AC Milan. The first fixture will be the away game at the San Siro on February 15th.

Since the January window some things have changed at Milan. They brought in Emanuelson from Ajax, Vila from Espanyol, signed Van Bommel on a 6 months contract and also added Antonio Cassano to their striking options. What looked like a fading squad has certainly been given a boost by the recent signings.

AC Milan have been top of the Serie A continuously since early November. They have had a mixed run of late, winning 2 and drawing 4 of their last 6 games. This has given their rivals Napoli and Inter the chance to close the gap at the top to 3 and 4 points respectively.

Spurs are looking to boost their chances with the likely return of both Gareth Bale and Luka Modric.

#2 Guest_stoxy1_*

Posted 10 February 2011 - 20:15

wow this tie is looking alot harder than when the draw came out

#3 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 10 February 2011 - 20:35

gonna be a really tough match.

i have to be honest, our best asset in this matchup is our pace.

no bale and lennon on our flanks and we will have a REALLY tough time doing anything useful against milan. they are solid through the middle and their counter attacks with robinho, cassano, pato and ibra are going to be extraordinarily difficult to handle.

#4 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 10 February 2011 - 23:17

Agree with the pace thing, Milan are notorious for having old experienced players but recently they have upgraded with the likes of robinho and emanuelson to add to players like Pato. Attacking wise we must look to Bale and Lennon to beat players with their pace. Ive been very impressed with Lennon this season, still cant cross but he has contributed with cutting into the middle and has scored a couple of very important goals. This will be a great test for him. Our defence must be really up for this, slightly concerned about who will play at right back as i'm not totally convinced by hutton or corluka. Gomes please have a good game. praying.gif

#5 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:19

Champions league knock out stages are all about defending away from home and making sure the tie is alive for the return home leg. Some will say attack is the best form of defence but on this occasion i dont agree.

We need to be really solid. I dont think i see modric, vdv, bale and lennon all playing in the first leg but they will in the return. Dawson, gallas, bae and corluka are essential. Probably play palacios, jenas, vdv, pienaar and lennon in a 5 man midfield with crouch up top.

no room for defoe, bale is not fit and nor is modric.

#6 Guest_simsima_*

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:38

I feel if we can nick an away goal, we will go on and win the tie over 2 legs

#7 Guest_thfcalan_*

Posted 11 February 2011 - 14:55

Really exceited about this fixture, but the result is completly up in the air, you would be right in suggesting that in Europe your defence away from home is crucial but i dont see that as Harry's phoilosphy, were attack and press and gamble, maybe it will come off, maybe it wont? Going on our European outings so far this season the only thing we can be sure of that this will be a specticle and that were have alot of highs and lows during the 90mins. I would love for us to walk away with a score draw, 1-1 sounds pefect, but id be pretty contempt with a 1-0 or a 2-1 loss and take them back to the Lane with that, at home i fancy us against anbody (except maybe Barca). Bale, VDV and Modders i would hope at least 2 are fit and available to play, ideally all 3 ofcorse, all so important to the team!

#8 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 11 February 2011 - 15:18

Nesta and Pirlo are back in contention as well.

#9 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 11 February 2011 - 15:32

Pirlo is s***, but Nesta being back for them is big if he can make it.

Out of Bale/Modric/VDV, I'd prob take them in that order of importance for the away leg. Bale for his pace which will scare them senseless, Modric for his passing and ball retention. If we can have Lennon/Bale on the wings, we'll be set up well for an away game.

#10 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 12 February 2011 - 19:47

AC Milan bounced back to winning ways with a 4-0 thrashing of Parma at the San Siro on Saturday to maintain their grip on the Serie A leadership.

Caught Cassano's goal, fluid attacking play, class goal. No doubt we will have our hands full come tuesday night. I'm begining to feel a bit sick hiding.gif

Goals: Seedorf, Cassano, Robinho (2)

#11 User is offline   1940Spursman8 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:obviously spurs-Xbox (Hayjax) music c/western.

Posted 12 February 2011 - 21:13

Well if our main players are missing ie;Bale--Modric--VdV--Lennon what more can
I say this is going to be a monumental game.We will not be able to play our fast
attacking football that we are known for;we need to be as solid at the back as we
can and not to do anything stupid.If we could get a draw away from home I
would be so very happy and then we could deal with them back at White Hart Lane.
Hopefully our injured players would be back for our home game at least.
I do not know if any of them will be fit for Tuesday's game if they were it would be
a bonus.This is where Harry will earn his money to get us through these two games.
I really am hoping and keeping my fingers crossed for this one and everything else.
1940Spursman8...coys///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// crest.gif

#12 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 12 February 2011 - 21:48

As mentioned before. As long as we come away with either a draw or a 1 goal margin defeat we have a set up to finish them off at White Hart Lane. The fact we first play away is so vital.

#13 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2011 - 22:19

Harry said that Bale is more than likely out for the Milan trip but I hope he is either playing mind games or that Bale at least makes the bench. VDV should be back and h*ll probably come in for Pavlyuchenko or at least I would expect that and possibly Crouch for Defoe. If Modric is fit Sandro may lose his place, although I would expect Sandro to lose his place regardless as it is a very big game.

Simply cannot wait to watch this match. Its what weve all been dreaming about for years and I for one am not ready for it to end just yet. XD COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!

#14 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 00:25

QUOTE (ChrisPienaar @ Feb 12 2011, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Modric is fit Sandro may lose his place, although I would expect Sandro to lose his place regardless as it is a very big game.

Given Sandro is actually on our squad list for the CL as of January. I think most will remember that painful story that 'Arry had to send him back home when Sandro joined the lads on Stansted Airport while he wasn't included in our CL squad. I'm not sure he is on the list. I've only seen the squad list update for the Premier League.

#15 Guest_hdhotdog_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 15:53

I really think Dawson is our most important player in this first leg. Yesterday, he got skinned by Nedham Onuha, as well as others and has looked shakey since he returned from injury. Causing both early goals at Fulham and getting sent off, and giving the ball away for Boltons goal. Against Robiniho, Pato, Ibra etc he cant afford to be anything but his best.

I thought this was an easyish tie at first, I put us slight favourites. Now time has got closer, I have Milan as slight favourites.

#16 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 16:13

QUOTE (hdhotdog @ Feb 13 2011, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really think Dawson is our most important player in this first leg. Yesterday, he got skinned by Nedham Onuha, as well as others and has looked shakey since he returned from injury. Causing both early goals at Fulham and getting sent off, and giving the ball away for Boltons goal. Against Robiniho, Pato, Ibra etc he cant afford to be anything but his best.

I thought this was an easyish tie at first, I put us slight favourites. Now time has got closer, I have Milan as slight favourites.

I don't know how fit Woodgate is but maybe this is the kind of game where his experience is valuable.

#17 Guest_hdhotdog_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 16:23

QUOTE (Stephan @ Feb 13 2011, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know how fit Woodgate is but maybe this is the kind of game where his experience is valuable.

I actually said to my cousin at half time yesterday that I would of liked Woodgate to get 45 mins, just so we can see what sort of stage he is at now and how he copes. He is such a cool defender, never jumps in and always uses his head. Which is exactly what we need midweek.

I think playing him though would be too much of a risk for his first game back, hopefully we can give him some game time soon, and he will be ready for the second leg.

#18 Guest_Raj_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 16:46

Agree on Dawson needing to give a great performance, especially with guys like Robinho and Ibrahimovich who are known for skinnin guys in dangerous positions.

Also need a disciplined midfield to cope with their movement, can't be losing guys like Seedorf Pirlo etc

#19 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 16:48

QUOTE (Raj @ Feb 13 2011, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree on Dawson needing to give a great performance, especially with guys like Robinho and Ibrahimovich who are known for skinnin guys in dangerous positions.

Also need a disciplined midfield to cope with their movement, can't be losing guys like Seedorf Pirlo etc

Pirlo is s*** nowadays. We should let him trying to dictate their play. His passing is absolutely woeful. Seedorf is still brilliant on the ball, but off it he's vulnerable of getting overrun for pace.

#20 Guest_Vinny_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 17:10

Pirlo is out. Think van bommel is cup tied, so assume Flamini will play unless they put in another attacker.

Very nervous about this one, I think we'll find it difficult. Agree with the consensus about Dawson, has looked shaky recently. And we don't want a repeat of his performance vs Young Boys away. If Woodgate had played just a few mins first team football this season, i'd throw him in. As it is, think Harry will stick with Daws and Gallas.

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users