Planet Spurs Forums: UEFA Champions League (Final 16): AC Milan 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

UEFA Champions League (Final 16): AC Milan 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur Tuesday 15 February, KO: 19:45 GMT, San Siro

#21 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 17:19

The crucial thing is to avoid an early goal. The away defeats to Young Boys and Inter Milan must serve as a warning not to be over-adventurous 'early doors'. I would start 4-5-1 and keep the midfield tight...denying them space. Initially, I thought starting Lennon as sub might further this approach but his pace would be useful on the counter and provide an important attacking outlet. Gonna be hard, but if we can keep any deficit to just one goal, we would have a decent chance to progress.

#22 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 17:57

A season ago, I'd have taken us to easily beat them over two legs. However, the introduction of Robinho, Ibra, Cassano et al has changed this situation. I now find myself trembling with fear over what Ibra and Cassano, who are both in form, could do to our defence on Tuesday night. Unfortunately, its been shown that, sometimes, our defence doesn't even bother to show up for the first 15 minutes. If they aren't all at the apex of their game from the off, we will be f***ed.

I'd take a 1-1 of course, but even a 1-2 reverse would leave us in a decent position for the game at WHL.

#23 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 18:11

Btw, I came across this suggestion on another site, but if Bale is fit, what would people say to Kranjcar playing in the hole with VDV as our striker ? Not VDV's best position, but seriously, our strikers haven't been doing anything at all. Whilst VDV isn't a natural out and out striker, he has a superb shot from all ranges, has perfectly decent pace, clever movement, great first touch, works hard if need be and has played there from time to time in the past/ shown a capability to play with his back to goal. Him and Kranky could potentially link up very well with their creativity, quick brains and together both provide a shooting threat He couldn't be any worse than Defoe/Pav right now as a replacement for them. Crouch brings different qualities to the lot, of course, so he is a seperate issue.

This also isn't purely a suggestion for Tuesday night, but rathe something we could also maybe se in the PL. With a full team with Modric/Bale/VDV/Lennon/Kranjcar in it we would have a h*ll of a lot of players with great technique and a sprinkling of other things like pace/shooting ability/movement amongst them all.

#24 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 18:11

If only WE had Van Bommel to kick the living s*** out of Ibra. Luckily he's cup tied for them laugh.gif

#25 Guest_Vinny_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 18:53

QUOTE (EuanW @ Feb 13 2011, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Btw, I came across this suggestion on another site, but if Bale is fit, what would people say to Kranjcar playing in the hole with VDV as our striker ? Not VDV's best position, but seriously, our strikers haven't been doing anything at all. Whilst VDV isn't a natural out and out striker, he has a superb shot from all ranges, has perfectly decent pace, clever movement, great first touch, works hard if need be and has played there from time to time in the past/ shown a capability to play with his back to goal. Him and Kranky could potentially link up very well with their creativity, quick brains and together both provide a shooting threat He couldn't be any worse than Defoe/Pav right now as a replacement for them. Crouch brings different qualities to the lot, of course, so he is a seperate issue.

This also isn't purely a suggestion for Tuesday night, but rathe something we could also maybe se in the PL. With a full team with Modric/Bale/VDV/Lennon/Kranjcar in it we would have a h*ll of a lot of players with great technique and a sprinkling of other things like pace/shooting ability/movement amongst them all.

Interesting idea Euan. I'd suggest that if Crouch plays it's a slightly different style of football, but if Harry was planning to play Pav/Defoe up front on their own instead, then you could certainly justify that Vdv with Kranj behind might be a better idea. Vdv lacks the speed to create a yard of space in which to shoot - but that is negligable since he will have already created that yard with his clever thinking. That system would give us a lot of poise on the ball, certainly aiding our ball retention away from home. Usually I would start Defoe instead but given his current form, this could be a plan!
Question for Euan/Stephan/anyone who watches a bit of Serie A - are Milan really lacking that much pace at the back? Or are people just saying that because of the age of their side? I'd guess their midfield is a bit slow but wouldn't know about their defence.

#26 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 13 February 2011 - 20:38

there really is a strong chance Bale will play.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#27 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:05

QUOTE (journeyman @ Feb 13 2011, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there really is a strong chance Bale will play.

Theres been contradicting stories all day, this is the latest on sky sports:
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11675_6750836,00.html

Looks like he wont be playing unless of course Harry is doing one of his favourite things, saying something definitely wont happen and then it does.

"I'd like to be able to scare Milan and say he's going to be available, but he's not," he told Sky Sports News.

#28 Guest_Vinny_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:40

The Guardian's 'Secret Footballer' is suggesting Bale may be fit...

#29 Guest_The Slikmeister_*

Posted 13 February 2011 - 23:32

This current Milan side are not your typical Italian side in a tactical sense.
Like us they win games using their attacking prowess and not by scoring a goal & shutting up shop.
Its not rocket science to figure out that they will come at us right from the off in a attempt to get a decent lead to bring over to WHL on 9th Mar.
Ive watched them online several times since we drew em & expect them to deploy their usual 4-3-1-2 formation.
All of the players they signed in Jan are unavailable for this tie so van Bommel & Casano are not gonna figure but they still have other players who can hurt us.
Upfront they will probably go with Ibrahimovic & Pato and in recent weeks Seedorf has played well enough in the hole just behind them to keep Robinho on the bench.
Of the midfield 3 Gattuso & Flamini will probably start & if Pirlo or Boateng arent fit usual CB Thiago Silva could be moved forward.
In defence Nesta looks likely to play with one other at CB with possibly Oddo & Abatte at FB.
If Harry is playing his usual mind games & all of our crocks are fit enough to play then i expect us to line up 4-4-1-1
.....................................Gomes

Corluka............Dawson.................. Gallas..................BAE

Lennon...............Jenas..................Modric................... Bale

........................................VdV

.....................................Crouch

If Bale misses out & VdV plays then Kranjcar will slot in at LM.
If Bale & VdV both miss out I expect Kranjcar to slot into VdV's position & Pienaar will slot in at LM.
If Modric doesnt play Palacios will probably slot in although on his showing yesterday up at Sunderland Sandro (if he's now eligible for the CL ko stage) must be in with a shout.
Tues nites game is gonna be a corker & I reckon we will see plenty of goals.
I expect Milan to score but more importantly I expect us to score too.
3-2 is my predicted scoreline, to whom?
My fingers are crossed!
COYS!!!

#30 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2011 - 23:47

Dont think Modders is gna make this one but regardless of who is fit i think Kranjcar HAS to play. You cannot take him off when he has scored 2 cracking goals in two games. If Bale is fit then of course Bale has to play but krank should play in the middle.

#31 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 00:19

Bale wont play, nor will modric.

I think we will go with

gomes
corluka, gallas, dawson, bae
Lennon, palacios, jenas, Pienaar
vdv, crouch

I think harry will go with the pace of lennon and peinaar over the skills of krancjar. I am very happy with our back 4 and confident they can be solid, but the midfield concerns me. I think we will see alot of "out balls" to crouch from deep.

Its about remaining solid, working hard and closing them down. I dont think we will be trying to win it, more like playing the spoliers and hitting on the counter and at set pieces. To do that you got to have a couple of outlets, which will be the pace of lennon, height of crouch and guille of VDV.

I can see a two goal loss, which would not be the end of the world. Three would be though.

#32 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 00:24

I'll expect that team too Aussi, except I'd like Kranjcar in, instead of Pienaar.

#33 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 00:34

QUOTE (EuanW @ Feb 14 2011, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll expect that team too Aussi, except I'd like Kranjcar in, instead of Pienaar.

If Sandro is registered I would play him and Palacios. We need defensive muscle in European away games. We need to get a favourable result in order to finish it off at home.

#34 Guest_stoxy1_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:05

jenas is suspended for this one so he wont play.

i expect us to start with crouch up front, hopefully bale's fit in which case id play:
gomes
corluka dawson gallas vdv
lennon palacios krancjar bale/pienaar
vdv
crouch

#35 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:43

[quote name='stoxy1' date='Feb 14 2011, 01:05 AM' post='243658']

are you sure about that??

#36 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:26

id do this:
gomes
charlie, dawson, gallas, benny
lennon, sandro, palacios, kranjcar
vdv
crouch

we definitely will have the weaker squad than milan in this game. at full strength id give us a better chance of dictating play, but i can't see us doing that in this game with our current squad. i think we will have to sit deep, absorb pressure, and look to hit them on the counter.

ball winners all over the pitch. i was extremely impressed with sandro over the weekend and think his size will be of great importance to us. we will be so physical and rock solid if we start palacios and sandro in midfield together.

crouch should benefit from continental reffing and venue. no matter how good nesta and thiago silva are he can still do them in the air. maybe he can even win us a penalty? he seems most likely to do so out of our team to me.

im thinking we can give lennon and kranjcar free roles if we have palacios and sandro patrolling the back line. i want to see lennon switching from wing to wing to test each sides full back. i think crouch, vdv and kranjcar can put together some good hold up play. i know how palacios looks offensively, but let's give sandro license to get into the milan box to give us another target in the air. palacios strictly patrolling the back four.

bale 65' for sandro or palacios with niko shifting inside
hutton 70' for charlie or lennon depending on if we are chasing or consolidating lead
defoe in at half if crouch looks ineffective or late when defending a lead (to run around and hassle the back line). pav on late if we are chasing.

#37 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:28

QUOTE (stoxy1 @ Feb 14 2011, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i expect us to start with crouch up front, hopefully bale's fit in which case id play:
gomes
corluka dawson gallas vdv
lennon palacios krancjar bale/pienaar
vdv
crouch

vdv at left back? im guessing you meant benny.

#38 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:54

I'm more worried about Charlie vs Robinho in this match tbh; I think Hutton would be a better option, Robinho is prob their quickest player and will most likely try to blitz the right side. First 30 mins are crucial, if we can just be solid and not conceade it wil put us in good stead. Has Pato been playing for them recently? Last time I watched him he was world class, I have no clue what kind of formation they play and their starting 11 going to be one heck of a tough game with our depleted squad (if the threesome are injured).

#39 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:56

QUOTE (SevenSteps2Kevin @ Feb 14 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
id do this:
gomes
charlie, dawson, gallas, benny
lennon, sandro, palacios, kranjcar
vdv
crouch

Like the starting line up; Although not sure about the free roles for our wingers, Azza will def need to help out Charlie down the right if Robinho is running down the wing and BAE although brilliant sometimes will need some help down the left to take pressure off him. Def advocate 4-5-1 in this match although with our injuries I reckon he might be forced to play 4-4-2? Maybe JD can finally break his bad spell in this match praying.gif

#40 Guest_stoxy1_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:09

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9396732.stm

so bale doesnt travel and harry confirms that sandro and palacios will start.
krancjar should start left side again.

says crouch is doubt? anyone know any info on this?

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users