Planet Spurs Forums: UEFA Champions League (Final 16): AC Milan 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

UEFA Champions League (Final 16): AC Milan 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur Tuesday 15 February, KO: 19:45 GMT, San Siro

#41 Guest_Irving Squalor_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:30

Bad back for Crouch too apparently.

So no Bale, Huddlestone, Jenas, Crouch, Modric or Kaboul. It doesn't look great does it? praying.gif

#42 Guest_obi_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:53

vinny, in their back four they have thiago silva who is fairly fastcfor a centre defender. also left back antonini(or something like that) is not slow at all. i would expect them to suffer from lack of speed more in the middle field if they go with the veteran stars. off course they also have flamini and boateng to bring speed instead of pirlo,gattuso,seedorf,ambrosini etc. (haaven't seen many matches from them in last couple season, but this is how i see it)

nesta positioning will mostly likely cover his "slowness" to some extent. it would have been nice to see bale againts oddo, but i have faith in Niko also to beat him with other qualities. They are missing pato i think?

overall i expect a really thought game for us and it might even turn ugly. on the other hand if we bring our best game there draw or even a narrow victory should't be impossible even with our best players missing

#43 Guest_Irving Squalor_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 13:06

Boateng & Ambrosini are injured. Van Bommel, Cassano & Emanuaelson are ineligible.

#44 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 13:15

QUOTE (Irving Squalor @ Feb 14 2011, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Boateng & Ambrosini are injured. Van Bommel, Cassano & Emanuaelson are ineligible.

Surprised Cassano is ineligible. He played in the UEFA Europa League but I thought players were allowed to switch competitions in January when they are transferred.

#45 Guest_Irving Squalor_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 13:38

It's because he's already appeared for Sampdoria in this years's CL - before he got the sack that is.

#46 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 13:54

QUOTE (Irving Squalor @ Feb 14 2011, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's because he's already appeared for Sampdoria in this years's CL - before he got the sack that is.

Samp didn't play CL but Europa League.

Edit: Now I see. Sampdoria participated in the play-off round of the qualification stages of the CL. Hence, he is indeed ineligible.

#47 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 14:37

Thiago Silve looks to be stepping into the midfield to cover injuries there. They are weak at right back with either Oddo or Abate playing in this one. Oddo is 34 and slow, Abate just isn't very good.

Yepes and Nesta are both in their mid thirties. Nesta's postioning is still great, but together, they really don't have much pace......

Guys, you just need to look at English clubs performances against Italian teams of late, to see what we can do. Except for Inter last year, our pace and power has been blasting Serie A teams apart. We're slightly unfortunate in that we are getting Milan as they are on the ascendency, and with a WC forward line, but we could still overpower their old midfield and defence.

Infact, the more I think about their WC front line, weaknesses and they way we play, the more I think there could be an avalanche of goals over the two legs....

Abbiati

Oddo/Abate
Nesta
Yepes
Antonini

Thiago Silva
Gattuso
Seedorf/Flamini

Robinho

Ibrahimovic
Pato

Boys, we can get at that team, even without Bale. If we play at the PL pace all of Nesta/Yepes/Oddo/Seedorf/Gattuso could be overcome. They all have been in the past. Palacios/Sandro should try to help our fullbacks/snuff out Robinho, and we can hope that Ibra has one of his games where he doesn't turn up. Pato is relatively untested against British opposition.

#48 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 14:42

Ajax was able to beat Milan 2-0 in the group stage. They were p!ss poor during that game. That game gives me a lot of confidence that we will be able to beat them. Ajax simply played Eriksen between the lines and so destroyed their midfield. We can do the same with Van der Vaart.

#49 Guest_TommoSpur_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 15:47

QUOTE (Stephan @ Feb 14 2011, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ajax was able to beat Milan 2-0 in the group stage. They were p!ss poor during that game. That game gives me a lot of confidence that we will be able to beat them. Ajax simply played Eriksen between the lines and so destroyed their midfield. We can do the same with Van der Vaart.

That gives me some hope actually (the key injuries are worrying me a bit), forgot about that result.
Saw Eriksen live for the first time against England last week, the press were absolutely crowing about him after the match - very impressive for his age.
Lot of big clubs already sniffing about I hear, but a couple of years more at Ajax before a big money move would be preferable to his development no doubt.
We must score in Milan, you don't win in the knockouts without away goals.

#50 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 17:27

Don't know if this vid has been put up before, but its a fantastic diary of the year 2010, and takes us nicely to the fruits of our labour that we should all enjoy tomorrow no matter the result !!

#51 Guest_Vinny_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 17:39

Obi/Euan - thanks for the info. I remember when I always used to buy Yepes from River Plate on Champ Man - hope Milan put in as bad a performance as my ChampMan sides used to do!

Going to be a really interesting game - not sure how to call it at all. Niko and Vdv's ball retention skills will be important, and it's vital Palacios and Sandro are on their game - I worry that if we concede possession to often we'll be made to pay. I feel playing an Italian side might actually suit Sandro's game, fingers crossed.
The defence will need to be top notch - concerned a little bit about Corluka and also Dawson on current form, it's important those two don't get turned around by Robinho's pace or they'll be in trouble. If we can keep him in front of us hopefully the DMs can take care of him. Then the CBs only have Pato and Ibracadabra to worry about!!
Not really fussed whether Crouch is fit, would start him if he is or pop Defoe up if not, despite his form. Reckon Crouch will play even if not fully fit though.

#52 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 21:31

With jenas out i expect we will play palacios and sandro (not much else to choose from) and that really concerns me. we will be basically absorbing 90 minutes of pressure hoping to hold on. The last time we played these two guys together was against everton (i think) and we were soundly over-run.

WE need someone in the midfield who can put their foot on the ball and hold the game up. Maybe vdv will have to play deeper in a real 4-5-1 rather than 4-4-1-1? In which case we will need pace on the wings and that probably means pienaar over krancjar.

#53 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 21:47

4-4-2 ? VDV and Lennon on the wings? Defoe and Pav up front?

If Crouch is fit we have a chance with 4-5-1, if not forget it.

#54 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 22:00

Crouchie will be fit, you can tell its one of those ones where he'll make it.

If not then 4-5-1 with VDV and Defoe. JD's pace could cause problems for Milan running into space, and the Italian game today isn't of the same standard physically.

#55 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 22:21

Worried about JD as one up, if we get pinned back there is no out ball. We will need to control possession with Wilson and Sandy shock.gif

Expect lots of dirty little fouls if Lennon brings it out.

#56 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 22:24

Out ball over the top into space, let Defoe run channels all day ala Arsenal away in second half, they won't like the ground he can cover.

#57 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 22:32

I don't like it, but , i don't fancy VDV in a 4-4-2 against good opposition. Whichever way we go, be it Crouch or Defoe, if it isn't working he needs to change it.

#58 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 22:36

Running off Crouch with VDV ,Lennon, and even Pienaar is less scary, specially as JD is on his arse at the moment.

But, like they say, we're a good cup side praying.gif

#59 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 22:40

VDV as a 4-5-1, not 4-4-2 altho I'm confused now ! Only play JD if Crouc isn't fit.

Gomes

Corluka
Gallas
Dawson
Ekotto

Lennon
Palacios
VDV (sitting infront of Wilson and Sandro
Sandro
Kranjcar

Crouch/Defoe

Has to be methinks. VDV and Jimmy can swap about if need be. Wilson needs to be under strict instructions to play a short simple ball thats on, or hoof it. None of the across the goal stuff he cant manage. Gallas and Dawson need to step up big and take the CM's though this one BIG TIME

#60 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 23:00

Thanks for the insight to the Milan team guys, you've def got me more optimistic now; Just hope the occassion doesn't get too much for the players, hopefully we'll get a positive result!

Euan that 4-5-1 formation/starting line up looks good, think we are 95% sure that Arry will pack a 5 man midfield. Although the 4-4-2 wouldn't be bad with Azza on the left and Rafa on the right, but 4-5-1 should in theory keep it tight for us which is vital for this away game. Modders looks like he will be on the bench.

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users