Planet Spurs Forums: Blackpool 3-1 Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 18 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Blackpool 3-1 Tottenham Hotspur Tuesday 22 February, KO: 20:00 GMT, Bloomfield Road

#21 Guest_stoxy1_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:52

reports suggesting vdv is out until 6th march so he wont play!

#22 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 21 February 2011 - 13:02

Bale and VDV are out for tomorrow, think 4-4-2 will suit us better but its still a blow. With Blackpool being such an open team Lennon is going to be key (once again) in Bales absence.

Gomes
Hutton Gallas Dawson BAE
Lennon Palacios Modric Kranjcar
Defoe Pavlyuchenko

Will more or less play that team I think. I hope our injured players come back soon. Could use Huddlestone and Kaboul as we near the end of the season.

#23 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 21 February 2011 - 13:50

Team News:

Rafael van der Vaart has joined the injury list ahead of Tuesday’s trip to Blackpool with a calf problem.

The Dutchman will miss the visit to Bloomfield Road, along with Vedran Corluka (ankle) and Jonathan Woodgate (adductor muscle).

‘Rafa’ returned from a similar injury in time to face AC Milan in the Champions League last week, but manager Harry Redknapp today reported a re-occurrence of the problem in training on Sunday.

He said: “Rafa’s had a bit of a problem with the calf. He missed a couple of games but then came back, played in Milan and got through 65 or 70 minutes there. Then he felt it yesterday morning and didn’t feel good.

“He’s a fantastic player and we need him, but we can’t seem to get that run of games out of him. When he plays he’s been great for us.

“I think he missed pre-season, that was a problem for him. He was away at the World Cup and missed getting that fitness behind him, so he’s just picked up niggly injuries since then.

“Hopefully he won’t be too long. I’m hoping he’ll be back for the Wolves game. It’s not a tear, it just tightened up on him.”

Harry continued: "Jonathan got a bit of a setback in Milan when he came on and felt a bit of a twinge. We thought at first it looked pretty bad again but it’s not too bad and he’s working his way back again. Another week or so and he should be back in full training.

"Charlie’s had his scans and he’s going to be out for a little while. We’re not sure how long it will be before he’s fit to play."

On a brighter note, Luka Modric is fully fit again following his appendix operation having played the final half-hour at the San Siro and Jermaine Jenas is available for selection again having served a European suspension in Milan.

Longer-term absentees Gareth Bale (back), Tom Huddlestone (ankle), Younes Kaboul (knee) and Ledley King (groin) all remain sidelined, but Harry hopes to see progress over the coming weeks.

He added: “We were supposed play Arsenal this weekend but they’re in the Carling Cup Final so that gives us a break until Wolves the following Sunday. This break will give us a chance to get a few of them back.

“Gareth’s slowly improving so hopefully he’s on his way back. Ledley’s had his operation and he’s doing a bit of running and working outside with the fitness coaches so hopefully it won’t be long before we get him back.

“Younes will start getting closer after the break and Tom’s working hard but is still quite a way off. But it gives us a bit of time to get one or two of them back into the squad.”

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/artic...ews-210211.html?

#24 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 21 February 2011 - 13:53

Strangeness re: Hutton... Will be interesting to see if he is in the team/squad tomorrow.

No doubt due to injuries we will most likely resort to a 4-4-2. Same lineup Chris has put.

Sandro was impressive though, not sure about going too defensive; Pace is key in this game, gutted we don't have Bale but we must make the most out of Azza. Have to be rock solid for set pieces too, try not to give away too many corners or free kicks in dangerous area's and a big big chance for Defoe to break his duck!

#25 Guest_stoxy1_*

Posted 21 February 2011 - 13:57

i know palacios and sandro were sensational against ac milan... and im not suggesting this is what i would do but can anyone see harry bringing jenas back into the team?

#26 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 21 February 2011 - 15:31

QUOTE (stoxy1 @ Feb 21 2011, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i know palacios and sandro were sensational against ac milan... and im not suggesting this is what i would do but can anyone see harry bringing jenas back into the team?

Totally forgot JJ's back for this game!

I would change the team to:

Gomes
Hutton Daws Gallas BAE
Lennon Palacios Jenas Modric
Krancjar
Defoe

Really think Niko can play the same role as vdv, or play as a second striker...

#27 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 21 February 2011 - 15:46

Gomes
Hutton Dawson Gallas Assou-Ekotto
Lennon Palacios Modric Kranjcar
Defoe Crouch

To be honest I'd like to rest Modric as quick as possible. We could start him and hopefully we are 2 up after 60 minutes and sub on Sandro or Jenas. He's just back from that appendicitis surgery and we shouldn't rush him back like we did twice with VDV this season.

#28 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 21 February 2011 - 15:50

I'd go with Stephan's team.

Picking Pienaar proved to be the right move for the Milan game, but this one is definitely a chance to give Kranky another start that he deserves, so I would like to see him get the nod. His and Modric's creativity together could carve the adventurous Blackpool open, hopefully.

Start Crouchy and Defoe together. If Defoe scores it'll boost his confidence, if Crouchie scores then hopefully he can go on a run of goals coming off the back of Milan.

#29 Guest_stoxy1_*

Posted 21 February 2011 - 15:56

QUOTE (David_Jeenola @ Feb 21 2011, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gomes
Hutton Daws Gallas BAE
Krancjar
Defoe

agreed, i would play this team. krancjar would thrive in that position without the responsibilities of having to defend

#30 Guest_bracknellyid_*

Posted 21 February 2011 - 16:04

QUOTE (David_Jeenola @ Feb 21 2011, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gomes
Hutton Daws Gallas BAE
Krancjar
Defoe

I think it has been proven in the past that playing our most gifted central midfiled player out wide is a mistake.

As good as Niko has been its madness playing Modric out of position to suit him. Blackpool are as open as a barn door in the centre and Moddy could terrorise them.

Gomes
Hutton
Daws
Gallas
BAE
Lennon
Sandro
Modric
Niko
Defoe
Crouch

#31 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 21 February 2011 - 16:10

Interesting Brackers, the Palacios/Sandro conundrum is one that I've been swaying on...

Part of me thinks we should roll with Sandro's two awesome performances and back him to the hilt. His confidence would grow further and he might never look back. That may be too good an opportunity to turn down, as I''m sure we'd all hope that Sandro will go on to become a better player than Wilson.

I'm happy with either, but yeah, I can see a massive case for Sandro to be retained.

#32 Guest_bracknellyid_*

Posted 21 February 2011 - 16:14

QUOTE (EuanW @ Feb 21 2011, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting Brackers, the Palacios/Sandro conundrum is one that I've been swaying on...

Part of me thinks we should roll with Sandro's two awesome performances and back him to the hilt. His confidence would grow further and he might never look back. That may be too good an opportunity to turn down, as I''m sure we'd all hope that Sandro will go on to become a better player than Wilson.

I'm happy with either, but yeah, I can see a massive case for Sandro to be retained.

My thinking is simple. Blackpool are so open in the middle and they can be "got at"

Sandro is more of a technical player than Wilson so i think this game suits him. Bolton, Blackburn, Stoke etc are the type of games that i would choose Wilson out of the two but i think tomorrow is a great chance to allow Sandro to play his natural game away from WHL.

Plus im starting to belive that Modric is so good that even i could get away with playing in the middle with him against Blackpool!!

#33 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 21 February 2011 - 16:22

QUOTE (EuanW @ Feb 21 2011, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree we should definitely give Sandro another run out. I just think we can better start with Modric since he's a proven source of creativity going forward. As soon as we are sitting comfortably we can bring Sandro on for either Modric, or bring him on for Palacios and use Pienaar as sub for Modric.

#34 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 21 February 2011 - 16:28

QUOTE (bracknellyid @ Feb 21 2011, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My thinking is simple. Blackpool are so open in the middle and they can be "got at"

Sandro is more of a technical player than Wilson so i think this game suits him. Bolton, Blackburn, Stoke etc are the type of games that i would choose Wilson out of the two but i think tomorrow is a great chance to allow Sandro to play his natural game away from WHL.

Plus im starting to belive that Modric is so good that even i could get away with playing in the middle with him against Blackpool!!

Good answer, you've made my mind up.

#35 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 22 February 2011 - 00:06

i would leave Modric on the bench for this one, bring him on if we need him later.

Jenas and one of Sandro or Wilson would be ok to start with, i'd probably lean towards Wilson.

Also, i would start with Pienaar, bring Kranky on if needed (don't fancy him starting away from home).

Up top is difficult, Crouch is our best option away from home, but we can't play him in every game and if we go with Pav and Defoe we will need Modric on the pitch.

Hutton should be ok in this fixture even though i'm not his biggest fan, but we have no choice.

Whichever team we put out, our bench allows us to change things providing our back 4 remain un-hurt.

If we can shut Blackpool out we will win, so i'd rather we started off solid and controlled possesion of the ball.

#36 Guest_Vinny_*

Posted 22 February 2011 - 13:04

An article from the Guardian's website yesterday suggests Hutton is injured and quotes Harry as saying 'William Gallas will play right-back probably'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/21/tottenham-harry-redknapp-champions- league?INTCMP=SRCH

Doesn't mention Hutton is injured on the official site though, I don't think.

#37 Guest_Vinny_*

Posted 22 February 2011 - 13:07

I guess the big question is over the system we play - 4-4-2 being so sccessful in our last few league games, 4-5-1 working beautifully in Milan last week. Personally, I hope we go 4-4-2.
Modric will start, for sure. So leaves Jenas, Sandro, Palacios, Kranjcar, Pienaar, Crouch, Defoe and Pav all vying for places. No idea what Harry will do. No idea what i'd do, to be honest!

#38 Guest_bracknellyid_*

Posted 22 February 2011 - 13:28

Sky sports match preview ahead of tonight's clash.

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_pr...3350662,00.html

#39 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 22 February 2011 - 13:46

QUOTE (Vinny @ Feb 22 2011, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess the big question is over the system we play - 4-4-2 being so sccessful in our last few league games, 4-5-1 working beautifully in Milan last week. Personally, I hope we go 4-4-2.
Modric will start, for sure. So leaves Jenas, Sandro, Palacios, Kranjcar, Pienaar, Crouch, Defoe and Pav all vying for places. No idea what Harry will do. No idea what i'd do, to be honest!

Strangely, the predicted CM pairing on that link is the one i would not like at all, Modric and Jenas leaves us open with no natural holding midfielder, its an option, but not one i would start with. I'd prefer one or the other as i don't feel we need to take any risks in this match. A holding CM will help our defence out as it will yet again be shuffled around, with Gallas having to possibly play ay RB and i presume Bassong coming into the middle.

If we invite Blackpool on, we may struggle to get out. But , as i said, we have the abillity to change this and go on the attack!!

#40 Guest_Vinny_*

Posted 22 February 2011 - 14:14

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ Feb 22 2011, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Strangely, the predicted CM pairing on that link is the one i would not like at all, Modric and Jenas leaves us open with no natural holding midfielder, its an option, but not one i would start with. I'd prefer one or the other as i don't feel we need to take any risks in this match. A holding CM will help our defence out as it will yet again be shuffled around, with Gallas having to possibly play ay RB and i presume Bassong coming into the middle.

If we invite Blackpool on, we may struggle to get out. But , as i said, we have the abillity to change this and go on the attack!!

I agree, wouldn't mind Jenas and Modders at home, but possibly not away. I'd be half tempted to prefer Sandro, but you know what you're getting with Wilson - tough call for Harry. Having said that, I wouldn't be particularly surprised if he did play Jenas and Modric.
I too would start Pienaar ahead of Kranj in this one.
Feel it could be quite an entertaining game tonight, with Blackpool usually displaying an open, attacking approach similar to ours, and I assume we'll try and fight fire with fire, so to speak. Looking forward to it.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users